British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Leicester vs Eastbourne 05/07/19

2 hours ago, gazzac said:

I did mean Redcar probably favourite for the cup, not sure the semi final draw has been made yet. 

I am sorry, but how do you work that out. For Redcar to be probably favourites for the cup. Three trick tracks, as opposed to the fairest track in the league. Eastbourne clear favourites for me.

• Like 1

In order of ' Trick Tracks ' Eastbourne has to be the trickiest, then Edinburgh, very few visiting riders like Newcastle and Redcar appear to rate as the fairest track in the Championship ( See Steve Worrells comments in the S/Star a few weeks ago ).

On that basis Eastbourne are favourites with an Edinburgh ,Eastbourne final.

whats the odds?

Think by these last 3 opinions,  just shows what an open competition it is. I do think tracks are tricky rather than trick, and although not often,teams have come to Eastie, mastered our small tricky track and reaped the rewards. When Josh Pickering guested for Leicester earlier on he didn't have any problem having never riden there (I think), and certainly was a major factor in Leicesters league win. Think a lot of riders are already beaten mentally on arrival, come with the attitude of Pickering or Broc Nicoll and it's a different story. Have to say Eastie at the moment don't seem to have that attitude on their away tricky tracks for them, whoever does will probably win it. 

2 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

In order of ' Trick Tracks ' Eastbourne has to be the trickiest, then Edinburgh, very few visiting riders like Newcastle and Redcar appear to rate as the fairest track in the Championship ( See Steve Worrells comments in the S/Star a few weeks ago ).

whats the odds?

Trick track - for goodness sake, get a grip. It is no more a trick track than any other. When King's Lynn were in the middle league (Premier was it then?) the vast majority of teams could just not ride the track. It didn't make King's Lynn a trick track.

As Gazzac says - tracks and be tricky not trick.

The trick track fallacy is just rolled up by the fans and sometimes riders/management of teams who don't do well.

It's an excuse - and a poor one at that - for their inabilities.

• Like 3

If you care to put your reading glasses on you will see ' Trick Track ' is in symonims meaning a term widely used, not necessarily that it is a trick track. 

All three of the tracks mentioned are not your average speedway track, different in size and shape to what most fans would regard as a regular shaped speedway track.

I obviously touched a nerve.

20 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

If you care to put your reading glasses on you will see ' Trick Track ' is in symonims meaning a term widely used, not necessarily that it is a trick track. 

All three of the tracks mentioned are not your average speedway track, different in size and shape to what most fans would regard as a regular shaped speedway track.

Perhaps you should have said “ Technical Tracks”:D

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Perhaps you should have said “ Technical Tracks”:D

Or maybe one where you need a bit more skill. 

• Like 3

Just now, SPEEDY69 said:

Agree, that’s how I see it too.

27 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Skill is required on a level playing field where all is equal, then skill rises to the top.

Not required so much on a ' technical ' track where home knowledge can replace skill.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

A bit of familiarity and practice does not go amiss either

8 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

I might  wish to claim that Leicester is the perfect 'trick' track -- it is just plain odd in my view.

However, riders go to tracks so frequently these days, nothing should surprise them.

You do a dis-service to refer to a track as 'trick'- as I said before and it is a very lame excuse.

Some tracks are technical others full on.

If a rider is schooled on a technical track, a full on track is a nightmare.

Go to the NDL and Belle Vue is a trick track because riders don't see this sort of circuit anywhere else.

All tracks are trick tracks - unless you are a rider who can (fill in the blanks)

some of the latter races involving Kennett / Nicholls / Harris and Douglas were as good as you'll see, Kennett often slagged off for his away form but seems to be enjoying speedway again and Nicholls is like a vintage wine, seems to get better with age.

Despite the sun delay (justified I think if conditions not safe) cracking speedway and as a neutral I cheered at various times for both sides and Heat 15 was worth admission alone.

• Like 1

Guest Loose Diamond
On 7/6/2019 at 5:13 PM, SPEEDY69 said:

Yes. Less throttle bash, more use of riders throttle control. When Newcastle were at Eastbourne certain riders were not very good and struggled for some reason. Maybe absence of riding there I have no idea. Steve Worrall was ok. Bjerre was ok, but others struggled a bit. Jorgensen and Max Clegg especially. I definitely thought Clegg would have rode the track better because he must have been there riding in the NL.

On 7/6/2019 at 1:28 PM, Fortythirtyeight said:

whats the odds?

A Track where a rider has to have the skill to "turn the bike" are not trick tracks, they are part of the sport and a good rider can ride any track.

If you are going to define good tracks by those where it's full throttle all the way round you are totally missing the point of the sport.

Redcar is an excellent track but nothing at all wrong with Eastbourne, Edinburgh or Newcastle and all can serve up great Racing and so regularly.

• Like 2