British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

15/7/19 Kent v Cradley

41 minutes ago, GWC said:

Supposing that was a play off final!

The lack of speedway in the south east means we don’t have a lot of choice but it is becoming an issue I’m afraid with the curfew.

The track is tricky but only because the riders are not equipped with the full skills and knowledge to avoid problems.

Jake Mulford is a novice but his ability to ride and overtake no less proves that.

Exactly.

2 hours ago, East End Fan said:

I watched last night's meeting with astonishment at the quality of the racing, the young riders showing skill beyond their years.  When the two crashes occurred that demolished the fence, it clearly was not the fault of the track. The vast majority of the riders of both teams were doing 4 laps at full throttle. I have never been a rider, but I doubt if you could do that on any track that was below standard. Sour taste left by the delaying actions of Cradley to stop heat 14 with the curfew. They should be ashamed of themselves, but I doubt if they are. Shame.

By the way, is blueherb777 a track prep' expert ?   Or NOT a client of Specsavers !

Pretty sure if the scores were the other way round Kent would have wanted to stop it short !!!!!

3 minutes ago, bigred said:

Pretty sure if the scores were the other way round Kent would have wanted to stop it short !!!!!

Its yet to happen where Kent have been in that situation but there would be far greater uproar if that were the case (possibly not as much as when Charley Powell did it) however with the curfew in place the odds are that at some point Kent may be faced with the conundrum.....

Someone from the council planners should attend a meeting at kent, and see what the promotion are up against. Trying to rush a meeting through with inexperienced riders is madness. It would be difficult enough with a higher standard of racing. Surely an extra 30 minutes wouldn't have much of an impact upon any local residents.

• Like 2

So pleased to read that Plymouth is not the only track that "supporters" criticise. Makes a real change to see. At least our curfew is reasonable 9-45. :-)

Trying to be sensible about tracks and issues with them it does seem to be a nation wide problem. I watched Peterborough v Belle Vue on BT Sport last night. After 3 heats two riders injured, ambulances on track both times and three riders out of the meeting. Riders were picking up grip on the bends and straights and having to struggle to keep control at times. Scott Nicholls said there was a hole or rut that had appeared on the first / second bend and track work had to be done. So some longish delays. I think there are problems all round with the sport and the rules governing it. However the main issue for me is lack of supporters. Speedway is a great night out for all the family, in todays world though it is all about winning and having a successful side, not the old Olympic idea of just taking part. WE have some brilliant young riders, full of courage who give us tremendous entertainment. The promoters, most of them have to have very thick skins with the flack they take, some of it very personal. If it wasn't for them putting their money on the line we wouldn't have our speedway fix. Personally I really enjoy my Friday night at Plymouth, " issues " and all. Long may it and speedway continue but it does need us to get behind it  :-)

Hi blue herb77,,as you probably know I  did the track at Rye back in the early 80,s with Hughie Saunders ,and have been staff on the Kent track when Ben was there ,l also did the track with Chick Woodruff many years ago at Rayleigh so I think I know what I'm talking about on tracks,,The track at Kent is one of the hardest to ride for young inexperienced riders..So take no notice of those knocking your opinions...For an example did you ever see Nathan Ablitt crashing at Lakeside ?.

Edited by waco
Spelling
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, waco said:

Hi blue herb77,,as you probably know I  did the track at Rye back in the early 80,s with Hughie Saunders ,and have been staff on the Kent track when Ben was there ,l also did the track with Chick Woodruff many years ago at Rayleigh so I think I know what I'm talking about on tracks,,The track at Kent is one of the hardest to ride for young inexperienced riders..So take no notice of those knocking your opinions...For an example did you ever see Nathan Abltt crashing at Lakeside ?.

Ladies and Gentlemen....I rest my case. :cheers:

8 minutes ago, waco said:

Hi blue herb77,,as you probably know I  did the track at Rye back in the early 80,s with Hughie Saunders ,and have been staff on the Kent track when Ben was there ,l also did the track with Chick Woodruff many years ago at Rayleigh so I think I know what I'm talking about on tracks,,The track at Kent is one of the hardest to ride for young inexperienced riders..So take no notice of those knocking your opinions...For an example did you ever see Nathan Ablitt crashing at Lakeside ?.

