Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

Cityrebel i take it you refer to Rye House ? ..mmmmm i wont go further ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, waco said:

Cityrebel i take it you refer to Rye House ? ..mmmmm i wont go further ?

My lips are sealed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at the Coliseum on friday & it was my first visit. And I WILL BE ATTENDING again. I would like to be positive about the venue & the meeting.It is a purpose built arena for speedway. There are many stands which allow for an elevated view. There is no greyhound track so as well as being elevated you are  closer to the action. To me the closer you are the better! And with no greyhound track there are no outsiders taking revenue out of the venue. All monies spent go to the promotion which can allow them to put it back into speedway. Access to the riders before the meeting is excellent there is plenty of time for getting autographs & photos. And up close to watch them working on their bikes or for having photos of them with fans in their leathers. These are the things I remembered when I was a child. I rarely remembered meetings it was getting autographs & having a pic with my favourite rider. There were many young faces at this meeting more than I`m used to at my home circuit. Also the club had invited the Exeter Aces cycle speedway team to attend to promote their club & sport.

The 2 crashes did cause delays but what a lovely evening waiting in the sunshine. Also, by curfew time we only lost the final heat of the second half. I paid £12 admission plus £2-50 for 20 heats which I feel was good value. A 46-44 first half & 16-14 second half. I had arrived at 3pm & walked the stadium & at that time the track staff were driving the tractor around in very hot temperatures & working on the track.

I thought that Ben Wilson (14 pts) Adam Extance (13+2) Rob Ledwith (9) had no problems & Anders Rowe looked very good & rode with aggression attacking the track. Drew Kemp also rode well but I thought he got to the corner with Richard Andrews in his heat & it looked from my angle that he was pushed out wider than he wanted to be which made him turn harder than he wanted to do which caused his highside. Glad to see he was okay.

The venue is helping younger riders to gain valuable track time. Good luck to young Ben Trigger for his forthcoming European excursion to Torun, Poland on 20th July.

Finally, all the very best wishes to Nathan Stoneman on a full recovery.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, steve69 said:

I was at the Coliseum on friday & it was my first visit. And I WILL BE ATTENDING again. I would like to be positive about the venue & the meeting.It is a purpose built arena for speedway. There are many stands which allow for an elevated view. There is no greyhound track so as well as being elevated you are  closer to the action. To me the closer you are the better! And with no greyhound track there are no outsiders taking revenue out of the venue. All monies spent go to the promotion which can allow them to put it back into speedway. Access to the riders before the meeting is excellent there is plenty of time for getting autographs & photos. And up close to watch them working on their bikes or for having photos of them with fans in their leathers. These are the things I remembered when I was a child. I rarely remembered meetings it was getting autographs & having a pic with my favourite rider. There were many young faces at this meeting more than I`m used to at my home circuit. Also the club had invited the Exeter Aces cycle speedway team to attend to promote their club & sport.

The 2 crashes did cause delays but what a lovely evening waiting in the sunshine. Also, by curfew time we only lost the final heat of the second half. I paid £12 admission plus £2-50 for 20 heats which I feel was good value. A 46-44 first half & 16-14 second half. I had arrived at 3pm & walked the stadium & at that time the track staff were driving the tractor around in very hot temperatures & working on the track.

I thought that Ben Wilson (14 pts) Adam Extance (13+2) Rob Ledwith (9) had no problems & Anders Rowe looked very good & rode with aggression attacking the track. Drew Kemp also rode well but I thought he got to the corner with Richard Andrews in his heat & it looked from my angle that he was pushed out wider than he wanted to be which made him turn harder than he wanted to do which caused his highside. Glad to see he was okay.

The venue is helping younger riders to gain valuable track time. Good luck to young Ben Trigger for his forthcoming European excursion to Torun, Poland on 20th July.

Finally, all the very best wishes to Nathan Stoneman on a full recovery.

Positive posts from a meeting are banned from the BSF arent they? Lol 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:33 AM, cityrebel said:

Most speedway promoters are in denial. They all think their product is perfect.

I think there are degrees of denial. Some promoters will be faced with criticism about something they can do little about or by fans wanting the earth. In those circumstances, denial is totally acceptable.

I have known Bob C for many years. He's a much travelled fan who has spent decades watching the sport and only ever tells it the way he sees it without any side whatsoever. If he says the track was dangerous, it was dangerous - a view that has been confirmed by others on the forum pages and by a text from a friend of mine who goes every week. 

So we have a promoter who simply won't admit that there are problems when it seems that the majority say there are. He needs to get real.

In addition, given the absolute shambles they made of the track only a couple of weeks ago, why should anyone believe that overnight they have turned into experts ? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I remember a long standing speedway promoter uttering those words a few years ago. The track in question is no more.

Me too...………...although I suspect it was a different one.

Their track is no more as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Wow. Been a good while since ive seen/heard a promoter say don't like it then don't come (or words to that effect). Its safe to say that the amazing way Barry/Martin and the IOW team handle criticism has not rubbed off on their South Coast counterparts.

