British Speedway Forum
waco

Nice 2valve challenge IOW 11th july

Very interesting meeting with some good riders could be a leveller with the engine draw.Big question could an IOW rider win this against some decent championship riders,,,,wish I could be there but it is just to far away for me.Good safe meeting to all the riders....

Steve Worrall wins from Paul Starke and Jason Edwards.

NDL rider who shines is not from IOW but Mildenhall. 

Any comments on the quality of the racing?  Did it detract, add or neutral the fact everyone was on 2 valvers? 

Would love to see that trial at BV, but from what people say IOW is a decent track, just a faff to get to it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cityrebel said:

No Danny Ayres or Ben Barker on the island tonight, which is a shame.

Naughty move from their promoter

• Like 1

Started a little slowly with 3 reruns in 4 races. 

Track was great, little to no dust,despite it being a very hot day. Even better when you consider that their main water bowser was broken. Watering with hose pipes and improvised water wagons. They did a great job.

Was there for the engine draw etc. Fascinating to see how riders work and improvise. Engines sounded much like a 250cc, no over revving etc.Times were slightly slower, but that doesnt matter if the racing is good. Well it is for me.

It did liven up, with Starke being the best on view,every race coming from the back except the FInal! For the semi finals, Starke and Worrall tossed a coin for gate positions. Worrall winning the right of 1st choice in the Final,if he got there. He chose gate 3 and that was it really. Although keeping him honest, Starke tried every line possible, simply losing ground if he tried the inside. 

The Young Aussie looks very lively. Over trying cost him a place in the semi final. If he has UK patriality, Id snap him up straight away! Very fast,

As for the Barker and Ayres withdrawals, best speak to Rob Godfrey. He refused starting permission the night before, due to Scunthorpe having a meeting on Friday! Thats even though Barker signed up for the meeting while unattached and looking for rides. Yet both Worrall (at Edinburgh) and Starke (at Glasgow) have a fair distance to travel for meeting later today.

Good meeting all round and very well done to the Promotion for getting it all together.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This initiative with the two-valve engines, provided and owned by the club, is great and can really save the sport, as it will save so much expenses. At least at youth or amateur level, it would be so much cheaper for the riders to compete in speedway. For the fans, the racing would certainly not be less exciting to watch. The engine tuners won't like it, though !  

• Like 6

Great to hear such positive feedback from the meeting although no surprise from the  IOW. The time of year never helps the track and one line racing isn't always the best but a new initiative brings rewards? Anyone hear the rider feedback on how the engines performed / handled?

3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

That is a scandalous decision from Godfrey, kick the IOW promotion in the nuts like he did Lakeside and Workington last year. No wonder British speedway is on its knees. Self interest governs the sport in this country.

I hereby call on Rob Godfrey to resign from the management committee, if guys like this are running our once great sport what hope of we of ever turning things around?

• Like 5

I am supprised (ok maybe not) and disapointed that Speedway GB have not got a good write up on there site today along with a few pictures and maybe a short video excerpt of the meeting, after all this could be the way forward and save the day for this great sport we call SPEEDWAY.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, tonyd said:

I am supprised (ok maybe not) and disapointed that Speedway GB have not got a good write up on there site today along with a few pictures and maybe a short video excerpt of the meeting, after all this could be the way forward and save the day for this great sport we call SPEEDWAY.

Equally disappointed but far from surprised. Sadly no amount of spin can make this look like an SCB/BSPA idea so won't get the coverage it deserves. Add in the wasted money (wasted)spent by the BSPA in the (un)successful GTR project and this shows further the vast gulfs between IOW's promotional vision and what we are currently saddled with. 

• Like 7

18 hours ago, cityrebel said:

That is a scandalous decision from Godfrey, kick the IOW promotion in the nuts like he did Lakeside and Workington last year. No wonder British speedway is on its knees. Self interest governs the sport in this country.

Nob godfrey is an absolute t-  i-t out for himself and nothing else 

Edited by homer
realised put an N to start but this is more suitable
  • Like 5

I think this is a great initiative.

Credit to IOW for putting it on.

Godfrey is a disgrace and should resign or be forced to resign and he can take the Bates pillocks with him

However, caution must be the by-word to anyone thinking "this is the saviour of speedway" IF the expectation is Clubs buy engines.

I have no idea how much each one of these engines cost, they look similar to ice-racing Jawa engine so probably "north of £3000" each.

With approx 28 Clubs in UK x 7 + spares that's around (10 engines per club) £840,000 in outlay or more simply £30,000 per Club.

Can't imagine any / more than a handful of clubs affording this right now.

Can't imagine Jawa (never a company driven by market forces) have scope to remotely deliver on that scale.

This has LEGS but a long way from being the solution. 

• Like 1