British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle vs Glasgow 21/07/19 SGB Championship 6.30pm

2 hours ago, Loose Diamond said:

Because  Bickley moved first and did not get warning.

1 hour ago, Paulco said:

Clegg was still the one who touched the tapes,  not Bickley 

Honestly 

Ya both wrong (IMHO) I stand on the tapes line and Clegg moved first and Bickley went through them... Mick Bates the Referee tonight got it spot on... all four back and a warning for Clegg to sit still... Clegg was correctly penalised and Bickley done nothing wrong although he broke the tapes...

Regards 

THJ 

BTW it was the same when Starke moved in a later race but didn't touch the tapes but disadvantaged himself at the start by leaving the blocks in last position and Ref Bates let it go...

Good refereeing..

Regards 

THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Edited for accuracy

Good win in the end for the Diamonds after it looked like they might have thrown a decent start away. It seems that the track was not good for racing/passing and, as Chewie says, disappointing after 'ladies week'.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly 

Ya both wrong (IMHO) I stand on the tapes line and Clegg moved first and Bickley went through them... Mick Bates the Referee tonight got it spot on... all four back and a warning for Clegg to sit still... Clegg was correctly penalised and Bickley done nothing wrong although he broke the tapes...

Regards 

THJ 

BTW it was the same when Starke moved in a later race but didn't touch the tapes but disadvantaged himself at the start by leaving the blocks in last position and Ref Bates let it go...

Good refereeing..

Regards 

THJ 

'Bickley done nothing wrong although he broke the tapes' :blink:

As far as I could see, it was definitely Clegg that broke the tapes (and both Paulco and I had a good view) but if it was Bickley he should have been excluded. It certainly should not have been all four back. 

Its precisely this kind of bizarre inconsistency that gets referees a bad name.

Highlighting a further inconsistency at the starts,  at Redcar on Friday Ty Proctor handicapped himself by jumping but the race was pulled back. I agree with your view on this issue but think that all referees taking the same action is far more important.

9 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

When you put a, ';)' in your post, isn't it meant to suggest it's in jest ???,,, a bit like using an indicator whilst driving a vehicle to let folk know your intended direction of travel. A might not always put ';)'s in my posts, but I don't always use my indicators either,,, sometimes I think it funny to let other people guess.

I'm not up with all these emojis.

1 hour ago, Halifaxtiger said:

'Bickley done nothing wrong although he broke the tapes' :blink:

As far as I could see, it was definitely Clegg that broke the tapes (and both Paulco and I had a good view) but if it was Bickley he should have been excluded. It certainly should not have been all four back. 

Its precisely this kind of bizarre inconsistency that gets referees a bad name.

Highlighting a further inconsistency at the starts,  at Redcar on Friday Ty Proctor handicapped himself by jumping but the race was pulled back. I agree with your view on this issue but think that all referees taking the same action is far more important.

Considering I was standing in front of Paulco having a pint with him (that he bought by the way!!!) I had exactly the same view as him and can't remember seeing you there HT but never mind... also Paulco stated Clegg touched the tapes not broke them... Clegg was the one moving before the start and the instigator of what followed...

I think Mick Bates got both decisions spot on with the Clegg warning and all 4 back as his jump pulled everyone else forward and he (Clegg) didnt break the tapes and the Starke warning too was correct IMO by not stopping the Starke race as he had penalised himself by jumping (twitching) stopping and missing the start ending up at the back.

Only if the jump gains an advantage should the race be pulled back... and to my mind that would be if the offender ended up in front of an opposing rider...

I can't comment on the Redcar meeting and Graeme Hunters performance but I would have Mick Bates referee all my meetings if it were possible he is definitey one of the best in the country as far as I am concered 

Regards 

THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Edited for accuracy

1 hour ago, Winditon said:

I'm not up with all these emojis.

Yeah ok,,, but what about Starkey's performance last night ?,,, it could be argued that he thought he was still guesting for the Diamonds, definitely helped us win :t:

12 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Scored in reserves race, a gift for his other race, don't get carried away but glad for the lad that he will actually get paid enough to cover his travel costs for a change.