I became a massive fan of the IOW promotion in 2016 - and have continued that way to this day - simply  (and perhaps bizarrely) because of the way they responded to criticism.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Monday at 11.30 the Plymouth Gladiators facebook page posted :

'Mark has been working on the track and sent over a video, we are hoping this will be the end of our track issues that we have had this season'

According to the promotions angry denials on the Plymouth forum, there was nothing wrong on Friday.

If that's the case, why were there still 'issues' on Monday and why was work needed then ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2019 at 3:59 PM, steve69 said:

I was at the Coliseum on friday & it was my first visit. And I WILL BE ATTENDING again. I would like to be positive about the venue & the meeting.It is a purpose built arena for speedway. There are many stands which allow for an elevated view. There is no greyhound track so as well as being elevated you are  closer to the action. To me the closer you are the better! And with no greyhound track there are no outsiders taking revenue out of the venue. All monies spent go to the promotion which can allow them to put it back into speedway. Access to the riders before the meeting is excellent there is plenty of time for getting autographs & photos. And up close to watch them working on their bikes or for having photos of them with fans in their leathers. These are the things I remembered when I was a child. I rarely remembered meetings it was getting autographs & having a pic with my favourite rider. There were many young faces at this meeting more than I`m used to at my home circuit. Also the club had invited the Exeter Aces cycle speedway team to attend to promote their club & sport.

The 2 crashes did cause delays but what a lovely evening waiting in the sunshine. Also, by curfew time we only lost the final heat of the second half. I paid £12 admission plus £2-50 for 20 heats which I feel was good value. A 46-44 first half & 16-14 second half. I had arrived at 3pm & walked the stadium & at that time the track staff were driving the tractor around in very hot temperatures & working on the track.

I thought that Ben Wilson (14 pts) Adam Extance (13+2) Rob Ledwith (9) had no problems & Anders Rowe looked very good & rode with aggression attacking the track. Drew Kemp also rode well but I thought he got to the corner with Richard Andrews in his heat & it looked from my angle that he was pushed out wider than he wanted to be which made him turn harder than he wanted to do which caused his highside. Glad to see he was okay.

The venue is helping younger riders to gain valuable track time. Good luck to young Ben Trigger for his forthcoming European excursion to Torun, Poland on 20th July.

Finally, all the very best wishes to Nathan Stoneman on a full recovery.

At last something positive about Friday nights meeting and not from a local, thank you :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

On Monday at 11.30 the Plymouth Gladiators facebook page posted :

'Mark has been working on the track and sent over a video, we are hoping this will be the end of our track issues that we have had this season'

According to the promotions angry denials on the Plymouth forum, there was nothing wrong on Friday.

If that's the case, why were there still 'issues' on Monday and why was work needed then ? 

Mark works on the track after every meeting as I would guess many other track staff do, it has to be worked on to remove any ruts and to get the surface back level and it has to be moved around for air and water to work on it, common sense really I would have thought. As both Mark and Richard Andrews said the track was good. The fact that Anders Rowe was fractions off a new track record in his first ride might point in that direction. Nathan has been carrying injury, that might well have to be taken into account on his falls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2019 at 8:30 AM, TurnTwo said:

Because Mattie Bates is absolutely clueless and spends more time writing rubbish on Facebook than actually doing a team managers job. 

Maybe you should go tell him that face to face and take the job on if you know so much !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Falcons50 said:

Mark works on the track after every meeting as I would guess many other track staff do, it has to be worked on to remove any ruts and to get the surface back level and it has to be moved around for air and water to work on it, common sense really I would have thought. As both Mark and Richard Andrews said the track was good. The fact that Anders Rowe was fractions off a new track record in his first ride might point in that direction. Nathan has been carrying injury, that might well have to be taken into account on his falls.

It's fair enough working on a track after a meeting- as you say, they all do it. 

The Facebook post, however, pointedly said that any 'track issues' would be sorted. 

According to the club responses to criticism on Friday, there's nothing wrong with the track.

I am therefore not sure how you can sort 'track issues ' when there aren't any.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Falcons50 said:

Maybe you should go tell him that face to face and take the job on if you know so much !!!

The criticism is a little harsh but there's little doubt that a team manager error cost Plymouth dearly on Friday. Matt Bates has admitted that himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could it be a sort of we shall say work is happening on the track even though there is nothing wrong with the track. Just so those people that spread there have been issues with the track think we are doing something so that they come back. in what is our normal routine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

It's fair enough working on a track after a meeting- as you say, they all do it. 

The Facebook post, however, pointedly said that any 'track issues' would be sorted. 

According to the club responses to criticism on Friday, there's nothing wrong with the track.

I am therefore not sure how you can sort 'track issues ' when there aren't any.

Have you watched / listened to the video clip or just read the header to the video, Mark has and does spend hours at the stadium working on both the track and many other aspects of a Friday night. When were you last at a meeting at Plymouth or are you just a keyboard  warrior ?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy