British Speedway Forum
Old Crusader

Plymouth v Kent 5th

1 minute ago, Jonnybegood said:

Halifax tiger , are you a paramedic ?

Can't say I am.

11 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I could accuse you of one or two things but not that. Its aimed at someone suggesting (quite ridiculously) that I am 'knowledgeable and most respected'.

For those unaware of the situation here, it should be pointed out that this vicious mob of foul mouthed, abusive, leering thugs are - with one exception - all in their 70's. 

I can well imagine how intimidated and terrified members of track staff and females spectators would be by this aged gang of appalling hoods - especially when 'Private Fraser' starts waving his walking stick about.

The simple fact is that they have all been attending Plymouth Speedway for 13 years without a single allegation or accusation of bad behaviour - until they started criticising the promotion, that is. They won't be the first or last refused entry to a speedway stadium on trumped up charges simply because they are vocal and if it is believed that banning some paying customers - and as I have said before, at least at one time loyal, committed and passionate paying customers - rather than trying to engage with them reasonably is good practice some training in PR is needed. Try Isle of Wight's Barry Bishop. He's a master at it. 

One final thing. I am due to come to Plymouth in a few weeks. Presumably if I hear someone swearing and report them, they will be similarly banned ? 

As an end to this debate, it does need to be put to bed I would say if they are in their 70's they should know better, foul language is and should not be tolerated in ANY arena.  My mind does wander though to the one or two things you could accuse me of, come and talk to me, you will find me a reasonable person  :-)

Talking to the promotion might be better than blazing things around on forums, I've found that works often  :-).

I hope you have further friends to stand with on your visit and that you don't indeed hear any bad language or swearing  :-)

11 minutes ago, Falcons50 said:

As an end to this debate, it does need to be put to bed I would say if they are in their 70's they should know better, foul language is and should not be tolerated in ANY arena.  My mind does wander though to the one or two things you could accuse me of, come and talk to me, you will find me a reasonable person  :-)

Talking to the promotion might be better than blazing things around on forums, I've found that works often  :-).

I hope you have further friends to stand with on your visit and that you don't indeed hear any bad language or swearing  :-)

In my experience, talking to promotions (in most cases) makes absolutely no difference whatsoever (I was be absolutely stunned when it did following criticism of Isle of Wight). Indeed, in this case one of the Dads Army lot offered to speak to Mark Phillips but got no response, and anyone who makes a statement on the lines that 'if you stopped coming to Plymouth Speedway it would make no difference. If I did it would close' doesn't inspire confidence that they would be a good listener. 

Just one final thing. Is it absolutely and definitely the case that swearing at Plymouth Speedway leads to an automatic and sine die ban ?

Edited by Halifaxtiger

I've not always seen eye to eye with the promotion at Plymouth so much so I was invited to manage the team in a challenge match which I duly obliged I did however appoint myself an assistant as it was my perogative had a thoroughly good time and a beer with mark Phillips after now always have a chat with him great guy works his bo***cks off to keep speedway going in plymouth deserves huge respect imo and because he's banned a tiny little group for using bad language and sexist comments should be commended not condemned imo.

Edited by lewy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lewy said:

I've not always seen eye to eye with the promotion at Plymouth so much so I was invited to manage the team in a challenge match which I duly obliged I did however appoint myself an assistant as it was my perogative had a thoroughly good time and a beer with mark Phillips after now always have a chat with him great guy works his bollocks off to keep speedway going in plymouth deserves huge respect imo and because he's banned a tiny little group for using bad language and sexist comments should be commended not condemned imo.

Glad to see there is still a place in society and the BSPA for eunuchs, that may explain why some of them have no bollocks at all and ban folk instead of trying to respect customer's views. Probably explains why some of them turn up late for meetings too, let's be honest if the majority of them sit about scratching their bollocks why turn up on time when you've got none? You'd have idiot all to do!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, lewy said:

I've not always seen eye to eye with the promotion at Plymouth so much so I was invited to manage the team in a challenge match which I duly obliged I did however appoint myself an assistant as it was my perogative had a thoroughly good time and a beer with mark Phillips after now always have a chat with him great guy works his bollocks off to keep speedway going in plymouth deserves huge respect imo and because he's banned a tiny little group for using bad language and sexist comments should be commended not condemned imo.

