British Speedway Forum
BWitcher

Football 2019/20

2 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's rather tasteless of Norwich to drop it's not playing staff into the government safety net and only days later announce a new player signing for 2021.....

It’s a tricky one, the guy was nearly signed in January but it didn’t quite happen and it seems an agreement was reached soon after for next season. He’s out of contract in June and is therefore a free transfer and it seems Norwich were forced to announce it as things were starting to be leaked the Luxembourg end. I agree it doesn’t come across particularly well but I don’t believe it was meant to come out until July. 

Whether you think Norwich should be furloughing staff is another matter, the forums and social media are very much divided but I don’t think we'll know whether they should have or not until the next few months have passed and the financial ramifications of the lockdown in football terms have become clear. 

• Thanks 1

Has anyone else watched the documentary Sunderland Till I Die?

Thoroughly enjoyed it. 

11 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

It’s a tricky one, the guy was nearly signed in January but it didn’t quite happen and it seems an agreement was reached soon after for next season. He’s out of contract in June and is therefore a free transfer and it seems Norwich were forced to announce it as things were starting to be leaked the Luxembourg end. I agree it doesn’t come across particularly well but I don’t believe it was meant to come out until July. 

Whether you think Norwich should be furloughing staff is another matter, the forums and social media are very much divided but I don’t think we'll know whether they should have or not until the next few months have passed and the financial ramifications of the lockdown in football terms have become clear. 

Thanks for the timeline on the transaction which does put a slightly different perspective on things although as you say there is still the point of whether any premier league football club should see fit to use the scheme

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Thanks for the timeline on the transaction which does put a slightly different perspective on things although as you say there is still the point of whether any premier league football club should see fit to use the scheme

Again it’s a difficult one, there are plenty of Norwich fans unhappy about it but we are very different to other PL clubs in that we are self funded and much less affluent than many EFL clubs. The club is well run but the balance between prudence and ambition is a fine one, this is our first year of PL money and if that doesn’t get paid in full and / or parachute payments aren’t forthcoming upon our pretty certain relegation then there will be a big financial hole that the owners won’t be able to fill. Our supporters are quick to moan when we sell top players or fail to spend money on improving the squad (like this season) but the money just isn't there, I’ve no idea on the monetary value of furloughing for Norwich City but perhaps they are thinking worst case scenarios and taking the help while they can. But I can very much see why people don’t like it. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Has anyone else watched the documentary Sunderland Till I Die?

Thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Is it on Netflix?

On 4/15/2020 at 10:14 PM, Tsunami said:

Anybody but Ashley. He has ruined the club for money, and he admits he's not even a fan of football. He only bought it after being refused to join Tottenham, and only bought the TOON cos his mate was Vice President of Tottenham at the time. It was a whim, and he thought he might enjoy it, but it turned sour very early on and never recovered. 

Sure the guy is an idiot and a bit dodgy but as far as I'm aware he doesn't order the murders of journalists, kill homosexuals, bomb innocent civilians of other countries, torture women for daring to protest for basic rights etc.

42 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Again it’s a difficult one, there are plenty of Norwich fans unhappy about it but we are very different to other PL clubs in that we are self funded and much less affluent than many EFL clubs. The club is well run but the balance between prudence and ambition is a fine one, this is our first year of PL money and if that doesn’t get paid in full and / or parachute payments aren’t forthcoming upon our pretty certain relegation then there will be a big financial hole that the owners won’t be able to fill. Our supporters are quick to moan when we sell top players or fail to spend money on improving the squad (like this season) but the money just isn't there, I’ve no idea on the monetary value of furloughing for Norwich City but perhaps they are thinking worst case scenarios and taking the help while they can. But I can very much see why people don’t like it. 

I can certainly see how the finances of Norwich are very different to others at the top and accept your point about how its books are balanced from vastly smaller sources as well as what may happen with league/parachute payments

The signing may be a 'free transfer' but there can be little doubt it includes a very substantial signing on fee which could quite possibly be at least as much as the whole sum that wouldve paid every worker set aside for the whole 3 months of the scheme. This is where I find it difficult to mitigate/accept

12 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I can certainly see how the finances of Norwich are very different to others at the top and accept your point about how its books are balanced from vastly smaller sources as well as what may happen with league/parachute payments

The signing may be a 'free transfer' but there can be little doubt it includes a very substantial signing on fee which could quite possibly be at least as much as the whole sum that wouldve paid every worker set aside for the whole 3 months of the scheme. This is where I find it difficult to mitigate/accept

Yep that’s a very fair point about the signing on fee. They perhaps should have given him more to keep his gob shut :D 

What would be ideal if the season resumes is that we win six of our remaining games and stay up allowing us to retract the furlough application :approve:

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Is it on Netflix?

Yes it is, well worth a watch.

On 4/17/2020 at 10:39 AM, The Cheese said:

Sure the guy is an idiot and a bit dodgy but as far as I'm aware he doesn't order the murders of journalists, kill homosexuals, bomb innocent civilians of other countries, torture women for daring to protest for basic rights etc.

Have you examined the history of the owners of Man City. The Arabs will be backers to the new club, but the owners are going to be Amanda Staveley and the Reuban brothers. James Reuban, son of David Reuban, is a manager within QPR and he is expected to join the senior management and run the club possibley with a Director of Football, and with Staveley the boss like Karen Brady at West Ham.

Edited by Tsunami

21 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Hardly any of the above can be put at the door of Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman who will be the major share holder, I haven't checked but I take it you posted the same when Sheff Utd was taken over by Prince Abdullah

6 hours ago, screm said:

Hardly any of the above can be put at the door of Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman who will be the major share holder, I haven't checked but I take it you posted the same when Sheff Utd was taken over by Prince Abdullah

This article suggests otherwise..

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/10/mohammed-bin-salman-dark-side-saudi-arabia-crown-prince-181015123719153.html

3 hours ago, screm said:

A right action doesn't excuse wrong ones.

Bruce had better get results, and if he doesn't better not visit Saudi.. might end up being beheaded. Don't worry though, it's just what nice people do :)

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1