British Speedway Forum
britmet

Henry Long, R.I.P.

South Africa's greatest ever speedway rider, Henry Long, passed away today in Franschhoek, Western Cape, South Africa, aged 91.
In domestic and international competitions, he was the Union's top all-time points scorer, and appeared amongst the world's elite in the World Championship Final at Wembley Stadium, London of 1952, the first of only 2 African riders ever to qualify for a World Final.

Born in Alberton near Johannesburg in 1927, he started racing after the war at the nearby Old Barn track with Buddy Fuller and Fred Wills. When speedway racing started at the Wembley Stadium, Jo'burg in 1947 Henry's performances rapidly improved, and in the first international Test Series staged the following season against England he top-scored across both teams, and then travelled to the UK and Belle Vue for a 4-year stint in Manchester, culminating in his World Final appearance.
At home, he took 5 Wembley (Jo'burg) Open Championships and a similar number of SA National championships, limited only by his absences riding in the UK.

Henry Long retired in 1964 to concentrate on the family garage business set up by his father, where he was joined in partnership by fellow rider Roy Bester, before starting up a new fork-lift sale and hire business.
In August 2014 Henry suffered a stroke at home in Johannesburg, so relocated to Franschhoek, near Cape Town to be close to his daughter Sue. He passed away peacefully in the early hours of today, 8th July.
(Elder son Graham Long, who rode speedway in the 'seventies, passed away in 2017.)
HENRY LONG, 26.7.1927 - 8.7.2019 R.I.P.

CCJ
A fuller tribute will be posted onĀ  www.speedway-sa.com

Edited by britmet
  • Like 3

R.I.P. + Henry.