British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sings4Speedway

MSDL Results no longer included in Speedway Star?

As previously mentioned I found the Facebook link for the MDSL. Consequently I have shared its existence to five FB groups where I am a member. Hopefully this will increase further awareness of the MDSL existence.

3 minutes ago, gustix said:

As previously mentioned I found the Facebook link for the MDSL. Consequently I have shared its existence to five FB groups where I am a member. Hopefully this will increase further awareness of the MDSL existence.

For that may i offer my personal thanks. Whilst easily overlooked a succession of small meaningful actions can often have a greater long term positive impact on the sport. 

7 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Probably harsh on clubs as some are very supportive, some have been but no longer choose to be and some just outright refuse to accept that anything other than the league they are within is the best and have a blinkered view of the sport other than the current season. Its not only the notable riders who have progressed through the development leagues but those that enhanced their standard, therefore pushing the standard of others up, everything in the sport has a knock on effect. Sadly the lower leagues are weaker at present (partly due to limited opportunities) and that reflects across the sport in the UK as a whole but sadly so few see it.

Think you might have misunderstood what I meant.  All I was saying was the clubs that do run MSDL meetings can't seem to get the pulic to stay and watch once the main event has finished.
I went to one particular meeting at Mildenhall this season, where the junior second half was way better than the team match that had taken place first.  If folk have paid their money to get in, you might as well stay and get your monies worth, and that apart, the riders deserve the same sort of respect as those in the league above, they're putting their well being on the line just as much as anybody else.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gustix said:

We are more than half way through the season. Then somebody points out that the Speedway Star has not been publicising the MDSL competition. To me that demonstrates just how much it has been missed by a majoority of the Speedway Star readership. As I said I am active and a member  on various Facebook speedway pages and over the years cannot recall seeing any reference to the competition. Nor have I ever seen a mention apart from in this thread thatbthere is a Facebook page/pages that give reference to this minority sector of British speedway.

Can you not read properly gustix?  Once  again I've been uploading information onto all the junior league facebook pages for I think it's the past 3-years, with this being the fourth.
They've always been shown on the British Speedway Website at regular intervals, although none have so far this season, and Laurence Rogers has put them onto this very forum on my behalf over the years, as I had trouble doing so.  So I'm finding it difficult to work out whether you are just not looking very hard, or you are just trying to be awkward for only reasons you'd know.
I spend hours producing these facts 'n figures, receiving huge amounts of public compliments from riders, promoters, families etc., and I even appreciate that the one rider who doesn't like the fact that I calculate averages minus points.
The fact I'm spending hours at hospital comforting and supporting my wife who is undergoing an 18-week course of chemotherapy for breast, hip and double lung cancers, makes your comments very hurtful.        

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mimmo said:

Can you not read properly gustix?  Once  again I've been uploading information onto all the junior league facebook pages for I think it's the past 3-years, with this being the fourth.
They've always been shown on the British Speedway Website at regular intervals, although none have so far this season, and Laurence Rogers has put them onto this very forum on my behalf over the years, as I had trouble doing so.  So I'm finding it difficult to work out whether you are just not looking very hard, or you are just trying to be awkward for only reasons you'd know.
I spend hours producing these facts 'n figures, receiving huge amounts of public compliments from riders, promoters, families etc., and I even appreciate that the one rider who doesn't like the fact that I calculate averages minus points.
The fact I'm spending hours at hospital comforting and supporting my wife who is undergoing an 18-week course of chemotherapy for breast, hip and double lung cancers, makes your comments very hurtful.        

Just read an earlier posting where you say you've found the Facebook page, so am pleased about that.  Do you think you couldn't find it originally as you kept referring to it as the MDSL when in actual fact it's the MSDL?

Anyway, problem hopefully over now.    

4 hours ago, Mimmo said:

The bloke is a pillock and a troll.  As usual, his angle is to hijack a thread and swerve it onto his beloved facebook groups he is in with his mate Karl Fiala - he's rude and if the shoe was on the other foot he'd be having a right old hissy fit.  

Keep up the good work Mimmo and best wishes to the Mrs. 

Edited by The Doctor...
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, brandonmole said:

Gustix being awkward? Some mistake surely ....

I agree - 'Some mistake surely...' unless you want to be known as a 'Richard Skull.' All I did was to initially comment  that I doubted if publishing MSDL details in 'Speedway Star' would dramatically increase its circulation. Since then I have traced the Facebook MSDL page and used the SHARE option to place a Link for it on five Facebook pages for which, if you read previous messages in this thread properly, you will see that I have been thanked for my efforts. So, if that still tallies with your comment welcome to the debate 'Richard Skull'!!!'

Edited by Guest
spelling error.

19 minutes ago, gustix said:

I agree - 'Some mistake surely...' unless you want to be known as a 'Richard Crown.' All I did was to initially comment  that I doubted if publishing MSDL details in 'Speedway Star' would dramatically increase its circulation.

If Speedway Star wanted to dramatically increase its circulation, may I suggest ditching the speedway content and focusing its entire edition to news of the Royals, the Reality TV world and all those throw-away stories of X-Factor contestants.

Otherwise, while its carrying the Speedway Star title, perhaps that's the reason its customers are buying it.  

1 hour ago, gustix said:

I agree - 'Some mistake surely...' unless you want to be known as a 'Richard Crown.' All I did was to initially comment  that I doubted if publishing MSDL details in 'Speedway Star' would dramatically increase its circulation. 

