British Speedway Forum
bigcatdiary

Peterborough v Belle Vue - Prem Mon 15th July

Just started watching this and must admit it seems a different meeting to all the negativity posted however I've had to record the rerun tomorrow because the taping cut out at heat 12, I imagine watching it live must have been a nightmare . I've definitely seen worse meetings tho and the track doesn't seem that bad tbh especially compared to some of the Poole shambles. Unless there's worse to come in heats 12-15 there's only really the Josh Bates crash in heat 2 and let's be honest Josh could come off on a billiard shaped speedway track and the Charles Wright incident which again could happen anywhere. I suppose watching 30 minutes on play back rather than live makes a massive difference but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as some are making out

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Have to admit, that was the first time I seen speedway from Peterborough, heard so much about the great race track......... so disappointed. That was rubbish. From the time Kelvin did the track test with his screwdriver I though “that looks like same material as KLynn”. 

Complete rubbish meeting. Poor advert for speedway, very poor. How much is British speedway payin BT to show it? After Silverstone, fantastic tennis on Sunday, and England winning World Cup cricket...... then Ultra drab speedway.

The ref must have been a Panthers fan, some weird decisions, especially the Scott Nichols tape movement when already on a warning, disadvantaged himself so much at the start, allowed back in to win.... Crazy.

sorry for the riders who were injured, hope they all recover well.  NOT their fault, especially Bewley. 100% track fault, and that goes straight to the door of Chapman. What he is doing to British Speedway is disgraceful.  Not liked the man since he butted his nose into the BV stadium affair/Gordon-Morton.

Just one negative re BV, or more precisely Bjerre, yes he got a fantastic maximum last night, probably aimed firmly at Chapman. But, can’t he see the benefit of team riding, just looking after a team mate a bit, just like Fricke did with Lidsey.

i really can’t see BT renewing a TV contract with British speedway. Which mean I will be paying just to watch the GP’s - which, generally speaking, are good value.

Sad night for British speedway.

Not the best of races I've seen from there but here's an example of how it was at the EOS just 13yrs ago, I'm fairly sure this was the meeting where Richard Hall was worth the entrance money on his own, leg trailing round the boards giving it big handfuls of throttle, it really was one of the best tracks we've had in this country. 

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RveajgjeTAE  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bruno said:

Just started watching this and must admit it seems a different meeting to all the negativity posted however I've had to record the rerun tomorrow because the taping cut out at heat 12, I imagine watching it live must have been a nightmare . I've definitely seen worse meetings tho and the track doesn't seem that bad tbh especially compared to some of the Poole shambles. Unless there's worse to come in heats 12-15 there's only really the Josh Bates crash in heat 2 and let's be honest Josh could come off on a billiard shaped speedway track and the Charles Wright incident which again could happen anywhere. I suppose watching 30 minutes on play back rather than live makes a massive difference but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as some are making out

Trust me it was painful to watch live last night, must have been even worse for the few in attendance.  You're right there were a couple of reasonable races and we have suffered worse nights from elsewhere in recent times, for my part my expectations were high due to the recent track records, I mistakenly thought this would mean good, fast racing,  maybe if read some of the Panthers fans posts over recent times I would have lowered my expectations and not been so disappointed with what was served up.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, nw42 said:

Not the best of races I've seen from there but here's an example of how it was at the EOS just 13yrs ago, I'm fairly sure this was the meeting where Richard Hall was worth the entrance money on his own, leg trailing round the boards giving it big handfuls of throttle, it really was one of the best tracks we've had in this country. 

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RveajgjeTAE  

Comparing that night to last night’s meeting really does show how standards have slipped in all areas of the sport......

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bruno said:

I've just done the same, watched until the recording cut out and set to record tomorrow morning, hopefully edited to get the whole meeting. Added to that I was also there and I've certainly seen worse. Even the delays were not too bad. It was a nice evening and time didn't seem to drag as it often does during long delays. Regarding the BT programme, I was actually enjoying that as well. I've certainly seen worse on the box: 4 heats I suffered from King Lynn last week or whenever it was for starters, as for Poole, say no more squire . I'm also not known for my positivity so for me to agree with much of such a post is rather unusual.

