British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HertsRacer

Joe Neath

With so many amazingly knowledgeable people on this site, I wonder if anybody could help me with any information about a rider called Joe Neath who rode in three open meetings at Rye House in 1960 as well as representing Rayleigh in a 4 team tournament.

It's an unusual surname, but one we share, and I would like to find out if we were related in any way. The only other rider I know of with this surname was Chris Neath, who I'm not directly related with.

Can't say I've heard of him before, and there isn't much to be found online. What I did find - and I assume it's the same guy - was that he went into sidecar speedway. There are records of him racing at Coventry in 1962 and at Norwich and Hednesford the following year. Unfortunately, even looking for more info with regard to the outfits doesn't lead anywhere.

One interesting thing is that at Norwich, he apparently raced against Harry Denton, who also rode solos. Harry rode in the "Stars of Tomorrow" meeting at King's Lynn in 1965 (at the age of 49 or 50!), but tragically lost his life at Adelaide's Rowley Park in November 1967.

Back to Joe Neath, and I wonder if he just dabbled in various forms of motorsport, without committing to any. I will keep looking...

Steve

38 minutes ago, chunky said:

Can't say I've heard of him before, and there isn't much to be found online. What I did find - and I assume it's the same guy - was that he went into sidecar speedway. There are records of him racing at Coventry in 1962 and at Norwich and Hednesford the following year. Unfortunately, even looking for more info with regard to the outfits doesn't lead anywhere.

One interesting thing is that at Norwich, he apparently raced against Harry Denton, who also rode solos. Harry rode in the "Stars of Tomorrow" meeting at King's Lynn in 1965 (at the age of 49 or 50!), but tragically lost his life at Adelaide's Rowley Park in November 1967.

Back to Joe Neath, and I wonder if he just dabbled in various forms of motorsport, without committing to any. I will keep looking...

Steve

Many thanks Steve, some great stuff there.

I can only find him riding speedway in early 1960, so he may well have just flirted with the sport and moved on. The fact he appeared at Coventry and Hednesford would suggest he may have been part of the Leicestershire branch of our family.

43 minutes ago, HertsRacer said:

The fact he appeared at Coventry and Hednesford would suggest he may have been part of the Leicestershire branch of our family.

That's one of the things I was looking for! The only tracks I have found multiple appearances were Rye and Coventry; everywhere else seems to be a one-off, but without complete records, it's difficult to tell.

There is one other item I found. It's a write-up in the Peterborough Advertiser from 17 June 1955, and references a line-up for a meeting. I can't access the complete article, but looking at some of the riders listed, it would suggest that it was at Norwich. Joe is listed with names such as Tip Mills, Ivor Brown, Malcolm Flood, Wal Morton, and Harold Sansby. Again, I am trying to find out more about that!

Steve

26 minutes ago, chunky said:

That's one of the things I was looking for! The only tracks I have found multiple appearances were Rye and Coventry; everywhere else seems to be a one-off, but without complete records, it's difficult to tell.

There is one other item I found. It's a write-up in the Peterborough Advertiser from 17 June 1955, and references a line-up for a meeting. I can't access the complete article, but looking at some of the riders listed, it would suggest that it was at Norwich. Joe is listed with names such as Tip Mills, Ivor Brown, Malcolm Flood, Wal Morton, and Harold Sansby. Again, I am trying to find out more about that!

Steve

Steve

Many thanks for that. I've managed to find the 1955 article (and others)  through the British Newspaper Archives. Seems he was a grass tracker before he tried speedway.

Once again thanks for all your efforts, very much appreciated.