British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paulco

Glasgow v Redcar KO Cup 5/7/19@19.30

1 hour ago, BigBoaby said:

Two sides to every story.  The one I heard was that Havelock "milked" it and demanded more money for a rider that wanted to leave and not be part of his team anyway.

You say "in the main it hasn't worked".  What exactly hasn't worked.  The stadium has been overhauled with better facilities and better track.  The league position has also generally been higher than previously and the team competitive.  And the past few seasons have brought financial stability.

By any standards that's a massive improvement.  So in the main it has worked.

The changing of personnel - there will always be a high turnover of riders in speedway so long as averages dictate team building, whereby those perceived to be on a falling average are ditched and those on a rising average are hired.

Actually Summers approached Havelock and told him what Glasgow had offered, Havelock said he didn't blame him for taking what was an amount way above what he'd imagined. As I said, your trophy cabinet is hardly bulging, I also said that Speedway here would be better for having more promoters with the financial backing of yours. Yes they certainly have made a nicer stadium and facilities but I never actually mentioned them. It seems some people on here are developing a complex about any sort of criticism, most of which would seem like nothing more than banter and the usual fan rivalry, with possibly a bit of jealousy in a very few cases.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

It’s a forum.Everybody can have their opinion.It doesn’t change anything.

Yes its a forum.  But opinions should be without vindictiveness.  There's no place for vindictiveness and immaturity.

Just now, BigBoaby said:

Yes its a forum.  But opinions should be without vindictiveness.  There's no place for vindictiveness and immaturity.

People are what they are and you have to accept that, if you can't then maybe you'd be better elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foamfence said:

Actually Summers approached Havelock and told him what Glasgow had offered, Havelock said he didn't blame him for taking what was an amount way above what he'd imagined. As I said, your trophy cabinet is hardly bulging, I also said that Speedway here would be better for having more promoters with the financial backing of yours. Yes they certainly have made a nicer stadium and facilities but I never actually mentioned them. It seems some people on here are developing a complex about any sort of criticism, most of which would seem like nothing more than banter and the usual fan rivalry, with possibly a bit of jealousy in a very few cases.

Why the small-minded sarcasm and vindictiveness, really there's no need.

You say "your".  I never mentioned a team.

Just now, foamfence said:

People are what they are and you have to accept that, if you can't then maybe you'd be better elsewhere.

No, this is a public place, and it is incumbent upon us all to behave with maturity.  If you can't then perhaps it is you whom should consider as you have suggested.

I find it odd here there seems a lot of resentment/jealousy/wrong over someone with money involved with Speedway. In other sports cash rival spurs others to seek finance- here it is as if others wish to drag all to their level ...odd

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Icicle said:

I find it odd here there seems a lot of resentment/jealousy/wrong over someone with money involved with Speedway. In other sports cash rival spurs others to seek finance- here it is as if others wish to drag all to their level ...odd

We had exactly the same when Rick Frost bought Peterborough, of course Speedway is funny in that you also need someone who can put a team together, get them to work and coupled with a fair bit of luck to get trophies and as Glasgow have found out chucking money at something doesn’t always work.

Glasgow certainly haven’t won much since Dickson left, seemed to me to be someone who knew how it all works.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tyretrax said:

Pity not more people through the turnstile to help it pay it's way.

Unfortunately not but it’s the same at every club.

10 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

We had exactly the same when Rick Frost bought Peterborough, of course Speedway is funny in that you also need someone who can put a team together, get them to work and coupled with a fair bit of luck to get trophies and as Glasgow have found out chucking money at something doesn’t always work.

Glasgow certainly haven’t won much since Dickson left, seemed to me to be someone who knew how it all works.

You say "chucking money".  Whereas they spent most of it on purchasing the stadium, repairing it, overhauling it and improving it as well as the track.

The real benefit would appear to have been in a generally competitive team compared to previously being at the bottom of the league and having stability.

It isn't that long since Dickson left so give it time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Unfortunately not but it’s the same at every club.

Unfortunately, you are right of course.

Guest Loose Diamond
2 hours ago, dorothy58 said:

Everyone hates Glasgow now that they have money behind them , jealousy is a terrible thing. It wasn't that long ago that we were threatened with closure and at the bottom of the league, year after year but we still went home and away to support the team. We always congratulate the team that has beaten us. The money jibes are getting very tiresome.

I do not want to see any team close. Quite envious of any good sponsor any team has. You can have banter but really it should not go over the top. I remember with Newcastle tours of Canterbury ( Saturday nights.) Then Eastbourne on Sunday afternoon. Was always brilliant. Always a least one coach load of fans. At Canterbury we all stood together. And there was good banter between opposing fans. Sometimes got a bit heated but but afterwards always friendly. No matter what the result generally 40-38 to the Diamonds. Hahaha! Not the same now. Newcastle fans never seem to stand together any more but generally only usually about 2 to about maybe 10 at some away matches.

5 minutes ago, Loose Diamond said:

I remember with Newcastle tours of Canterbury ( Saturday nights.) Then Eastbourne on Sunday afternoon. Was always brilliant. Always a least one coach load of fans. At Canterbury we all stood together. And there was good banter between opposing fans. Sometimes got a bit heated but but afterwards always friendly. No matter what the result generally 40-38 to the Diamonds. Hahaha! Not the same now. Newcastle fans never seem to stand together any more but generally only usually about 2 to about maybe 10 at some away matches.

Sounds as if that was in early 80's when you had Joe Owen (11 point average), Rod Hunter (10.5 ave), Bobby Beaton (10.25), and Alan Emerson (about 8 point ave).  That was some team!!

Edited by BigBoaby

Guest Loose Diamond
52 minutes ago, BigBoaby said:

Sounds as if that was in early 80's when you had Joe Owen (11 point average), Rod Hunter (10.5 ave), Bobby Beaton (10.25), and Alan Emerson (about 8 point ave).  That was some team!!

Probably Barghy ( David Bargh.) As well! 75 to 80.

Guest Loose Diamond
1 hour ago, BigBoaby said:

Would never be allowed now. About 50points team limit!!!! Those were the days! 2 valve Jawa's and all that!! Maybe beginning of 4 valvers. Joe had a Neil Street 4 valve Jawa's conversion. Never used to have any problems with it. Not like now. Revving at about 14000. Rpm. Ready to blow up on the stand!!!

Folk hoping we get beat isn't vindictiveness,  everyone is entitled to support whoever they want . And if folk hate us because they think we're some sort of moneybags club , then that's fine too,  I've no issue with that . It won't stop me enjoying going to watch the Tigers home and away . 

• Like 6