Edited by Crump99

8 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

Comparing that night to last night’s meeting really does show how standards have slipped in all areas of the sport......

They've dummed it down year on year from around that time and removed the quality so it's hardly a surprise.

In 2001 it was a case of Many Elite League promoters had to be convinced it was worth contributing £10,000 apiece to help cover production costs of live television coverage two seasons ago. Last year the deal continued with no money involved exchanged, but this season brings the pay-off. Sky have agreed a £3 million television deal for five years and are chipping in an additional £150,000 for a season's sponsorship of the league.

How the hell have we arrived at the shambles we are in from that position of strength.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1

Dire Times are clearly the result of Dire Leadership. Go Now! ( as the song goes ) Chapman & Godfrey. Nothing but an imaginative restructuring can save UK speedway from it's looming demise and C&G are incapable of that. " My way is the best and only way". Hmmm.

Re my post early Tuesday 16 July where I was critical of the Peterborough track, that post was written out of frustration. Yes, the track was rubbish on Monday night against BV, but my words were meant to be against most of the TV matches I seen this year. They generally speaking are not presented as good tracks fit for close racing, IMO.  Having said that, from P'borough track going from good racing to what was served on Monday is terrible, and I not having a go at riders there, they can only ride whats presented before them.  So sorry if I offended any Panther supporters. 

21 hours ago, Booey boy said:

Got to agree you want racing you put some grip down you want gate and go you make it slick .some of the younger riders  can only turn the throttle one way these tracks were the norm in 60s/70s and the old Jap was harder to ride than the laydown

You have so got that the wrong way round I'm afraid Grip equals gate and go, slick equals good racing. I agree with the modern day lack of throttle control

Edited by wtf

1 hour ago, wtf said:

You have so got that the wrong way round I'm afraid Grip equals gate and go, slick equals good racing. I agree with the modern day lack of throttle control

I'd say it has to be somewhere between the two for good racing.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

I'd say it has to be somewhere between the two for good racing.

Agree - efrectively like preparing 2 tracks in 1 with a slicker inside and a proper outside dirt line

Gives both the white line shorter distance  kerb crawler and the balls out fence scraping thrill merchant a chance

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Agree - efrectively like preparing 2 tracks in 1 with a slicker inside and a proper outside dirt line

Gives both the white line shorter distance  kerb crawler and the balls out fence scraping thrill merchant a chance

sounds good in theory but doesn't work in practise.

slick inner still produces its own dirt, when that dirt develops the outer already deep gets so deep it's too deep and kills engine.

several bigger tracks have tried it.

even the  vaunted Belle Vue can end up with a gate to the dirt line and one line.

12 minutes ago, HGould said:

sounds good in theory but doesn't work in practise.

slick inner still produces its own dirt, when that dirt develops the outer already deep gets so deep it's too deep and kills engine.

several bigger tracks have tried it.

even the  vaunted Belle Vue can end up with a gate to the dirt line and one line.

Then its down to how good your trackman is.....

Certainly there is no exact science and even the very best cant get it right every time.

If however you deliberately dont even try then thats when you guarantee it to be rubbish :)

2 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Then its down to how good your trackman is.....

Certainly there is no exact science and even the very best cant get it right every time.

If however you deliberately dont even try then thats when you guarantee it to be rubbish :)

we are lucky to have "Terry the Track" at Brum now and he is producing excellent strips same at Redcar.

A lot of the best old track men have gone and departed sadly or too old and retired.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Yes but you don't need to prepare it to that extent. Just let it develop during the meeting. One of the better meetings this season was when we didn't get the bull about track records, just prepared a sensible track and all but left it for the whole meeting. The racing was terrific. Although the track this season has been a bit of a dogs in racing terms, to be fair to Chapman, inconsistency of track preparation has been an issue for many seasons at the EoES, mainly due to long breaks between meetings meaning it's always like starting again. When there's a group of meetings then they seem to get some consistency but we quickly return to square one when you can't see the next meeting over the horizon.

• Like 2