British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sings4Speedway

MSDL Results no longer included in Speedway Star?

17 hours ago, Trees said:

I don't give a toss about race times these days because the way of recording them (to two decimal places!!!) is out of date, what we all want to know is was the race a great one .....

The way they are recorded is way out of date.

5 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

I AM told that info from the MSDL hasn't been forthcoming this season but there will be something in next week's issue.

That's an excellent reason to explain why the 'Speedway Star' has not been giving MSDL details. 

Edited by Guest

On 7/12/2019 at 8:27 AM, Grand Central said:

I have to say that I have totally lost patience with the mag this year ... Every Thursday I get more and more frustrated and disappointed with it.
I'm really unahappy with myself for leaving them after decades but my subscription will be ending at the next renewal.

Sadly I have to agree. Recently received my subscription renewal notification. To which, for many (many, never been without my Star) a year I have always automatically renewed.

Just can’t take to the new format. To me, it’s the front page headlines followed by back page(s) match results and meeting reports that are the initial go to. Never thought I would say it, I’m out. Just my opinion and feedback. 

• Like 1

I've e-mailed you all results and averages Phil, in case you want to use them.  They are what Laurence Rogers refers too, plus The British Speedway Website uploaded them from time to time (not this season so far), and they are used in the Peter Oakes yearbook.

I've had a lot of feedback from Promoters/ Riders and Families though Facebook, saying how thankful they are to me.

I can send you the same details at the end of each week/month is you want me to.

Regards
Mike  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hodgy said:

Sadly I have to agree. Recently received my subscription renewal notification. To which, for many (many, never been without my Star) a year I have always automatically renewed.

Just can’t take to the new format. To me, it’s the front page headlines followed by back page(s) match results and meeting reports that are the initial go to. Never thought I would say it, I’m out. Just my opinion and feedback. 

I still read all my copy okay other than the 'This Week In the Premiership, Championship or National League' by David Rowe, which I find a waste of time.
I'm with the brigade that would still like to see Heat times, but that's just because of the type of records I like to keep.  I'd also like to see less Overseas News, yet at the same time have to accept it's a world wide magazine, so they are entitled to information they are paying for.  Cut out the Grass Track stuff, as Motorcycle News may well cover that for their followers. 

Over the years (quite a few years ago now I must admit) I have provided match reports for speedway publications (I think the Speedway Mail was the main one), and I have NEVER been a paid any money for doing so, as has been the case over the years for writing articles in club programmes and providing quiz items, which I still do for Berwick.  I've always done these things, and still do in the Berwick programme, purely for my love of the sport, so don't understand why a press officer, or someone like myself, can't do the same for free.

Whether we like whats happened this year with speedway's only hard copy magazine or not, I applaud their efforts for battling on through very difficult financial times, and at £3 a copy (less by subscription), it represents far better value than a club programme at the same price.  With so many clubs using Curtis Sport to print their programmes  this year, and yes, they do provide a quality programme, so many clubs that you visit, you are reading the same article that you read in another clubs programme.  My local clubs are King's Lynn, Peterborough and Ipswich, and for a large part, once you've read one, you've read them all, so they become a waste of money.
For me, Scunthorpe come out tops with a nice little issue for just £1, and it provides everything that Joe public require.     

Finally, just going back over the many postings that have been made by everybody on the Speedway Star subject, and I honestly do respect all your opinions, because that is your entitlement, like the above is mine, don't lets forget that even in this day and age, a lot of people still don't have access to social media for their news.  Sometimes, it's because they are to old, and I'm not being disrespectful to anybody, to understand modern technology, or their limited pensions won't allow them to purchase such devices as Smart Phones, and I fall into the latter bracket.   

I do manage to use Facebook on my PC, but can't get my head round Twitter, Instagram and the like, as my brain is far to old to understand it all, so the Speedway Star is a blessing in disguise for people like myself.

As I said, I'm not running anybody's thoughts down, so please, no attacking me for sharing my own.

43 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

I've e-mailed you all results and averages Phil, in case you want to use them.  They are what Laurence Rogers refers too, plus The British Speedway Website uploaded them from time to time (not this season so far), and they are used in the Peter Oakes yearbook.

I've had a lot of feedback from Promoters/ Riders and Families though Facebook, saying how thankful they are to me.

I can send you the same details at the end of each week/month is you want me to.

Regards
Mike  

THANKS ... will pass on to Andrew Skeels (Editor)

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 8:08 AM, Mimmo said:

Regards
Mike  

I have been  a member on several active Facebook pages for some years. So far as I can recall none of them have ever mentioned the MDSL in any way. I wonder how many speedway followers outside those involved with it and its advocates on his thread are really interested in  the competition? I doubt that its pending inclusion as appears to be the case in future editions of Speedway Star will boost its circulation in any way.