It seems Danny can do no right, he doubles what is expected from him average wise in a league he really shouldn't be in, and he still gets slagged off... Yes, I may do some of that from time to time, but when he deserves some praise I'm gonna give it to him... Can only beat what's in front of him and to be fair he did a very good job holding Kyle Bickley off for the 2/3 laps before he fell... Well done Danny :t: A good second pace in heat 2 too

Reserves throughout this season have gotten weaker imo... Matt Marson, Jason Edwards, Connor Coles, Joe Lawlor, Connor Bailey, Kyle Bickley, Tom Woolley, Henry Atkins, Danny Phillips with all due respect are riders who should NOT be expected to be in this league, but all are capable of beating eachother, yes it makes the races far too processional when they are in them, BUT it gives them opportunity to score points at Championship level...

6 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

It seems Danny can do no right, he doubles what is expected from him average wise in a league he really shouldn't be in, and he still gets slagged off... Yes, I may do some of that from time to time, but when he deserves some praise I'm gonna give it to him... Can only beat what's in front of him and to be fair he did a very good job holding Kyle Bickley off for the 2/3 laps before he fell... Well done Danny :t: A good second pace in heat 2 too

Reserves throughout this season have gotten weaker imo... Matt Marson, Jason Edwards, Connor Coles, Joe Lawlor, Connor Bailey, Kyle Bickley, Tom Woolley, Henry Atkins, Danny Phillips with all due respect are riders who should NOT be expected to be in this league, but all are capable of beating eachother, yes it makes the races far too processional when they are in them, BUT it gives them opportunity to score points at Championship level...

I wasn't slagging the lad off, anyone who gets on a speedway bike should not be slagged off by us ' terrace Warriors '. I was simply pointing out half his points were gifted, end of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Considering I was standing in front of Paulco having a pint with him (that he bought by the way!!!) I had exactly the same view as him and can't remember seeing you there HT but never mind... also Paulco stated Clegg touched the tapes not broke them... Clegg was the one moving before the start and the instigator of what followed...

I think Mick Bates got both decisions spot on with the Clegg warning and all 4 back as his jump pulled everyone else forward and he (Clegg) didnt break the tapes and the Starke warning too was correct IMO by not stopping the Starke race as he had penalised himself by jumping (twitching) stopping and missing the start ending up at the back.

Only if the jump gains an advantage should the race be pulled back... and to my mind that would be if the offender ended up in front of an opposing rider...

I can't comment on the Redcar meeting and Graeme Hunters performance but I would have Mick Bates referee all my meetings if it were possible he is definitey one of the best in the country as far as I am concered 

Regards 

THJ 

You don’t have to break the tapes to get excluded though ,so Clegg should have went if that was the case:blink:

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards 

THJ 

In my opinion the've made the starting procedure unnecessarily complicated......should be IMO.....if they're sitting still when the starting marshal walks away then that's fine.....if they move and or get a flier after that, who cares.....sometimes fliers can make the race more exciting. BUT, first to touch or break the tapes....automatic exclusion. All this "at the referee's discretion" is what is causing the gross inconsistency. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

have you checked out Kyle Bickleys scores this season . next season will be even greater . 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jenga said:

have you checked out Kyle Bickleys scores this season . next season will be even greater . 

Bickley will have to take a step up when he moves out of a reserve berth ,he is good at home but can disappoint away.He is still very young though.

16 minutes ago, jenga said:

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Bickley will have to take a step up when he moves out of a reserve berth ,he is good at home but can disappoint away.He is still very young though.

Bickley should be pleased with his performance last night, certainly the best av seen him round Brough :t:

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

I wasn't slagging the lad off, anyone who gets on a speedway bike should not be slagged off by us ' terrace Warriors '. I was simply pointing out half his points were gifted, end of.

Gifted or not it's still points in the bag and helps build much needed confidence for the lad.. 

Guest Loose Diamond
7 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

How were they gifted? Two of his opponents fell off. He stayed on. I know in the past he has had the tendancy to come off when in scoring positions but this time he did not.