British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
idh

Somerset v Birmingham 10/07/19

13 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

We (B'ham) look considerably weaker than we did before a wheel was turned at the start of the season???

Obviously the 2 injured riders isn't helping.....but Hume and 'more so' Agertoft, have weakened us considerably. Strange decision???

How has Hume replacing Stoneman made you weaker? ? i presume Morris and Arnio will be back soon as well.

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Any idea on the crowds / atmosphere? I would imagine this one was a bit of a quiet damp squib?  

The crowd was decent, as was the racing. The scoreline doesn't do Brum justice, they kept it close for the majority of the meeting.

The track had new shale added this week. No blue line.

Times were quick.

Track was smooth after grading. Took a few riders to get used to it...Henry Atkins was lucky to walk away after lifting whilst leading...smacked the air fence straight on at speed.

All in all a good meeting, well presented and fluently.

Worth the admission alone to watch Ben Barker team ride excellently with Rowe for four laps...just like the old days...was a pleasure to watch.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Gresham said:

Worth the admission alone to watch Ben Barker team ride excellently with Rowe for four laps...just like the old days...was a pleasure to watch.

Replace Rowe with Jack Smith earlier this season at Redcar. Ben taking his left hand off the 'bars and pointing to where he wanted Jack to go.

Awful shame his baggage got too heavy for the club to continue carrying.

He'll probably take our half a team to the cleaners tomorrow, but hey that's life.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

How has Hume replacing Stoneman made you weaker? ? i presume Morris and Arnio will be back soon as well.

Quite right about Danyon and my 'frustration/question' isn't aimed at him, however I don't think his signing has strengthened us..... I thought Nathan was doing a great job and shouldn't have been dropped imo.

Danyon is/was a fans favourite and I'm sure he'll get dialled in after a few meetings....he's great to watch when on form

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GiveusaB said:

Quite right about Danyon and my 'frustration/question' isn't aimed at him, however I don't think his signing has strengthened us..... I thought Nathan was doing a great job and shouldn't have been dropped imo.

Danyon is/was a fans favourite and I'm sure he'll get dialled in after a few meetings....he's great to watch when on form

Nathan is injured as well & replaced at Plymouth with   Luke Chessell   on a 28 day contract

• Like 1

Just now, GiveusaB said:

Fair play GiveusaB my mistake, funny thing is i like Nathan as well he is exciting to watch and he was very unlucky.I remember him getting 9 against Eastbourne and he was battling really hard. A real tough ask that bridging the gap from NL to a fully fledged reserve at champs level us at Swindon have young Rowe as an asset and he is progressing nicely at Somerset.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gresham said:

The crowd was decent, as was the racing. The scoreline doesn't do Brum justice, they kept it close for the majority of the meeting.

The track had new shale added this week. No blue line.

Times were quick. 

Track was smooth after grading. Took a few riders to get used to it...Henry Atkins was lucky to walk away after lifting whilst leading...smacked the air fence straight on at speed.

All in all a good meeting, well presented and fluently. 

Good summary there. I agree. But a couple of things on the presentation side have room for improvement IMO:

1) Parade. We've started having just a helmet-free lap from the riders and an out-of-sight coin toss. The 'old' way had a much greater sense of occasion and was far better.

2) Excessive delay between heats (a real bugbear of mine). All the waiting around can get so tedious. A faster pace to a meeting is always more entertaining.

23 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

problem is Nathan goes on the deck every week, sadly, very injury prone

8 minutes ago, ruckerroo said:

problem is Nathan goes on the deck every week, sadly, very injury prone

Unfortunately that's something that Danyon and Nathan have in common then.

I guess it happens when you're a committed racer like they both are.

• Like 1

Danyon has not had much racing this year with the cubs only having a handful of matches so far but having seen him in all of these matches he looks a far better rider more in control I am  sure once he gets more continuous meetings every week he will be in the  points for both his championship and NL clubs 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry The Goat said:

Good summary there. I agree. But a couple of things on the presentation side have room for improvement IMO:

1) Parade. We've started having just a helmet-free lap from the riders and an out-of-sight coin toss. The 'old' way had a much greater sense of occasion and was far better.

2) Excessive delay between heats (a real bugbear of mine). All the waiting around can get so tedious. A faster pace to a meeting is always more entertaining.

I always found the Parade a little embarrassing...purely as the crowd are spread so thinly around the track. I guess it depends on where you are watching from. Going round bends 1 and 2 on a truck staring at an empty sweet hut and ice cream van can't do much for moral. That space is so wasted...viewing bends 1 and 2 is nigh on impossible at Somerset. However the view down back straight and bend 3 is superb.

I thought the pace of the meeting was good last night.

I just wish the viewing was better at bends 1 and 2 and that you could look into the pits, as that is also part of the experience imo.

Edited by Gresham

On 7/10/2019 at 1:43 PM, Ghosty said:

Will Roooooooooooooooo Boy have the track how he likes it?

How many knobs will be lost on the track the tonight?

Score Rebels 55 Brums 35 i.e. that's Birmingham to 20 points over 15 heats! However I would loved to be proved wrong Lawrence Rogers.............

I'm told Roo Boy liked the track. Think the track was Knob free & I predicted the final score!!!!!!!! Will have to buy myself a pint!!!!!!!! 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 10:31 PM, CountyGround said:

Nothing personal, but why were Birmingham permitted to sign Adam Ellis when it would have been known @ the time how many matches he would miss?    

What about the mysterious call-off coinciding a Wednesday when Ellis was unavailable?      

9 hours ago, CountyGround said:

What about the mysterious call-off coinciding a Wednesday when Ellis was unavailable?      

That was because the previous home meeting was rained off. This meant Ellis had not ridden a match for the team so no facility was available. Hence the cock and bull story and the call off. 

They would have known Ellis wasn’t available for that particular meeting and were expecting to use a guest but the previous rain off scuppered their plans 

Garbage sport the way fans are taken for granted and so disrespected 

Edited by the hobbit