British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
daveallan81

1953 Queries

05/04 & 19/04 & 05/05 Rye House - All I have are the three dates - did anything take place?

26/07 California Midsummer Championship - Tie between Trevor Davis & George Bason - CONFIRM DATE AND IF THERE WAS AN OUTRIGHT WINNER

13/09 California v Aldershot (Challenge) - CONFIRM DATE & OBTAIN RESULT

15/09 Rye House Championship PR 2 - Tie between Stan Bedford & Gil Goldfinch - CONFIRM DATE AND IF THERE WAS AN OUTRIGHT WINNER

06/05 Southampton World Championship QR Winner: Maury Mattingley - CONFIRM DATE AND WINNER

31/05 Rye House Coronation Shield PR 1 - CONFIRM DATE AND RESULT

08/06 Southampton Best Pairs - Winners: B. McKeown & E. Brecknell - CONFIRM DATE & WINNERS

26/06 Bristol Best Pairs - Tie between D. Bradley & C. Boss and E. Williams & F. Williams - CONFIRM DATE AND IF THERE WAS AN OUTRIGHT WINNER

24/07 Ashfield v Scottish Select - Rained off - CONFIRM DATE & FIXTURE11/08 Ashfield Press Trophy - Postponed - CONFIRM DATE & FIXTURE & REASON FOR POSTPONEMENT

28/08 at Motherwell - Glasgow v Edinburgh 61-47 - Listed as Scottish Coronation Cup Semi-Final - I've no mention of a final anywhere - CONFIRM COMPETITION AND DATE OF FINAL (IF THERE WAS ONE)

I'd also like confirmation of the make up of the earlier rounds in the National Trophy. To save listing the whole thing here, can someone tell me if what is published here is correct: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Speedway_National_League#National_Trophy

Edited by daveallan81
Updated 17th July

05/04 & 19/04 & 05/05 Rye House - All I have are the three dates - did anything take place?   I am aware of a programme having been issued for a meeting on 5th April, but unfortunately I have no results or other details.  The speedway press steered well clear of reporting on non-league tracks in 1953.

06/05 Southampton World Championship QR Winner: Maury Mattingley - CONFIRM DATE AND WINNER   26th May, not 6th; Maury Mattingley beat Ernie Rawlins in a run-off after both scored 14 points.

08/06 Southampton Best Pairs - Winners: B. McKeown & E. Brecknell - CONFIRM DATE & WINNERS

9th June, not 8th; McKeown & Brecknell won with 18 points, 2 points ahead of Jackson & McGillivray.

26/06 Bristol Best Pairs - Tie between D. Bradley & C. Boss and E. Williams & F. Williams - CONFIRM DATE AND IF THERE WAS AN OUTRIGHT WINNER  26th June; the two pairs tied  and it was reported that there was no run-off to decide the winners, much to the disapproval of the crowd.

24/07 Ashfield v Scottish Select - Rained off - CONFIRM DATE & FIXTURE 14  This would have been 14th July not 24th if the meeting was to have been staged on Ashfield's usual race night, but nothing was mentioned in forthcoming fixtures in the speedway press; however, this could have been due to the track's non-league status.

28/08 at Motherwell - Glasgow v Edinburgh 61-47 - Listed as Scottish Coronation Cup Semi-Final - I've no mention of a final anywhere - CONFIRM COMPETITION AND DATE OF FINAL (IF THERE WAS ONE)  Speedway Star referred to this as ‘their Coronation Cup match’, with no mention of it being a semi-final. The fixture list in the speedway press had described the forthcoming fixture as an open meeting and then as a challenge, with Motherwell riding away.  It appears not to have formed part of a wider competition.

The National Trophy meeting dates and results are correct.

Edited by BL65
  • Like 1

Thank you again.

What was throwing me with the National Trophy was Stoke's absence from Round 4 after beating Coventry in Round 3. Were they due to meet New Cross?

51 minutes ago, daveallan81 said:

Thank you again.

What was throwing me with the National Trophy was Stoke's absence from Round 4 after beating Coventry in Round 3. Were they due to meet New Cross?

I would guess that is correct. The 1954 Stenner's Annual just shows Stoke as having a bye in the fourth round. The Stenner's 1953 Fixture list shows New Cross seeded through to the fourth round along with other first division clubs except Wembley and Birmingham, who were seeded straight through to the quarter finals. But, of course, New Cross had closed by then.

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

Rye House

Some years ago, I was given a fairly complete set of Rye House results from 1934 to 1973. The three dates you mention are on the grid but no results have been written in.

The 31 May Coronation Shield meeting is also left blank.

I have the actual programme for the Rye House Championship PR2 dated 13 September. As you say Bedford and Goldfinch are shown as tying but there is no indication of a race off. My set of results gives Bedford as the winner.

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, norbold said:

I would guess that is correct. The 1954 Stenner's Annual just shows Stoke as having a bye in the fourth round. The Stenner's 1953 Fixture list shows New Cross seeded through to the fourth round along with other first division clubs except Wembley and Birmingham, who were seeded straight through to the quarter finals. But, of course, New Cross had closed by then.

Stoke were indeed drawn against New Cross, with the meetings originally scheduled to have taken place on 27th June and 1st July.  After the demise of New Cross, Stoke met Bristol on 27th June in a challenge match.

• Like 2

On 7/15/2019 at 11:34 PM, daveallan81 said:

31/05 Rye House Coronation Shield PR 1 - CONFIRM DATE AND RESULT

19 hours ago, norbold said:

Rye House

The 31 May Coronation Shield meeting is also left blank.

A report in Speedway World gave the eight qualifiers for the final of this competition, to be held on 21st June. They were Dennis Newton, winner of the meeting with 15, Jim Tebby 14, Stan Bedford 13, Dave Slater 11, Gil Goldfinch 11, Stan Crouch 9, Bernie Aldridge 9, Alan Briggs 8.

• Like 2

Further information on the Ashfield postponement on 14th July.  Speedway World reported that the meeting was scheduled to be ex-Giants v Scottish Select, with the meeting cancelled 'after monsoon-like rain had flooded the district in which the track is situated'.

• Like 1

26/07 California Midsummer Championship - Tie between Trevor Davis & George Bason - CONFIRM DATE AND IF THERE WAS AN OUTRIGHT WINNER

I've got a copy of the programme, neatly filled in, and there is no indication of a run-off. As Davis beat Bason in the heats, I've credited him with the win in my own database. There is also no indication that the meeting took place on any date other than the 26th.

• Like 1

11/08 Ashfield Press Trophy - Postponed - CONFIRM DATE & FIXTURE & REASON FOR POSTPONEMENT

According to the book 'Speedway in Scotland' by Jim Henry and Ian Moultray, nine meetings were staged at Ashfield in 1953, with one rained off on 14th July.  There is a comment that there was a long break between the Best Pairs meeting on 4th August and the final meeting on 29th September, with crowds having dipped to an all-time low.  This suggests that a decision was taken not to stage a meeting on 11th August or beyond (with the exception of the Ken Le Breton Trophy) and the date should not, therefore, be included in the fixture list.

1 hour ago, BL65 said:

According to the book 'Speedway in Scotland' by Jim Henry and Ian Moultray, nine meetings were staged at Ashfield in 1953, with one rained off on 14th July.  There is a comment that there was a long break between the Best Pairs meeting on 4th August and the final meeting on 29th September, with crowds having dipped to an all-time low.  This suggests that a decision was taken not to stage a meeting on 11th August or beyond (with the exception of the Ken Le Breton Trophy) and the date should not, therefore, be included in the fixture list.

Thanks. I'll remove it from the fixture list as you suggest.