British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

15/7/19 Kent v Cradley

2 minutes ago, TurnTwo said:

Wasn’t there a review in the speedway star at the start of the year saying there would be potential injuries at Kent due to the nature of the riders I can’t  remember if it was a fan like previous years or club one by the press officers of the clubs but I believe I read it somewhere? 

It was Connor Dugard in the Speedway Star.

16 minutes ago, flipper11 said:

I don't remember Ablitt crashing at Lakeside,  but then i don't ever remember him racing there. When did he race at Lakeside? 

He rode in the pre match junior heats almost every week for the last couple of years Lakeside were running. He had some terrific races with Jason Edwards on occasion. Lakeside being my team I was indeed a neutral at Kent last night. 

20 minutes ago, Bryce said:

He rode in the pre match junior heats almost every week for the last couple of years Lakeside were running. He had some terrific races with Jason Edwards on occasion. Lakeside being my team I was indeed a neutral at Kent last night. 

That’s odd I was told this was his 1st year racing a 500cc speedway bike.

It may well be. The junior races were literally that, with riders not old enough to race in the national league. It could well be that they were on 250cc bikes at the time.

I just dug out some old programs and they were on 250cc bikes in the junior races.

• Like 1

A good few crashes are normally by the chasing riders when trying to pass around the outside going off the blue groove around bends 1/2 and bend 3 usually seems to get  a hole or rut appears mid track after a few hts or it’s the rider going over the off camber bend 3 

8 hours ago, waco said:

Hi blue herb77,,as you probably know I  did the track at Rye back in the early 80,s with Hughie Saunders ,and have been staff on the Kent track when Ben was there ,l also did the track with Chick Woodruff many years ago at Rayleigh so I think I know what I'm talking about on tracks,,The track at Kent is one of the hardest to ride for young inexperienced riders..So take no notice of those knocking your opinions...For an example did you ever see Nathan Ablitt crashing at Lakeside ?.

So you are massively experienced at track prep & you no what you are talking about on tracks, yet somehow you manage to compare Ablitt never crashing at Lakeside with him crashing at Kent.  Perhaps as an expert you can explain how riding a 250cc bike in 2nd halves at Lakeside can compare to his 1st season on a 500cc bike in the national league at Kent!?  

8 hours ago, flipper11 said:

So you are massively experienced at track prep & you no what you are talking about on tracks, yet somehow you manage to compare Ablitt never crashing at Lakeside with him crashing at Kent.  Perhaps as an expert you can explain how riding a 250cc bike in 2nd halves at Lakeside can compare to his 1st season on a 500cc bike in the national league at Kent!?  

I think Ablitt’s problem is he never really did much competitive racing on a 500? As opposed to the Thompson twins and Palin who did a lot of before meeting races and the whole winter amateur meetings at Scunthorpe etc. He only raced the 250 then when it came to racing the 500 he actually had very little experience on it hence why he’s so raw and crashes? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, flipper11 said:

Knew I wasn’t going mad in my old age just yet - thank you. 

36 minutes ago, TurnTwo said:

I think Ablitt’s problem is he never really did much competitive racing on a 500? As opposed to the Thompson twins and Palin who did a lot of before meeting races and the whole winter amateur meetings at Scunthorpe etc. He only raced the 250 then when it came to racing the 500 he actually had very little experience on it hence why he’s so raw and crashes? 

Wholeheartedly agree. Whilst the 250cc machines are great tools for learning (and far superior to any rider jumping from 125 cc machines to 500cc) they do still allow riders to take liberties as they don't pull or drive as hard as the senior machines. That said Ablitt has been riding a bike for a very long time so year one or not he is certainly not inexperienced in racing a bike.

Apart from Spooner crashing because he lost a chain, most of the injuries to Kent riders have happened away from home. Bowen's knee injury last year came because

James Shanes hit him in the middle of the straight, nothing to do with the track.  I am also amazed at the number of times when riders go through the fence, they get

up and walk away. In my experience, on almost every track I have known over the years, a collision with the fence resulted in at least a minor injury, and many times much worse.

The Gilkes crash when he was stuck in by his opponent ( who got disqualified) is a case in point. Whole fence demolished but both riders walked away. Astonishing.

14 hours ago, pete cc said:

Straws clutching . If at first you can't find a solution, blame stoke!!

exactly mate. never mind the fact that ledwith managed to crash all on his own on the very first bend and that rowe was taken into the fence by another rider overcooking it but hey ho lets blaim stoke.

1 minute ago, porkypotter said:

exactly mate. never mind the fact that ledwith managed to crash all on his own on the very first bend and that rowe was taken into the fence by another rider overcooking it but hey ho lets blaim stoke.

At least we are all agreed then...definitely Stokes fault :D

16 hours ago, flipper11 said:

what's happened to Connor Dugard?

seems to have vanished off the scene apart from making Kevlars?

was very outspoken on some issues but a bright young mind that sport could ill afford to lose.