British Speedway Forum
BWitcher

Football 2019/20

2 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Agree.. effectively cheated their way to promotion from League 2 last year. Just as Macclesfield did to stay up.

Going to cost League 1 & 2 clubs a fortune if they're made to play behind closed doors, also the added problem of so many contracts ending in June which clearly creates a huge issue if the season continues into July/August.

I think we'll end up with the PL and Championship finishing but League 1 and 2 ending using points per game to sort out promotion/relegation.

CHEATED ?. Oh they wernt getting paid the night they won promotion. Stupid comment that normally comes from a Rochdale fan.

56 minutes ago, screm said:

Did they write to the Premier League and all clubs with the same concerns when the guy took over full control at Sheffield Utd? Laughable everyone getting their knickers in a twist because they’re buying Newcastle and worried the sleeping giant is about to be woken!

The difference being MBS is running the show and therefore is responsible for his country's actions.

12 minutes ago, craigACE said:

CHEATED ?. Oh they wernt getting paid the night they won promotion. Stupid comment that normally comes from a Rochdale fan.

Building a squad you know you can't afford is effectively cheating, fairly obvious to me..

1 minute ago, The Cheese said:

The difference being MBS is running the show and therefore is responsible for his country's actions.

Building a squad you know you can't afford is effectively cheating, fairly obvious to me..

Day was meant to be a businessman. He made a mess of it. Cheat ?. No. He should be blamed for messing the Club up than Dale. And that is saying something. Not being funny but, Who do you support ?. Got to be a team who missed out on promotion. Or the Fail.

42 minutes ago, Wolfsbane said:

According to Teletext (Yep, I still use it!), Spurs are targeting West Ham's Issa Diop and Wolves Raul Jiminez in a £96.9m pound move.

So that's £900k for Diop then:rofl:

Blimey! I didn't think that it was still with us? The days I used to sit in front of the teletext waiting for the speedway results to come thru'...

• Like 3

There is a review about whether to take it off the beeb. I used to rely on it for non-league football scores.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, craigACE said:

Got what they deserved ?. If Day and Dale had been allowed nowhere near things would be ok now. So who gets the blame for that then ?. Your comment is one that i have hardly heard from fans around the Country, Well apart from Rochdale idiots.

Like 95% of clubs in England, Bury were living way beyond their means and had been on borrowed time for a decade or more, they went into administration in 2002 and survived a winding up order in April 2013 (£1m+) when Day took over, there's no doubt he made the clubs position considerably worse but presumably there were no other interested parties and without him the club would likely have folded at the end of the 2013 season, when he handed the reigns over to Dale in 2018 debts were up to around £10m and the writing was on the wall, Dale's takeover was futile, the club were finished.

Day appears to be a totally incompetent businessman way out of his depth whilst Dale was callous and calculating, with no interest in football or the club he saw an opportunity to make money out of a company that was already gone, but rather than point fingers at these 2, if you want someone to blame, why not try the Football League, who's financial fair play rules and 'fit and proper' persons test don't seem up to the job in hand or perhaps anyone involved behind the scenes at the club itself - accountants/auditors/secretaries/treasurers and anyone in any sort of senior management role who either knew how precarious the clubs finances were and turned a blind eye to it all or were incapable of doing the job that their title required.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Blimey! I didn't think that it was still with us? The days I used to sit in front of the teletext waiting for the speedway results to come thru'...

11 hours ago, craigACE said:

There is a review about whether to take it off the beeb. I used to rely on it for non-league football scores.

It was due to be switched off on january 31st but there was an 'outcry' and they backed down and as Craig said it's now under review.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, craigACE said:

Day was meant to be a businessman. He made a mess of it. Cheat ?. No. He should be blamed for messing the Club up than Dale. And that is saying something. Not being funny but, Who do you support ?. Got to be a team who missed out on promotion. Or the Fail.

Exeter, so not really linked to missing out on promotion. It was Mansfield who deserved Bury's place.

There were reports last summer that players who weren't regular starters were earning 5-6k a week, it's complete madness. They knew they were in a mess financially in January 2019, could easily have sold a couple of players to help that situation and lower the wage bill but instead did nothing to make sure they got promoted.

Whoever was to blame it would still be completely wrong to give them a golden ticket back. Just like other clubs who've found themselves in this situation they need to start again. Bury AFC has been formed and accepted into the 10th tier, efforts need to be concentrated on that and hopefully they'll stick to being run by the supporters trust rather than allow another dodgy businessman to take control in the hope of rising quicker through the leagues.

• Like 2

Seems a second bidder has entered the race to takeover at Newcastle, apparently it will be broken to the media later on tonight.

Doesn't look like football will take place anytime soon.

Due to having too much time on my hands..can anyone name the only team in English and Scottish leagues that doesn't contain any letters from the word mackerel?

Also the last 10 clubs that have played in the Premier League with same double letter in their name e.g CardiFF?

20 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Due to having too much time on my hands..can anyone name the only team in English and Scottish leagues that doesn't contain any letters from the word mackerel?

Also the last 10 clubs that have played in the Premier League with same double letter in their name e.g CardiFF?

Swindon Town ...

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2020 at 8:10 PM, screm said:

Seems a second bidder has entered the race to takeover at Newcastle, apparently it will be broken to the media later on tonight.

I would guess that the bid you were referring to was this American guy who has now admitted he has put a bid in for £350m. Due to the agreement including a clause that the existing deal has to be accepted or rejected on other grounds, the Yank can only take charge if the Saudi bid does not fit in with the Premier League's owners criteria. Once the Documents were signed, and the Deposit of £17m paid in, the American has to wait for the original bid to legally fail. Funnily enough but Ashley has been in the States all year and the Yank has  been bidding now for over a year, and would be one of the two bidders in the background first time around. perhaps Ashley is working on him for the extra money. The Saudi bid is still favourite, especially with the fans, especially with the history and performance of the Saudi's manager, and their commitment to put a lot of money in and get us challenging for say top 4 in a reasonable time scale. Fair play rules will limit the extra spend, but with the clearcut, and new players, it will only take say £100m plus each year and we will get there plenty soon. Martin Samuel of the Daily Mail(Ashley stooge) had his usual go at the TOON fans for being too impatient, and expecting loads of money up front and early trips to Europe. He hasn't got a clue as usual, as us fans just want steady progress and making progress year on year. Should hear about the Saudi bid this week I think. The nations history will not stop them buying the club, and their pirating of the TV rights from Qatar, but I think it will result in some sanctions and a backdated fine 

Edited by Tsunami

4 hours ago, auntie doris said:

HuLL

4 hours ago, auntie doris said:

LiverpOOl

ToTTenham

SheFF Utd

ViLLa

CardiFF

HuDDersfield

MiDDlesbrough

HuLL City

BlackpOOl

Dirty LEEds 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Bagpuss said: