British Speedway Forum
justathought

Leicester V Edinburgh 18/7/19 Championship.

LEICESTER face a newly re-strengthened Edinburgh side as they look to keep the ball rolling at the Paul Chapman & Sons Arena on Wednesday (7.30pm).

It’s a rare midweek home fixture for the Watling JCB Lions as the previously scheduled visit of the Monarchs was rained-off earlier in the season.

And with the weather set fair and no home meeting this weekend, club bosses are urging supporters to come out and back their table-topping side – as they look to go eight points clear.

Lions boast a 100 per cent home record in the Championship but their hopes of extending that are complicated by the Monarchs’ team changes and another injury setback concerning Josh Bates.

Lions operate the rider-replacement facility for Bates, whilst Eastbourne’s Richard Lawson stands in as the heat-leader guest for broken ankle victim Richie Worrall.

LEICESTER: Scott Nicholls, Ellis Perks, Josh Bates R/R, Ryan Douglas, Richard Lawson, Joe Lawlor, Connor Mountain.
EDINBURGH: Sam Masters, Ricky Wells, Josh Pickering, William Lawson, Cameron Heeps, Matt Marson, Connor Coles

Dickson must surely have lost his patience with Bates by now. It doesn't matter how brave he is, Josh has become a liability if he is not prepared to change his approach to racing. We already have our No.2 out for the season and trying to cover with guests or R/R and can't then accommodate someone who, when supposedly fit to start a meeting, has a good chance of not finishing it. The sport is dangerous, but the amount of injuries Josh picks up is not down to bad look. We would be better off with a rider on a slightly lower average (although I appreciate may not be easy, based on who would be available) who can stay on his bike.

Bates fights his bike, he doesn't ride it. There will only be one winner, in the end. Difficult decisions coming up for Mr Dickson, don't envy him.

• Like 2

Advanced issues found

14 hours ago, Teromaafan said:

Dickson must surely have lost his patience with Bates by now. It doesn't matter how brave he is, Josh has become a liability if he is not prepared to change his approach to racing. The sport is dangerous, but the amount of injuries Josh picks up is not down to bad look. We would be better off with a rider on a slightly lower average (although I appreciate may not be easy, based on who would be available) who can stay on his bike.

In fairness to Bates. On this occasion, it wasn't his fault. He was way out at the back and picked up some dirt. Similar to the Charles Wright incident a little later.  

That's quite right....it was a 'track' imbalance....however, it opens up a whole new debate about whether the rider has quick enough reactions to control the bike, like Tungate did a bit later on and also it questions the rider's balance/style.....being of a small/light frame probably doesn't help JB, as I'm sure a hell of a  lot of strength is needed to hang on in those situations.

He's a brave rider, but may be doesn't have the physical attributes needed to avoid sticky situations? just a thought.......

• Like 3

First outing with new team. Hopefully we’re competitive at least compared to how we have been on the road this season.

1 hour ago, nightshift said:

In fairness to Bates. On this occasion, it wasn't his fault. He was way out at the back and picked up some dirt. Similar to the Charles Wright incident a little later.  

Just exactly whose fault was it then?

I suppose it was circumstance, wrong place right time. I suspect, and I've never ridden a speedway bike, that if you suddenly get an unexpected grip that trows the bike from under you it's very difficult to do a lot about it. A bit like banana skin, lose balance and Booooommmmm

Anyone know what the layoff time is for a concussion that follows soon after a previous layoff?

The last one was 9 days, so will it be more than that? So at least 4 matches with limited r/r options seems very possible, maybe even 5

7 hours ago, nightshift said:

I suppose it was circumstance, wrong place right time. I suspect, and I've never ridden a speedway bike, that if you suddenly get an unexpected grip that trows the bike from under you it's very difficult to do a lot about it. A bit like banana skin, lose balance and Booooommmmm

C’mon,he appears to be out of control of the bike  at some stage in most races.There is grip on most tracks you have be aware of where it is.There was nobody near him when he crashed.

• Like 1

Who was out practicing soon after heat 15? Looked like he was wearing a set of NZ kevlars. 

14 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Who was out practicing soon after heat 15? Looked like he was wearing a set of NZ kevlars. 

Dakota Ballantyne, young lad from Australia 

• Like 1