British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
idh

Somerset v Birmingham 10/07/19

20 hours ago, Gresham said:

I always found the Parade a little embarrassing...purely as the crowd are spread so thinly around the track. I guess it depends on where you are watching from. Going round bends 1 and 2 on a truck staring at an empty sweet hut and ice cream van can't do much for moral. That space is so wasted...viewing bends 1 and 2 is nigh on impossible at Somerset. However the view down back straight and bend 3 is superb.

I thought the pace of the meeting was good last night.

I just wish the viewing was better at bends 1 and 2 and that you could look into the pits, as that is also part of the experience imo.

There used to be banking around the 1st and 2nd bends which was always reasonably well filled. However when the air fence came back the viewing was blocked slightly and this area was cleared to create a decent parking area for the OTA clubhouse for when it is used for private functions - which no doubt provides much needed funds to help top up and fund the speedway.

• Like 2

I  have just seen the heat two of Somerset v Birmingham on you tube and  Danyon does look a more controlled rider.He was unlucky in that heat he needs to stick at it and don't get into the zone of over riding the points will come.I also think Shanes should be at number six he should have the harder rides he has more exsperience at this level.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

I  have just seen the heat two of Somerset v Birmingham on you tube and  Danyon does look a more controlled rider.He was unlucky in that heat he needs to stick at it and don't get into the zone of over riding the points will come.I also think Shanes should be at number six he should have the harder rides he has more exsperience at this level.

I have to say its been a bug bear of mine for a long time, either switch one of the rides so the 6 races other reserves 3 times rather than twice and the 7 gets a reserve in every ride. Or force the higher averaged reserve to ride at 6. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I have to say its been a bug bear of mine for a long time, either switch one of the rides so the 6 races other reserves 3 times rather than twice and the 7 gets a reserve in every ride. Or force the higher averaged reserve to ride at 6. 

It is so right what you are saying Sing's  a number six away often if he fails in heat 2 that is it he often loses his fourth ride as well.Shanes should be number 6 at Birmingham it definitely is one of the biggest mistakes in the rulebook for the Championship.

Wouldn't a tactically astute manager use the reserve switch to get around any 6/7 stipulation? just a thought ?

14 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Wouldn't a tactically astute manager use the reserve switch to get around any 6/7 stipulation? just a thought ?

Probably. Maybe fixed heats need to come into play for the reserves? However then there will be  mass of 2 min exclusions so that would need tightening up on. What we have currently though is the better reserve taking the easier rides whilst the other struggles, drops confidence, gets 3 rides a night and falls away. Whilst the system is great for survival of the fittest do we have enough riders to be this ruthless?

• Like 1

I think the biggest problem we have...isn't about the development of young riders? I think it's about creating/establishing a 'saleable' product to 'keep' and 'recruit', old/new fans respectively....

We need a Professional/Modern approach, to 'ignite' a dying product .....imo 

Easier said than done of course!

28 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I think the biggest problem we have...isn't about the development of young riders? I think it's about creating/establishing a 'saleable' product to 'keep' and 'recruit', old/new fans respectively....

We need a Professional/Modern approach, to 'ignite' a dying product .....imo 

Easier said than done of course!

I actually believe the product generally can still be top notch,  it can still be an enjoyable night out the rulebook is really one of my pet hates.

Might sound a bit of a stupid comment Sidney, but I think the 'speed' of the bikes may have taken some of the competitive edge off proceedings.....

I also miss the 'proper' smell, since the intro of the oil catcher?:)

1 minute ago, GiveusaB said:

Might sound a bit of a stupid comment Sidney, but I think the 'speed' of the bikes may have taken some of the competitive edge off proceedings.....

I actually think there is some truth in that. Riders are required to have the right engines for the right tracks now and those that don't will noticeably suffer. Because the way that bikes are also ridden any mistake during 4 laps and its virtually impossible to make ground due to the others opening such a large gap. 

• Like 1

As usual "too much technology" spoils things , speedway, football, F1, mobile phones, life.....

Edited by Icicle
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

A very good point indeed, i believe the old Swindon track ( long straights ) and King's Lynn ( shale) have been affected by the extra speed and unpredictability of the faster modern day machine.These two tracks were certainly up there in the top 8 tracks in yesteryear but both have regressed badly over the last few years which has badly affected there entertainment level.Swindon with it's changed track has vastly improved and we have seen some good racing there this season.King's Lynn maybe???? if it changed its shale that could help restore it back to it's  former glories,it was certainly once one of my favourite tracks to visit.

• Like 1