Edited by Guest
spelling error

6 minutes ago, gustix said:

I have been  a member on several active Facebook pages for some years. So far as I can recall none of them have ever mentioned the MDSL in any way. I wonder how many speedway followers outside those involved with it and its advocates on his thread are really interested in  the competition? I doubt that its pending inclusion as appears to be the case in future editions of Speedway Star will boost its circuration in any way.

The problem that the MSDL faces on a daily basis is the snobby attitude that commentators like you hold against it. Just because the league is of a lower standard does it mean it has to be treated as an inferior or less valid product? Only recently there was unfair criticism levied against the NL and the support for it was over whelming. 

Many many riders compete in the development leagues and have progressed through to full time team places to great acclaim, however the league faces opposition at every turn (clubs, promotions, BSPA) the very same people who moan that the future of the sport is in jeopardy.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, gustix said:

I have been  a member on several active Facebook pages for some years. So far as I can recall none of them have ever mentioned the MDSL in any way. I wonder how many speedway followers outside those involved with it and its advocates on his thread are really interested in  the competition? I doubt that its pending inclusion as appears to be the case in future editions of Speedway Star will boost its circuration in any way.

THE MSDL has it's own Facebook Page, as did the leagues when they were seperate last year, along with the Northen Junior League.

Redcar has it's own page devoted to Junior Meetings, so don't know how you can say that gustix.

I've spent hour upon hour of my own time providing these details for these websites.   

6 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

The problem that the MSDL faces on a daily basis is the snobby attitude that commentators like you hold against it. Just because the league is of a lower standard does it mean it has to be treated as an inferior or less valid product? Only recently there was unfair criticism levied against the NL and the support for it was over whelming. 

Many many riders compete in the development leagues and have progressed through to full time team places to great acclaim, however the league faces opposition at every turn (clubs, promotions, BSPA) the very same people who moan that the future of the sport is in jeopardy.

Spot on with those comments, although I don't think all clubs blank these very important junior meetings out, although the paying public seem to on race-days. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

Spot on with those comments, although I don't think all clubs blank these very important junior meetings out, although the paying public seem to on race-days. 

Probably harsh on clubs as some are very supportive, some have been but no longer choose to be and some just outright refuse to accept that anything other than the league they are within is the best and have a blinkered view of the sport other than the current season. Its not only the notable riders who have progressed through the development leagues but those that enhanced their standard, therefore pushing the standard of others up, everything in the sport has a knock on effect. Sadly the lower leagues are weaker at present (partly due to limited opportunities) and that reflects across the sport in the UK as a whole but sadly so few see it.

We are more than half way through the season. Then somebody points out that the Speedway Star has not been publicising the MDSL competition. To me that demonstrates just how much it has been missed by a majoority of the Speedway Star readership. As I said I am active and a member  on various Facebook speedway pages and over the years cannot recall seeing any reference to the competition. Nor have I ever seen a mention apart from in this thread that there is a Facebook page/pages that give reference to this minority sector of British speedway.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, gustix said:

We are more than half way through the season. Then somebody points out that the Speedway Star has not been publicising the MDSL competition. To me that demonstrates just how much it has been missed by a majoority of the Speedway Star readership. As I said I am active and a member  on various Facebook speedway pages and over the years cannot recall seeing any reference to the competition. Nor have I ever seen a mention apart from in this thread thatbthere is a Facebook page/pages that give reference to this minority sector of British speedway.

The results were featuring within the Speedway Star along with an occasional brief write up. I don't think any rider or promoter from these leagues expected any more than that but to be dropped inexplicably seems a bit off to me. 

Everyone has their different opinions and i fully respect that however just because you have never seen or have any awareness of the leagues existence shows that you are another on the blinkered masses. The minority sector as you call it has given opportunities to a great many riders pre-dating its current structure. The options are to either embrace and encourage the future or hope that the current crop of riders will be able to carry on as the number of clubs reduces until we are left with a few part time weekend leagues.

I have managed to trace a Facebook page that caters for the MDSL and a southern competition. I concede that it is active and well up to date. No doubt about that fact. I compiment those involved for their dedication. For all that I still maintain that so far as promised future MDSL coverage in the 'Speedway Star' is concerned there's unlikely to be a sizeable boost to its circulation because of the competition's inclusion. 

Its not so much the increase in circulation but the maintaining of current subscribers. The issue with the publication is that it has to cater to such a broad audience. I personally want the inclusion of grasstrack & development league information to continue and could live without ice racing, czech speedway news or readers letters for example however im certain that there must be others that do have interest in these sections. Often the biggest selling point of the star (namely how diverse it is) can also be its greatest undoing.