British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waco

Eastbourne v Edinburgh sat 6th july

At this moment in time Alfie is not always in full control when turning the bike,,combine that with a rugged determination,and you have a rider that will progress with time...but few riders want to be immediately out side him at the moment.......that includes some of his own team i would imagine ?

Edited by waco
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, HGould said:

runner up wasn't he in National League Riders Final last season and a 9 point average, not sure where you think the lad should be riding as no NL side could fit him in, are you suggesting he retire?

Plenty older and far more experienced than him are in NL and shouldn't be like Clegg and Perks for starters.

Dont think he is a dirty rider from few occasions I've seen him.

Er, isn't Alfie OLDER than either Clegg or Perks?

52 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

Er, isn't Alfie OLDER than either Clegg or Perks?

22 according to Eagles website (late starter in Speedway) few matches in 2015 and 2016

Bowtell is 2 months older but less PL (none) and CL and NL experience than Perks who first rode NL in 2014

Clegg is also 22 but also has a lot more experience in NL especially - started NL in 2012!!!

Experience is the key factor not age -: Bowtell has less than Perks and a lot less than Clegg.

It is correct to say Alfie is not that experienced and riding In the championship being a very determined character he is on occasion riding beyond his skill capability,,,But riders of.his aggressiveness on track are usually those that eventually make the grade..when they eventually gain the control to go with it....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Part of the problem is that the NL was forced to accept a much lower points limit this season. Its a massive jump from the NL to the Championship and that meant that riders who would have benefitted from competing in both leagues could not.  

Word I got was that one NL side definitely wanted Bowtell for 2019 but he effectively ruled himself out. As such, its his own fault he doesn't have an NL place.

Question is - and despite Jon Cook's ridiculous views - should he be riding Championship ? 

He's averaging 2.64 according to the latest green sheets and that's hardly persuasive.

I don't think Bowtell is a dirty rider either but he can be reckless. Reckless isn't dirty, but it can have very much the same result.

Mr Cook’s recent criticism of riders in the Eastbourne team might also be a reason for Alfie’s harsh manoeuvre.

3 hours ago, GWC said:

Mr Cook’s recent criticism of riders in the Eastbourne team might also be a reason for Alfie’s harsh manoeuvre.

Wasn't he spared criticism? I thought it was aimed at Wood and Morley because they ride NL.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Yes you are correct Halifaxtiger, criticism was aimed squarely at Morley and Wood and their NL riding.  Mr Cook loves Alfie Bowtell  who in his words has " fire in his belly". 

Bowtell made great strides at the big open spaces at the IoW last season at NL level , but IMHO was never really consistent on the tighter turns at Lakeside  last season, and continues to struggle it seems at Arlington.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Yes you are correct Halifaxtiger, criticism was aimed squarely at Morley and Wood and their NL riding.  Mr Cook loves Alfie Bowtell  who in his words has " fire in his belly". 

Bowtell made great strides at the big open spaces at the IoW last season at NL level , but IMHO was never really consistent on the tighter turns at Lakeside  last season, and continues to struggle it seems at Arlington.

May be Cook was proved right after Saturday night :o

Eastbourne one of the few Teams not to make changes so far (other than enforced injury change for Brennan and Kyle Newman has done well averaging around 7 points).

Wonder if they might ship Morley or Bowtell out and freshen up for their 2 semi finals and try to find someone who can be more effective away from Arlington??

Limited by points though due to strong home form.

37 minutes ago, HGould said:

Eastbourne one of the few Teams not to make changes so far (other than enforced injury change for Brennan and Kyle Newman has done well averaging around 7 points).

Wonder if they might ship Morley or Bowtell out and freshen up for their 2 semi finals and try to find someone who can be more effective away from Arlington??

I genuinely think Eastie will persevere with the current team baring injurues, may come back to bite us in the semi finals, although still  have a chance in both with the current team. It may go against the general ethos of this league, mostly caused by the points limit,  but if they do keep with the current team, think they should be applauded picking a British team in the first place,  and sticking with them. Not many of the wholesale changes at other clubs have been welcomed with open arms by the fans.

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:40 AM, HGould said:

that's the issue, the n2 position is eastbournes real problem spot, its no fault of morleys really, kerrs increased average has negated kennetts dropping .

I bet they wish ulrich had been available after toms bad accident, him on 5.5 is a bargain.

If you did replace morley you've a very limited choice tbh

• Like 1

just announced where the eagles end of season presentation dinner is , herstmonceux castle no less. if jon cook ends up in the moat at the end of the evening i hope ben and georgie have got their alibi planned .

1 hour ago, ruckerroo said:

that's the issue, the n2 position is eastbournes real problem spot, its no fault of morleys really, kerrs increased average has negated kennetts dropping .

I bet they wish ulrich had been available after toms bad accident, him on 5.5 is a bargain.

If you did replace morley you've a very limited choice tbh

Ulrich or Kyle Newman?

After watch both at Birmingham and looking now and longer term I'd have Newman every time and he replaced Brennan and has 7 point average since.

No Brainer for me Newman 100 times out of 100 and they made right call there. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HGould said:

Ulrich or Kyle Newman?

After watch both at Birmingham and looking now and longer term I'd have Newman every time and he replaced Brennan and has 7 point average since.

No Brainer for me Newman 100 times out of 100 and they made right call there. 

not for me mr gould,ulrich 100 out of 100 here

21 minutes ago, gee jay said:

just announced where the eagles end of season presentation dinner is , herstmonceux castle no less. if jon cook ends up in the moat at the end of the evening i hope ben and georgie have got their alibi planned .

If he ends up in the moat at the start of the evening at least everyone can relax and enjoy the rest of their night

• Like 1