Rayleigh, now you are showing your age. My first trip to the Weir was a bank holiday monday meeting against the West Ham Bombers. The track was so dusty you could hardly see the riders. We still had the same track problems in the 'good old days', but the bikes were a lot slower then, which contributes a lot to the present problems. Some of the more experienced riders can struggle to control the modern era flying machines.

• Like 1

Last night was my first ever visit to Kent speedway. I've seen better meetings, but also many worse ones. There were indeed some excellent races. In my opinion none of the crashes were caused by track conditions, and I echo the praise for the efforts of the track staff in repairing the fences. Like others, I'm astonished (and happy) that the heat 7 crash didn't result in some major injuries. The curfew time is a real problem and an extra 30 minutes would make a world of difference. As for heat 14, I doubt that Cradley could have been any more blatant in making sure they ran the clock out to guarantee a league point.  

1 hour ago, blueherb777 said:

Ladies and Gentlemen....I rest my case. :cheers:

What case? You never had one!!

Where are your OWN detailed opinions on the merits or otherwise of the Kent track which were requested earlier? 

I suppose that you think that the track at Peterborough is dangerous now considering the accidents that occurred there last night.

25 minutes ago, Vic Meldrew said:

What case? You never had one!!

Where are your OWN detailed opinions on the merits or otherwise of the Kent track which were requested earlier? 

I suppose that you think that the track at Peterborough is dangerous now considering the accidents that occurred there last night.

Bore off.

• Like 1

Many tracks are quite capable of running 15 heats within 2 hrs including a brief interval.

Kent cannot on a consistent basis.

one wonders why. Why are there so many crashes that cause long delays.

Blue groove, a 2nd bend that does not pull riders in but seems to do the opposite appeAr to be factors.

Football is time limited and there are rules to prevent time wasting. However, players know how to run down the clock - speedway is no different.

Worth noting Len ignored curfew when it suited last yeAr

Edited by Richard Weston
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Falcons50 said:

So pleased to read that Plymouth is not the only track that "supporters" criticise. Makes a real change to see. At least our curfew is reasonable 9-45. :-)

Trying to be sensible about tracks and issues with them it does seem to be a nation wide problem. I watched Peterborough v Belle Vue on BT Sport last night. After 3 heats two riders injured, ambulances on track both times and three riders out of the meeting. Riders were picking up grip on the bends and straights and having to struggle to keep control at times. Scott Nicholls said there was a hole or rut that had appeared on the first / second bend and track work had to be done. So some longish delays. I think there are problems all round with the sport and the rules governing it. However the main issue for me is lack of supporters. Speedway is a great night out for all the family, in todays world though it is all about winning and having a successful side, not the old Olympic idea of just taking part. WE have some brilliant young riders, full of courage who give us tremendous entertainment. The promoters, most of them have to have very thick skins with the flack they take, some of it very personal. If it wasn't for them putting their money on the line we wouldn't have our speedway fix. Personally I really enjoy my Friday night at Plymouth, " issues " and all. Long may it and speedway continue but it does need us to get behind it  :-)

oh the irony.

Kent fans will roundly slag off just about any track they go to e.g Plymouth and Stoke in recent weeks, used to be Mildenhall and Eastbourne.

Then you have the "Cradley tribe" just about the most "up themselves" bunch in Speedway with the possible exception of Belle Vue.

Thankfully us Brummies are friendly middle of the road types but to see Kent fans slagging off everyone else's track and then getting some back and then the Cradley mob involved in a cheating storm is just hilarious.  

Anyway as Ledwith could be out for up to 8 weeks and Spooner being so injury prone maybe it’s time to change the team.

It might mean having to drop Jenkins initially but getting Bowen or Alfie Bowtell into the team might be necessary now.