Says someone saying 'bollocks' on a public forum :rofl:

Until the Plymouth promotion issue a clear statement that any person found using bad language will be banned and take clear and ongoing action to enforce it (and that's anyone, not just those that criticise them) your remarks have no credence at all. 

Speaking to the Dads Army mob last night, they denied any swearing. I suspect, however, that that might have been the case at times. The sexist remarks, however, are just :rofl:

I repeat : how is that that this lot have never been barred - or even accused - in 13 years of attendance at Plymouth ? Or is that in their dotage they have suddenly become intimidating sex pests ? 

The other thing is the monumental stupidity of barring four paying customers. Its entirely possible that another few, angered by what has happened, will stop going as well. Including entrance fees, programmes food etc over a season that would probably be about £1,000, and that doesn't count any sponsorship or Cornishman Len's rip off race lottery, which no-one ever wins and whose proceeds go to the riders. 

For a promotion reportedly losing money hand over fist, it seems to me that they are doing their best to lose some more. 

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Sad 1

You only have to read some of Phillips’ comments on the Plymouth forum to understand how he treats his customers. Little wonder he and they are struggling really. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 10:51 AM, Falcons50 said:

I agree. Yet,today on Plymouth Gladiators Facebook page they are encouraging you to comment on some photos. Unbelievably, its a crash sequence, which is the cause of the poor track comments in the first place!

Cant make it up.

I was happily stood with Halifax Tiger and the so called trouble makers at Stoke last night. Great and loyal group of people. Hardly ever miss a Plymouth meeting,home or away. In my opinion, they have been treated very badly.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:51 AM, Falcons50 said:

To Falcon 50, No doubt you were there and have clear evidence of who said what? I can inform you that one Lady in front and two Lady's close by up in the stand plus many others around this group of speedway fans would tell you that at no time did these fans make any foul language or sexiest remarks ( yes myself plus quite a few others raised are voices about the state of the track ) some one said he heard plus another I hear. These accusations now are on the point of defamation, these accusations are unfounded and could have so easily been cleared up on the night. If Mark or some one else from the promotion would of asked the supports there and then this would have been cleared up and put to bed!  but instead a few launched an intensified attack  on a group of very loyal speedway supports.  There have been so many inaccuracies and false accusations made . At Stoke on Sat/I wished Mat and the team all the very best when they were on there track walk ,unfortunately it was not a good for the Gladiators .

I feel very strongly about how these accusation's have been made over forums with out any one contacting any of the accused and supporters who were there at the time.     I hold no malaise towards Mark and the Plymouth Gladiators and wish them all the very best for the rest of the season and the future.  But please in the future get the truth and correct facts  first before acting on them.

Edited by Mikebendone
  • Like 2

having been the Pit Marshall at Plymouth many many moons ago this bunch that are very vocal about their speedway are still going strong and being very vocal.. they have been this way since day one why change them now. I remember having strong words with them over the track fence for their shouting and their choice of words.

I will say the promoter shouldn't be heckled in any way i am sure Mark is doing all he can to provide the paying public a place to watch a sport they all love and in no way should he be held to ransom. He also has to make sure anyone else coming to the track enjoys their time and doesn't come to the track see's what is going on and thinks i wont go again so wanting to portray a family fun night of sport etc.. 

a permanent ban is a touch strong as these guys have been there since day one but a learning lesson maybe should have been employed for the betterment of anyone new visiting and giving the best impression of the club and sport. 

basically what i am getting at is the promotion are trying to get new people into the club as no club can support itself on a small number of regulars and this kind of vocal behaviour isnt always wanted or needed for the future of Plymouth Speedway lets face it if he shut the doors tomorrow where will they get their fix then if they are reading understand things from both sides of the fence and although your point may be valid and have a place in a discussion there are ways and means of getting your point across and usually they are to go and meet with the promoters and voice them now.

