British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Halifaxtiger

Redcar v Birmingham

Very decent meeting tonight :approve:

Both teams played a part even though the score flattered Birmingham a bit. Redcar were always in control.

The Bears will be a real threat at play off time. With an excellent heat leader trio, two firing second strings and a points scoring reserve they will be a handful for anyone.

Having been both furious and appalled at the actions of no less than three promotions over the last week or so (and those three won't get any money off me for a while) I was most impressed tonight.

For a start, in the programme Jitendra Duffil directly addressed fans concerns (are you watching Plymouth) over entry fees last week, and agreed to fund reductions where necessary. He then went to express his gratitude for the support that he had been given after the previous weeks meeting. The programme also had an interesting article about set ups, which we here a lot about but which to some are a complete mystery. Then we had the brilliant sight of youngsters on the centre green dancing with Smoggy the mascot, some of whom were from the radiation affected arears of the Ukraine and Belarus, who had all been equipped with the requisite Redcar flags. Finally, there was Roy Clarke speaking to a young lady who had just got engaged and the playing of Cliff Richard's 'Congratulations'.

All in all,  10 out of 10 for the promotion and to pay them a huge compliment, in terms of family atmosphere you were right up there with Isle of Wight.

PS Pleasure to meet Sidewinder tonight but slightly perturbed that he knew who I was. One promotion will definitely have me in their gunsights :D

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 8

I enjoyed the meeting too - some excellent races and the patched up Brummies team gave a good show (helps having a couple of ex Bears riding as guests). Paco was very entertaining to watch.

Bears look a very solid team now and we have yet to have Riss ride at home. Biggest cheer of the night reserved for Woolley getting his point.

Loved seeing the kids having a great time with Smoggy (who always does an excellent job)

• Like 3

When & why did Etheridge morph into Ostergaard?

Woolley was reasonable at Perry Barr on Wednesday, certainly didn't look out of place.

16 minutes ago, Yearbyred said:

I enjoyed the meeting too - some excellent races and the patched up Brummies team gave a good show (helps having a couple of ex Bears riding as guests). Paco was very entertaining to watch.

Bears look a very solid team now and we have yet to have Riss ride at home. Biggest cheer of the night reserved for Woolley getting his point.

Loved seeing the kids having a great time with Smoggy (who always does an excellent job)

To be fair, Smoggy is the star of the show. She is so talented and the kids love her. The BSPA should recruit her, to entertain, during the intervals at the big events.

• Like 1

Where was Smoggy Wednesday? Needed some light-hearted cheer.

7 hours ago, Col said:

Where was Smoggy Wednesday? Needed some light-hearted cheer.

What we needed was some shale, or better track prep.....that will provide the entertainment!

I do have some sympathy for whoever did the PB track on Wednesday. It was at times like being in a sandstorm, yet there were umbrellas on the terraces.

13 hours ago, Col said:

Birmingham named their side using R/R for Ellis and Etheridge as a Guest for Ash Morris but as Etheridge's average is higher than Morris' this was not allowed, forcing a quick rethink of the Birmingham team.

13 hours ago, Col said:

Woolley was reasonable at Perry Barr on Wednesday, certainly didn't look out of place.

I think mention should be made, about Ulrich's performance, in  this match. He rode his guts out, 100 % effort and it was a real pro performance, (as was Proctors). For the benefit of the Brummie fans, he looks to have turned a corner. His departure could have been a bit hasty. I don't think it was ever the rider, just mechanical issues.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

What we needed was some shale, or better track prep.....that will provide the entertainment!

There was the same amount of shale on the track Wednesday as the match against Glasgow, so may have been down to the prep in the day???????

56 minutes ago, pitstop84 said:

There was the same amount of shale on the track Wednesday as the match against Glasgow, so may have been down to the prep in the day???????

They were probably worried about over watering it as it was raining sporadically.

1 hour ago, pitstop84 said:

Or the fact that Terry has left his post and nobody else knows what to do???