British Speedway Forum
BWitcher

Football 2019/20

Just now, DC2 said:

Illegal v immoral

Nothing immoral at all.

Target the owners.

Liverpool announce U-turn and will not apply to government scheme to pay furloughed staff though its sad they had to be shamed into it but we got there in the end, now we need the other PL clubs who have applied for a hand out to do the same.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 6:42 PM, screm said:

Liverpool announce U-turn and will not apply to government scheme to pay furloughed staff though its sad they had to be shamed into it but we got there in the end, now we need the other PL clubs who have applied for a hand out to do the same.

Like Newcastle , the greedy bastard. :(

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Like Newcastle , the greedy bastard. :(

Nothing Ashley does surprises me , he's just  a  spiv . Probably waiting to pounce on Debenhams now they've went ** up 

• Like 1

Football in Scotland will not resume until June 10th at least

The Scottish FA Board has unanimously agreed to extend the suspension at all levels of the game from professional to recreational from April 30 until at least June 10.
Rod Petrie, Scottish FA President: “The message is very clear: the government restrictions introduced to save lives must be adhered to and there is no prospect of an early resumption of training let alone organised football in Scotland for several weeks.
“The decision to suspend all football until at least June 10 is to help clubs ensure the safety and wellbeing of players, staff and supporters as well as take steps to mitigate their costs.”
No decision has yet been reached by the SPFL regarding the conclusion of the Championship, League One, League Two and the Lowland League.

42 minutes ago, screm said:

If you remember that when they first made the attempt, and the new buyers broke the NDA, I said on here that I felt this deal would go through as there was just something different from the previous attempts to buy the TOON. Interesting again that the Reubans brothers are still part of the sale, and that gives us a link with the North East them being from here and  carrying out all the major quality developments in the City. It's got to be the best news for the City and the TOON fans that we have had for a long time since bringing back Kevin K. 

Maybe I'd feel different if I was a Newcastle supporter but I'd rather keep Ashley in charge than have the Saudi's sportswashing

5 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Maybe I'd feel different if I was a Newcastle supporter but I'd rather keep Ashley in charge than have the Saudi's sportswashing

Anybody but Ashley. He has ruined the club for money, and he admits he's not even a fan of football. He only bought it after being refused to join Tottenham, and only bought the TOON cos his mate was Vice President of Tottenham at the time. It was a whim, and he thought he might enjoy it, but it turned sour very early on and never recovered. 

7 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Anybody but Ashley. He has ruined the club for money, and he admits he's not even a fan of football. He only bought it after being refused to join Tottenham, and only bought the TOON cos his mate was Vice President of Tottenham at the time. It was a whim, and he thought he might enjoy it, but it turned sour very early on and never recovered. 

Hi Dave.

He might have been a disaster, but haven’t Newcastle done quite well under him compared to their performances back to say 1960?

With the exception of the short Kevin Keegan era and maybe the Malcolm MacDonald years, weren’t Newcastle otherwise pretty poor?

4 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Hi Dave.

He might have been a disaster, but haven’t Newcastle done quite well under him compared to their performances back to say 1960?

With the exception of the short Kevin Keegan era and maybe the Malcolm MacDonald years, weren’t Newcastle otherwise pretty poor?

Depends on what you mean by poor. We were one of the best supported clubs in the old First Division. We had three FA Cup wins in the 50's, so we were thought to be a Cup team. Those days were run by families like the Seymours. Westwoods, Armstrongs, etc, but with the 60.000 gates they liked to keep the cost down for their own pockets, and we were getting those gates even when we were fighting relegation many seasons. The effort went into the Cups, as it was known that the other clubs in the First Division would not let then drop out, as in those days the away club got a %age of the home gate. No doubt there was easy points around to make it happen. :P Joe Harvey was a very successful manager and brought a lot of good players both through the juniors and bought players. He was manager when we won our last big competition on 1969 the Fairs Cup.( the last year it was held.) We never really had any ambition as a club, and Freddie Sheppard and Sir John Hall(builder and originator of the MetroCentre who saw the malls idea after a visit to the States)  tried to join the board but the families fought them off. Eventually they formed the Magpie Group, and they slowly bought shares off the little share holders, but eventually some others caved in and secretly sold them. It had to be secretly as there was an internal ruling that anybody who wanted to sell had to offer them to the other shareholders first. After a long drawn out feud and caving in by some the rest of the big shareholders who left the club and sold old,  the new era started. That was the start of the Keegan era and the success that followed, but not the Premier title unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Am I the only one who thinks it's rather tasteless of Norwich to drop it's not playing staff into the government safety net and only days later announce a new player signing for 2021.....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's rather tasteless of Norwich to drop it's not playing staff into the government safety net and only days later announce a new player signing for 2021.....

No