British Speedway Forum
BWitcher

Football 2019/20

29 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Think he scored, blame Bonetti:D

If he was the 2nd best keeper we had in 1970, then god knows how bad the 3rd and 4th choice were.

20 minutes ago, orion said:

Why are footballers being made scapegoats ? It shocked me a but  I thought Wayne Rooney spoke quite well  on the Subject .Townsend said much the same thing . 

Really? 

A 30% pay cut will “ruin” some Premier League footballers? 

Cobblers.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, semion said:

If he was the 2nd best keeper we had in 1970, then god knows how bad the 3rd and 4th choice were.

I think that Alex Stepney was on the list?

Was probably a stronger squad than 66. England now don't have keepers as good as those three. Only remember the defeats against Brazil and West Germany. The Germans gaining revenge for 4 years earlier. Then cracking semi with the Italians beating the Germans 4-3.

Edited by auntie doris

13 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Was probably a stronger squad than 66. England now don't have keepers as good as those three. Only remember the defeats against Brazil and West Germany. The Germans gaining revenge for 4 years earlier.

Yes I've often read it said. The game against Brazil (probably Bobby Moore's finest game?) is often looked upon as one of England's best performances (despite losing!) and having watched the game live (although I barely remember it) I have it on DVD and it was a sublime game of football from both sides...and who could forget Gordon Banks' save from Pele!

Edited by steve roberts

3 hours ago, orion said:

Why are footballers being made scapegoats ? It shocked me a but  I thought Wayne Rooney spoke quite well  on the Subject .Townsend said much the same thing . 

Personally I think Rooney made a complete balls up of it. By opening his mouth he's done more damage than anyone could have done. 

Hopefully it'll bring some reality back into the game, or else there will be a stream of clubs going bust for a start. And for Liverpool to take the opportunity of the government furlough arrangements for their ground staff and non-playing staff yet do nothing about the players pay, is an insult to the average working man who supports them.

I know the players have contracts but not many other companies are sticking to contractual terms at the moment.

BTW I love football but the way that their rewards have spiralled out of all proportion I do not have an ounce of sympathy for them. It's time for the players to take the lead not their "old boys club" of a union

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Yes I've often read it said. The game against Brazil (probably Bobby Moore's finest game?) is often looked upon as one of England's best performances (despite losing!) and having watched the game live (although I barely remember it) I have it on DVD and it was a sublime game of football from both sides...and who could forget Gordon Banks' save from Pele!

The 1970 England side is probably the best that i have seen in my lifetime.As for goalkeepers at onetime we were blessed with Banks,Springett,Clemence, Shilton, Parkes (so underrated) Corrigan.

10 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

The 1970 England side is probably the best that i have seen in my lifetime.As for goalkeepers at onetime we were blessed with Banks,Springett,Clemence, Shilton, Parkes (so underrated) Corrigan.

I remember that Clemence and Shilton often shared duties taking alternate games or am I imagining that from somewhere?

Edited by steve roberts

12 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I remember that Clemence and Shilton often shared duties taking alternate games or am I imagining that from somewhere?

They did share duties,  yes i was never a fan of Shilton but odviously  he was good but Clemence got a few more caps when Neal,Thompson were in the team. Clemence for me was a sweeper who commanded his area better than Shilton he often raced off of his line acting as an extra defender.Funny thing is both Clemence and Shilton  are both  remembered for bad mistakes Shilton v Poland 1973 Clemence v Scotland 1976

Edited by Sidney the robin

9 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

They did share duties,  yes i was never a fan of Shilton but odviously  he was good but Clemence got a few more caps when Neal,Thompson were in the team. Clemence for me was a sweeper who commanded his area better than Shilton he often raced off of his line acting as an extra defender.Funny thing is both Clemence and Shilton  are both  remembered for bad mistakes Shilton v Poland 1973 Clemence v Scotland 1976

Thanks Sid...that brings it all back.

40 minutes ago, jrs said:

Personally I think Rooney made a complete balls up of it. By opening his mouth he's done more damage than anyone could have done. 

Hopefully it'll bring some reality back into the game, or else there will be a stream of clubs going bust for a start. And for Liverpool to take the opportunity of the government furlough arrangements for their ground staff and non-playing staff yet do nothing about the players pay, is an insult to the average working man who supports them.

I know the players have contracts but not many other companies are sticking to contractual terms at the moment.

BTW I love football but the way that their rewards have spiralled out of all proportion I do not have an ounce of sympathy for them. It's time for the players to take the lead not their "old boys club" of a union

Fowler has more or less said the same things as Rooney . Hancock should have contacted the PFA before he stated to try score stupid points . If you read what they said the players have not even had time to take the lead before Hancock rushed  in with his  brain dead comments ..

The bottom line its up to the clubs to make the choices not the players I doubt if people who are still getting paid 100 % of there wages in any walk of like are coming forward to say they will take a pay cut but for some reason Footballers have to and take the hit and get called names by everyone . Have Joe Root and all  the central contact cricketers took a 30 % cut  ? why are we not talking about them ?

Not sure how you work out the rewards are out of proportion . Tv companies fans are willing to pay to watch these players so what is the problem ? why is it  so different to any walk of life when people are  willing to pay the money for the service on offer 

52 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Although Clemence played nearly twice as much as Shilton during this time, with Corrigan getting some caps.Imagine how many caps Shilts would have got? Best goalkeeping display I've ever seen, Swindon v Leicester around 1970, don't know how Shilton kept a clean sheet.Magnificent!

Edited by auntie doris

23 minutes ago, orion said:

Fowler has more or less said the same things as Rooney . Hancock should have contacted the PFA before he stated to try score stupid points . If you read what they said the players have not even had time to take the lead before Hancock rushed  in with his  brain dead comments ..

The bottom line its up to the clubs to make the choices not the players I doubt if people who are still getting paid 100 % of there wages in any walk of like are coming forward to say they will take a pay cut but for some reason Footballers have to and take the hit and get called names by everyone . Have Joe Root and all  the central contact cricketers took a 30 % cut  ? why are we not talking about them ?

Not sure how you work out the rewards are out of proportion . Tv companies fans are willing to pay to watch these players so what is the problem ? why is it  so different to any walk of life when people are  willing to pay the money for the service on offer 

Does the average top cricketer get £5 million a year?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Although Clemence played nearly twice as much as Shilton during this time, with Corrigan getting some caps.Imagine how many caps Shilts would have got? Best goalkeeping display I've ever seen, Swindon v Leicester around 1970, don't know how Shilton kept a clean sheet.Magnificent!

I actually preferred Shilton to Clemence (sorry Sid) and thought he was the complete package.

14 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Shilton did get 125 caps and Clemence got 61  Doris , Clemence  did have the distinction of being the first goalkeeper since Frank Swift to captain England.

• Like 1