British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Kings Lynn v Poole Prem. 8th July 2019 BT Sports.

9 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Holder also struggled with conditions, as did Josh until it started to slacken off near the end.

Josh broke down in one race , maybe had bike issues until later on.Holder had bike issues in his first race. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tellboy said:

You are missing my point totally.I agree it's not the best racing i'm not afraid to admit that.But it is by no means unsafe.Something you could not admit about the Poole track on occasions.

Last season tell boy Swindon's track came under real scrutiny, there was the Leicester postponement Vaculiv got injured.On that occasion the weather was the main factor but a few weeks later we had huge problems on bend four Nick Morris fell three weeks on the trot in the same place.Our management recognised something had to be done and that led to them changing the shape of the track before the season started.This cost them money and we actually had to postpone the first meeting of the season look the place is still not perfect now but the racing has improved so much the track is getting better by the week.Poole on the other hand need to bite the bullet and rectify the problem straight away the track has looked dangerous at times and Shovlar by saying what he has about it is in complete denial.

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Last season tell boy Swindon's track came under real scrutiny, there was the Leicester postponement Vaculiv got injured.On that occasion the weather was the main factor but a few weeks later we had huge problems on bend four Nick Morris fell three weeks on the trot in the same place.Our management recognised something had to be done and that led to them changing the shape of the track before the season started.This cost them money and we actually had to postpone the first meeting of the season look the place is still not perfect now but the racing has improved so much the track is getting better by the week.Poole on the other hand need to bite the bullet and rectify the problem straight away the track has looked dangerous at times and Shovlar by saying what he has about it is in complete denial.

Did you not read or follow the Poole threads or any Poole news? I find it quite incredible that you don’t know that the Poole track was completely sorted several weeks ago and and is now in good condition. 

38 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Did you not read or follow the Poole threads or any Poole news? I find it quite incredible that you don’t know that the Poole track was completely sorted several weeks ago and and is now in good condition. 

With or without the holes? a cheap option a patched up job maybe it shows that Matt's heart is not in it anymore and he  is hanging on in there out of loyalty.In my opinion Swindon's racetrack is above Poole's now and week on week it is getting better and more consistent.Hand on heart two or three years ago i never would of  said that, you just dig  holes for yourself in total denial  all you had to say was there were some issues to deal with.None of the fans on the forum want Poole to be a poor track we all know when it is at it's best just how good it can be.

Edited by Sidney the robin

Poole’s poor track is just an easy stick to beat them with.  

When will MF make the signing/s to replace the likes of Worrall.  I always thought riders were queuing up to ride for Matt, or have those days gone ?

I think Tatum summed the track up perfectly when he said he cant remember another track using the clay based topping that gives so much grip .    This track is unique in the grip it has.

That alone is what saddlebow road has become.  over the past few years it has got progressively worse.   The racing on the other hand has all but gone.  We go there now knowing  we will only see processional races with most positional changes done by the start of the back straight.  its little wonder the spectacle has all but died.   Give me the old track any day...

I understand the arguments of the starting procedure, but I don't openly agree with them.   I preferred it when starting was a lottery and any of the 4 riders could make a getaway.  it created more and better racing,   But such is the importance of the start now, when riders of the calibre of Robert Lambert cant recover from a bad gate, it is essential   the good riders make them starts.   No doubt that's the reason the gate area is made more grippier than the rest. 

Yes it was a good win against the old enemy,   some riders performed very well.   But it was not a good meeting.    If we couldn't  beat the depleted side that Poole put out,  then would have been  pretty poor....  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, g13webb said:

That alone is what saddlebow road has become.  over the past few years it has got progressively worse.   The racing on the other hand has all but gone.  We go there now knowing  we will only see processional races with most positional changes done by the start of the back straight.  its little wonder the spectacle has all but died.   Give me the old track any day...

And Buster gives NOT a whit. There were certainly less than 1.000 fans there on Monday, As an advert for the sport at Saddlebow Road, why would anyone new even bother to think about showing up for a future match? The income from speedway supporters is clearly of little importance compared to income from other sources and keeping the sponsors happy on TV. Let's have 50 one lap races per match as this is, as you say, Mr Webb, where any regular passing takes place. 

12 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

King's Lynn has never been different from day dot, the track sits on a natural clay base. That cannot be changed. 

Not strictly true... I used to go to KL quite often over the last 30 years, to follow Coventry and as a neutral, and I live in Leicester, as it was generally always good value with the quality of racing... these days I vowed never to return after the Leicester match last season, but would struggle to muster the enthusiasm to attend if I lived a mile away. While the facilities have improved (the sand pit on the back straight!) the racing certainly hasn't. Anyway doesn't the track sit on a hard base?

5 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Our management recognised something had to be done and that led to them changing the shape of the track before the season started.

Wasn't this more due to the "new stadium"

4 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

the Poole track was completely sorted several weeks ago and and is now in good condition. 

For how long though?

4 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Matt's heart is not in it anymore and he  is hanging on in there out of loyalty.

He's hanging on until he can off load it for a reasonable price

1 hour ago, waytogo28 said:

There were certainly less than 1.000 fans there on Monday

A lot less!

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

Wasn't this more due to the "new stadium"

For how long though?

He's hanging on until he can off load it for a reasonable price

A lot less!

I used to go to KL quite often over the last 30 years, to follow Coventry and as a neutral, and I live in Leicester as it was generally always good value with the quality of racing... these days I vowed never to return after the Leicester match last season, but would struggle to muster the enthusiasm to attend if I lived a mile away. While the facilities have improved (the sand pit on the back straight!) the racing certainly hasn't

You are right Iainb the main reason the Abbey track was changed  was because of the new stadium( not convinced that will happen???) But the management knew the shape had to change the racing in the main for the last three years has been dire  and bend four certainly has had its  problems.Going back to your comment on Ford what has he got to sell?? ?? the promotional rights and the clubs rider assets that is all is that right?

That's the product the promoters dish up now. It's like having a bad meal at a restaurant, would you come back for more. The last three meetings i have attended were all run on slick and dusty tracks with little opportunity for any passing. These matches were all run in perfect Speedway weather, yet very little water was applied to the tracks. No thought is given to the paying punter. Getting covered in dust is all part of the fun.

5 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

That's the product the promoters dish up now. It's like having a bad meal at a restaurant, would you come back for more. The last three meetings i have attended were all run on slick and dusty tracks with little opportunity for any passing. These matches were all run in perfect Speedway weather, yet very little water was applied to the tracks. No thought is given to the paying punter. Getting covered in dust is all part of the fun.

Sounds like you are not enjoying your speedway City? at Swindon i have really enjoyed it not that it would take alot as the last few years have been awful bar the odd race.

13 hours ago, tellboy said:

Yes you do as i said earlier have to work you body harder on a grippier track.Maybe the Poole riders should visit the gym a few times before coming to the NA again:P

I just don't know how Toft manages to get around he must be the smallest rider on show most weeks at the NA:D

Isn't Josh's girlfriend a personal trainer or something? So think he's okay! 

27 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Sounds like you are not enjoying your speedway City? at Swindon i have really enjoyed it not that it would take alot as the last few years have been awful bar the odd race.

I just don't like poorly prepared tracks Sid. If they can't get it right in good weather, what hope do we have if it rains.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Isn't Josh's girlfriend a personal trainer or something? So think he's okay! 

It wasn't Josh having issues with the track , his bike had issues though.

On 7/8/2019 at 8:41 PM, therefused said:

This forum is an absolute state and does nothing to help speedway to be honest. 

Anyway moving on