British Speedway Forum
BWitcher

Football 2019/20

Time for the new season topic I think.

Wolves and Newcastle meet this Wednesday in China in the Premier League Asia Tropy, kick off 11am live on Sky Sports.

No Raul Jimenez or Romain Saiss for Wolves who have been given extra time off due to competing for Mexico and Morocco in the Gold Cup and African Nations respectively.

Wolves short of numbers too in terms of first team players following the exits of Helder Costa and Ivan Cavaleiro. Some fans (the usual moaners) getting their knickers in a twist at the lack of signings but there is plenty of time left in the transfer window and they will come.. it simply takes time especially with so many international tournaments having taken place this summer.

Who is in charge of Newcastle on this tour?

This season feels like a big opportunity for the likes of Wolves, Leicester and Everton to push into top 4 contention with a few good signings. As you say it's early days in the window still but neither Arsenal or Man Utd have strengthened yet whilst Chelsea look short of goals.

I get the feeling that your non-PC title for this thread ought to amended, to read "Men's Football 2019/20"

The cricket World Cup which finished yesterday suddenly became the Men's World Cup

I wonder if anyone dare try it with the Open Golf Championship?  :o

4 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Think its the bus driver.

Steve Bruce has apparently resigned from Sheffield Wednesday hoping to force his move to Newcastle, what a mess if the Wednesday owner refuses to accept it. 

1 hour ago, Midland Red said:

I get the feeling that your non-PC title for this thread ought to amended, to read "Men's Football 2019/20"

The cricket World Cup which finished yesterday suddenly became the Men's World Cup

I wonder if anyone dare try it with the Open Golf Championship?  :o

It's completely open. The millions of followers of womens league football are free to comment too.

For instance, why doesn't Megan Rapinoe, whose league side averages 3800 get paid the same as the male side in the same town (Seattle) who average just over 40,000 at twice the price?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

It's completely open. The millions of followers of womens league football are free to comment too.

For instance, why doesn't Megan Rapinoe, whose league side averages 3800 get paid the same as the male side in the same town (Seattle) who average just over 40,000 at twice the price?

Agree with you on this one BW.. :o:t:

6 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Time for the new season topic I think.

Wolves and Newcastle meet this Wednesday in China in the Premier League Asia Tropy, kick off 11am live on Sky Sports.

No Raul Jimenez or Romain Saiss for Wolves who have been given extra time off due to competing for Mexico and Morocco in the Gold Cup and African Nations respectively.

Wolves short of numbers too in terms of first team players following the exits of Helder Costa and Ivan Cavaleiro. Some fans (the usual moaners) getting their knickers in a twist at the lack of signings but there is plenty of time left in the transfer window and they will come.. it simply takes time especially with so many international tournaments having taken place this summer.

Got to say I'm a wee bit worried about the lack of incoming at Molineux. Squad was thin enough last season and was mercifully largely free of injury, but with the loss of Cav and Costa and a possible Europa League campaign to prepare for, I'd like to see some signings sooner rather than later.

Note to "The Cheese" - Man Utd haven't strenghtened yet? they've spent 60+ million!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, salty said:

Got to say I'm a wee bit worried about the lack of incoming at Molineux. Squad was thin enough last season and was mercifully largely free of injury, but with the loss of Cav and Costa and a possible Europa League campaign to prepare for, I'd like to see some signings sooner rather than later.

Note to "The Cheese" - Man Utd haven't strenghtened yet? they've spent 60+ million!

These things take time.

Wolves keep their business very much close to their chests so little escapes the club in terms of rumours as you know. There is likely a chain reaction of transfers waiting to go off.

We've also reached a situation now where some of the players we are targetting are also being chased by clubs much bigger than we usually compete with.

Still plenty of time before the transfer window closes.

If we don't bring anyone in, then yes, that could be a total disaster. I can't see how they would let Cav and Costa go though if they hadn't got players lined up or were very confident of doing so.

• Like 1

Aye I know that we should trust Fosun to do the business, but 50 years following the Wolves has taught me never to be too optimistic!

You see Villa signing players left, right and centre and you start to get a bit twitchy..

2 minutes ago, salty said:

Aye I know that we should trust Fosun to do the business, but 50 years following the Wolves has taught me never to be too optimistic!

You see Villa signing players left, right and centre and you start to get a bit twitchy..

That doesn't worry me at all. Think Fulham :)

Plus the prices they are paying for 'average' players.

Absolutely agree. I think Villa have spunked a shed load of money on players who have a lot to prove at the top level. Might work, but it might go horribly wrong.

Villa have had to spend as they had a thin squad and several loanees. 

Delph is a decent signing for Everton on paper. Three in so far for Norwich and I’d expect 2-3 more. 

EDIT a fourth one in this morning, Sam Byram from West Ham. 

Edited by Bagpuss

15 hours ago, salty said:

Spending that amount doesn't necessarily mean they've strengthened though, James is a promising talent but wouldn't expect him to make a huge impact in his first season. Wan-Bissaka is clearly an improvement on Young but is he that much better than Dalot? Herrera needs replacing and if that ends up being the rumoured target of Longstaff it certainly weakens them further in that area. 

13 hours ago, salty said:

Three of Villa's signings were in the team last season as loan players, they won't need anytime to bed in. Their policy is very much on adding young players that have the potential to improve, it sounds like a good plan to me in the long term. I think Villa will do okay ...

6 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Spending that amount doesn't necessarily mean they've strengthened though, James is a promising talent but wouldn't expect him to make a huge impact in his first season. Wan-Bissaka is clearly an improvement on Young but is he that much better than Dalot? Herrera needs replacing and if that ends up being the rumoured target of Longstaff it certainly weakens them further in that area. 

It's likely that James will make some form of impact, many areas of his game need a lot of improvement, but with the pace that he has people

Wan-Bissaka - defensively i would say yes in the short term as he's spent the majority of his time defending at Palace.

Watching Dalot last season other aspects of his game looked a lot better than his defending - he made several errors that a young defender will make whilst still developing & adjusting to the Premier League, but i think United should have much better balance.

Herrera loved the club and was a good midfielder - but he wasn't a great midfielder. I also can't see us spending £50M on Longstaff tbh.

Think United are stuck with Pogba as well - which will either go one of two ways -  he can continue to be a massive disappointment or he might actually decide to turn up & be effective

19 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Villa have had to spend as they had a thin squad and several loanees. 

Delph is a decent signing for Everton on paper. Three in so far for Norwich and I’d expect 2-3 more. 

EDIT a fourth one in this morning, Sam Byram from West Ham. 

Delph will be solid for Everton 

Who else have Norwich got in?