I know Mattie Bates will welcome a discussion as will Mark Phillips but doing things the wrong way will always get a sharp reaction and this is what they have got.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:34 AM, dazzafl said:

having been the Pit Marshall at Plymouth many many moons ago this bunch that are very vocal about their speedway are still going strong and being very vocal.. they have been this way since day one why change them now. I remember having strong words with them over the track fence for their shouting and their choice of words.

I will say the promoter shouldn't be heckled in any way i am sure Mark is doing all he can to provide the paying public a place to watch a sport they all love and in no way should he be held to ransom. He also has to make sure anyone else coming to the track enjoys their time and doesn't come to the track see's what is going on and thinks i wont go again so wanting to portray a family fun night of sport etc.. 

a permanent ban is a touch strong as these guys have been there since day one but a learning lesson maybe should have been employed for the betterment of anyone new visiting and giving the best impression of the club and sport. 

basically what i am getting at is the promotion are trying to get new people into the club as no club can support itself on a small number of regulars and this kind of vocal behaviour isnt always wanted or needed for the future of Plymouth Speedway lets face it if he shut the doors tomorrow where will they get their fix then if they are reading understand things from both sides of the fence and although your point may be valid and have a place in a discussion there are ways and means of getting your point across and usually they are to go and meet with the promoters and voice them now.

I know Mattie Bates will welcome a discussion as will Mark Phillips but doing things the wrong way will always get a sharp reaction and this is what they have got.

Just meet up with a few speedway supporters ( It now seems the bad language came from the end of bend two and the back straight stand)? this came from a lady how stands there!.

Plus like I have stated if you or the promoter would just ask this group of speedway supporters plus the 3 lady's who sat close by them ,plus the group of supports standing behind them in the stand,plus those sitting around them. This would be cleared up and then the truth would be out there for one and all.  The pointing of fingers with out the true facts, the many inaccuracies and accusations being made against them are unfounded.  Yes some of them have been quite vocal over the seasons and on the night about the track conditions. But have supported speedway at the new site (good and bad times).   I plus quite a few others, would willing meet with Mat or Mark over this matter.

55 minutes ago, Mikebendone said:

Just meet up with a few speedway supporters ( It now seems the bad language came from the end of bend two and the back straight stand)? this came from a lady how stands there!.

Plus like I have stated if you or the promoter would just ask this group of speedway supporters plus the 3 lady's who sat close by them ,plus the group of supports standing behind them in the stand,plus those sitting around them. This would be cleared up and then the truth would be out there for one and all.  The pointing of fingers with out the true facts, the many inaccuracies and accusations being made against them are unfounded.  Yes some of them have been quite vocal over the seasons and on the night about the track conditions. But have supported speedway at the new site (good and bad times).   I plus quite a few others, would willing meet with Mat or Mark over this matter.

why have you quoted me ?? just going by what was said.

this will go around and around the houses forever and saying it on here is in no way the best place to communicate 

3 hours ago, Mikebendone said:

I think you are wasting your time here.

You and your pals have been attending Plymouth Speedway for years. You have worked in the track, raised funds for the club, sponsored riders and the team and travelled all over the country to watch the Devils. Few can match that and, lets face it, that's the kind of supporter every club wants and needs.

In all those years, not a word has been said about your behaviour.  Its nonsense to suggest that you have turned into a foul mouthed sexist overnight, but that's precisely the reason for you and others being barred. I find it hard to believe that anyone is so naïve that they actually believe that. 

Truth is you have been barred because you have been vocally critical and, far, far worse, a lot of others agree with you. If you were alone, you'd be laughed at. You're not. 

Personally speaking, I think meeting with the promotion will be an utter waste of time - and they are not interested in talking to people around you because that will blow apart the reason for the ban -  because they have flat denied that anything is wrong. What precisely will be achieved if that is the attitude that you will face ? 

Edited by Halifaxtiger