British Speedway Forum
BWitcher

Football 2019/20

2 hours ago, The Cheese said:

To be fair it's only 4 clubs who've made that decision. Included in that are Norwich and their players/coaches have already given £200k from their salaries to help local people. Other clubs have said they will continue to pay all their staff.

Nobody knows for sure how much players are doing to help already. David De Gea gave £270k to a hospital in Spain anonymously which only got revealed because an official thanked him on Twitter, I doubt he's the only one to have done so.

I'm sure that there are many doing plenty and kudos to them. My point was how they (the clubs) have mis-managed the situation from a PR point of view.

8 minutes ago, salty said:

I'm sure that there are many doing plenty and kudos to them. My point was how they (the clubs) have mis-managed the situation from a PR point of view.

Yes, and unfortunately they've given people the chance to start screaming for pay cuts which unless done right won't achieve much. Using Newcastle as an example, if all their players agreed to take a 25% wage cut does anyone really think Mike Ashley will suddenly decide to pay all the staff and donate some to help out? It just means a few quid extra for himself or a bit more to spend in the next transfer window..

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/harry-maguire-asks-man-utd-21806948

Here we have a better solution with Maguire asking all Man United players to donate 30% of their wages. Also -

...players who, behind the scenes, have been making donations but want their money to go to charity and the NHS rather than back to wealthy Premier League teams.

Many players have already made huge five and six figure donations without wanting publicity and Maguire wants the United players to get involved and to make a strong stand.

It is understood that lots of players have donated to the charity Heroes to support the NHS

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blupanther said:

Got his autograph as a young lad at Portman Road ...

Not knocking Best at all, he was brilliant.. but the fact defenders 'weren't standing off' makes it a lot easier to dribble past them. Getting them to dive in is exactly what you want.. especially when they dive in as aimlessly as many of these.

Again, no disrespect to Best who was fantastic.

4 hours ago, Blupanther said:

Great stuff from a footballing legend!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

Not knocking Best at all, he was brilliant.. but the fact defenders 'weren't standing off' makes it a lot easier to dribble past them. Getting them to dive in is exactly what you want.. especially when they dive in as aimlessly as many of these.

Having watched the video, plenty of those defenders stood off him, only to be bamboozled!  He was probably carrying a flask of vodka.  :)

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

Would have been good to see him play on today's 'billiard table' modern pitches...

• Like 2

Just now, Blupanther said:

Would have been good to see him play on today's 'billiard table' modern pitches...

Despite some of those “robust” challenges how many times did he fall over!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DC2 said:

Despite some of those “robust” challenges how many times did he fall over!

Exactly, the game has certainly changed since then ...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Yes, and unfortunately they've given people the chance to start screaming for pay cuts which unless done right won't achieve much. Using Newcastle as an example, if all their players agreed to take a 25% wage cut does anyone really think Mike Ashley will suddenly decide to pay all the staff and donate some to help out? It just means a few quid extra for himself or a bit more to spend in the next transfer window..

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/harry-maguire-asks-man-utd-21806948

Here we have a better solution with Maguire asking all Man United players to donate 30% of their wages. Also -

Maybe this should be in the Jokes section Cheesee. A couple of years ago, whilst other relegation clubs were each spending a net £100m, we bought and sold with a profit of £9m. Still relegation fodder, but Mike makes a few quid for himself, and then some wonder why TOON fans are always protesting. :approve:

Edited by Tsunami

13 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Brings us back to the old debate of if he'd even make it in the modern game.

Just having a great talent doesn't get you through the ranks these days...  whether that's a good or a bad thing is another argument.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, screm said:

And there we go, I'm sure this hasn't just happened since yesterday. To get an agreement between clubs obviously takes a bit of discussion and time to get things sorted properly. Credit to Jordan Henderson for taking the lead.

One less group for Matt Hancock to use as cover for his own failings

24 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Maybe this should be in the Jokes section Cheesee. A couple of years ago, whilst other relegation clubs were each spending a net £100m, we bought and sold with a profit of £9m. Still relegation fodder, but Mike make a few quid for himself, and then some wonder why TOON fans are always protesting. :approve:

I did say a bit, he might just manage to offer an extra £50 for the next Joelinton :)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Blupanther said:

Brilliant player, had the pleasure of seeing him play for Fulham at Posh when he was way past his best. Still scored a cracking 20 yard volley. Didn't wear shin pads, how he didn't get injured was a testimony of his incredible skills.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, proud panther said:

Brilliant player, had the pleasure of seeing him play for Fulham at Posh when he was way past his best. Still scored a cracking 20 yard volley. Didn't wear shin pads, how he didn't get injured was a testimony of his incredible skills.

George is one player I would have dearly wanted to have seen playing...a complete master of the ball adjusting his pace at any given moment totally outwitting his opponent(s) creating some wonderful moves and, indeed, memories. Pure genius. I have audio conservations and he came across as a very humble individual until drink began the downward spiral and his eventual early death.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, steve roberts said:

George is one player I would have dearly wanted to have seen playing...a complete master of the ball adjusting his pace at any given moment totally outwitting his opponent(s) creating some wonderful moves and, indeed, memories. Pure genius. I have audio conservations and he came across as a very humble individual until drink began the downward spiral and his eventual early death.

Fulham had Rodney Marsh, George Best, Bobby Moore & I think Alan Mullery playing that night. Would love to see the full Fulham line up, if anyone can find it.

• Like 1