34 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

If Speedway Star wanted to dramatically increase its circulation, may I suggest ditching the speedway content and focusing its entire edition to news of the Royals, the Reality TV world and all those throw-away stories of X-Factor contestants.

Otherwise, while its carrying the Speedway Star title, perhaps that's the reason its customers are buying it.  

I did not suggest 'Speedway Star' should not give coverage to the MSDL. All I did was opinionate that I doubted their inclusion would dramatically boost circulation.

Edited by Guest

48 minutes ago, gustix said:

I did not suggest 'Speedway Star' should not give coverage to the MSDL. All I did was opinionate that I doubted their inclusion would dramatically boost circulation.

If a speedway result has happened, it should be Speedway Star's job to include it. The sport has been robbed of 90-plus years of archive material because magazines - not just the Star - failed to include details of meetings. That is why the sport's history is so patched-up. Anyone who has tried to piece it together will know this.

For example, I have two random examples: I'd have included all the results of the mid-70s training school matches which the Star only gave details of occasional ones. Another I can recall are details of the 1984 Belle Vue Junior Championship were not listed in the magazine. I attended the latter meeting but didn't fill in my programme. Depending on the Speedway Star to fix that the following week was my mistake. 

We didn't have the internet then, and so these results could fall from existence, unless people kept the programme.

If a speedway match is being raced in Britain - yes, even two sides in a training school afternoon, the Southern Track meetings - I would try to find somewhere in the corner of the magazine to include it.

Only when you have researched for speedway history do you realise the chance to recall some matches have been lost for good, because magazines of the day failed their job.  

I know we have the internet now, and results are online. But the results that nobody can find, which magazines of the day failed to include, will always be lost.   

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

If a speedway result has happened, it should be Speedway Star's job to include it. The sport has been robbed of 90-plus years of archive material because magazines - not just the Star - failed to include details of meetings. That is why the sport's history is so patched-up. Anyone who has tried to piece it together will know this.

For example, I have two random examples: I'd have included all the results of the mid-70s training school matches which the Star only gave details of occasional ones. Another I can recall are details of the 1984 Belle Vue Junior Championship were not listed in the magazine. I attended the latter meeting but didn't fill in my programme. Depending on the Speedway Star to fix that the following week was my mistake. 

We didn't have the internet then, and so these results could fall from existence, unless people kept the programme.

If a speedway match is being raced in Britain - yes, even two sides in a training school afternoon, the Southern Track meetings - I would try to find somewhere in the corner of the magazine to include it.

Only when you have researched for speedway history do you realise the chance to recall some matches have been lost for good, because magazines of the day failed their job.  

I know we have the internet now, and results are online. But the results that nobody can find, which magazines of the day failed to include, will always be lost.   

Does the average speedway goer really care that many results have never been recorded? I doubt it  very much. The only speedway followers who care about a - for example - 1935 Sunday junior match at Barnet are statisticians, who are very few.

I first saw a speedway meeting in April 1946 and in subsequent years attended many tracks and saw many meetings. But TBH offhand I cannot  recall one that I desperately need to know the result of. If there was one I would try initially SPEEDWAY RESEARCHER. If that failed I would make a query on a forum. Then again if there was no answer I would just drop the query.

38 minutes ago, gustix said:

Does the average speedway goer really care that many results have never been recorded? I doubt it  very much. The only speedway followers who care about a - for example - 1935 Sunday junior match at Barnet are statisticians, who are very few.

I first saw a speedway meeting in April 1946 and in subsequent years attended many tracks and saw many meetings. But TBH offhand I cannot  recall one that I desperately need to know the result of. If there was one I would try initially SPEEDWAY RESEARCHER. If that failed I would make a query on a forum. Then again if there was no answer I would just drop the query.

I suppose you are right about fans not really caring for history and results which have happened years back.

But for any serious sport there should be a record of each season. As the mammoth amount of its missing results signify, I'd say speedway has never been a serious sport.

I guess it has always been a live-for-today type of game.

We may as well forget how many titles Ivan Mauger won, or Hans, Tony and Erik. Or scrub off what the crack Belle Vue teams achieved in the past, Poole, Wembley and Wimbledon too. I'd best mention Oxford, Cradley, Ipswich and Coventry.

The first page you go to when you pick up a programme before the meeting is usually the one with line up. The first thing you go to when you pick up a programme from 30 or 40 years ago is the riders' scores. Nothing else from the match exists. Just the scores. And they are important if you want to cement the sport's foundations and not merely as a one-night fix until the time fans leave the stadium on the night.

Short-termism has always been speedway's downfall.

By the way, I collect stats and am a nerd. So I'd back my opinion! 

Edited by moxey63

1 hour ago, moxey63 said:

Short-termism has always been speedway's downfall.

There has never been a truer sentence written on this forum.

• Like 3

Also have to hunt to find the truth

For instance someone on this thread posted that they had no interest in the MSDL, even though they have posted a number of times on this thread. That post subsequently disappeared !!!

Quite like the thread they started a number of weeks back asking if the MSDL was a development league, I think it was. Maybe it wasn't. But it also makes me wonder how on anther thread the poster say's it is the first time he has come here since February, obviously forgetting the thread that disappeared and his almost daily visits:D

It's a strange world innit

• Like 1