British Speedway Forum
TheReturn

Tai / Rosco - Team GB 2020

36 minutes ago, bellevueace said:

Ive never been a great fan of Tai and that has nothing to do with his on track performances which you can only admire. The past couple of seasons he does seem to have matured and listening to him over the two days of the SON its hard to disagree with his viewpoints. He was also correct when he stated that the British league was sub standard which it is with the top riders giving it a miss. What disappointed me with Tai is as a current world champion he didn't ride over here in order for the sport to be able to market itself as having the current world champion, Tai no doubt is someone the kids could identify with which is something British speedway desperately needs. Compare that to Jason Doyle who as world champion was eager to ride in the British league when he could so easily have given it a miss, so credit to Doyley for his commitment to UK speedway, I just wish Tai would have shown that same commitment to riding here and promoting the sport as world champion. Be interesting to hear Roscoes reaction to Tai,s comments after his poor interview.

He's not correct about the riders giving it a miss as it's sub standard .. Given the money being more him and the others would be back in a shot . As i said before you won't see  another rider not ride in his own league bar Tai .

6 minutes ago, orion said:

He's not correct about the riders giving it a miss as it's sub standard .. Given the money being more him and the others would be back in a shot . As i said before you won't see  another rider not ride in his own league bar Tai .

I dont think it will be a huge shock if Lambert misses a season or 2 in the next few years.

2 hours ago, RPNY said:

For all his Passion etc Rosco clearly is not the man for the job. Anyone saying he's done great and over achieved as GB manager are simply lying to themselves. Tai scored over 60% of our points when we came 2nd in 2016 and only dropped a point in 2 days last year. Zero to do with anything Rosco did.  And its not a dig at Rosco it just is what it is.

Bomber being selected this week was clearly a bad choice and really quite sad. He's a 2nd tier heat leader now, that's it. To see a rider so loved by British speedway fans trailing half a lap behind was really sad to see. Again for all his passion and being a good servant to British Speedway and all the usual caveats that come with these situations, he simply isnt good enough for this level and hasn't been for the best part of 5 years now. Cookie going after his performance at the same track in the GP Challenge is understandable, but even tho Im a big fan of his, it seems he just can't cut the mustard at this level. Watching the Danish U21 lad leave us for dead was just about the final straw yesterday. How can we never find the right set up?

So in short, they do need to listen to what Tai (and Lambert) have to say and move on. No team win since 1989 and the only individual success coming from a lad who learnt it all in Aus and any future success resting with a lad who had a big part of his learning curve in Germany is very indicative of just how bad the GB set up is these days

Cook was riding with one arm after his first race fall..  How many more times does ths get ignored.

9 minutes ago, RPNY said:

I dont think it will be a huge shock if Lambert misses a season or 2 in the next few years.

And he would do well to. Lets face it the competition in riding in the Premiership is just not anymore and if Lambert wants to reach the top level he wont do that racing here IMO. He must race the top riders in Poland and Sweden on a regular bases.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mark said:

Cook was riding with one arm after his first race fall..  How many more times does ths get ignored.

I get it, I get it.... he was injured and surely that would affect his performance, Saturday night he did well, Sunday not so well.. But as I understand, he said he was riding mid trsck due to the wrist injury. Yet whe he was in the GP last year that is where he rode mainly - mid track. So easy to pick off, they just rode under him on the straight cause they knew once they get to the corner he wasnt going to fill the inside.  

18 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

I get it, I get it.... he was injured and surely that would affect his performance, Saturday night he did well, Sunday not so well.. But as I understand, he said he was riding mid trsck due to the wrist injury. Yet whe he was in the GP last year that is where he rode mainly - mid track. So easy to pick off, they just rode under him on the straight cause they knew once they get to the corner he wasnt going to fill the inside.  

Correct. Big fan of Cookie but the GP's last year and several years of SWC/SoN show he struggles at that level.

Edited by RPNY

2 hours ago, acef said:

He won’t need to put any money in after he retires. The idea is he invests now whilst he is racing and leaves the sport self sufficient.

The level of ineptitude on these pages is absolutely staggering.

would you invest in British Speedway?

1 hour ago, RPNY said:

No he isnt. Not tactically astute, not taken seriously by his riders, just an enthusiastic likable bloke. Not really whats needed at this level.

a Kevin Keegan

23 minutes ago, screm said:

And he would do well to. Lets face it the competition in riding in the Premiership is just not anymore and if Lambert wants to reach the top level he wont do that racing here IMO. He must race the top riders in Poland and Sweden on a regular bases.

didn't he just get binned off in Sweden?

How many times does GB produce a World Champion, let alone a guy who has won 3 ?   Now you have a guy who wants to take his national Team to a new level.  Do you not all think he should be listened to ?  I would suggest he knows more about reaching the top Speedway  than anyone else. Anyone else care to throw any names into the ring to rival that knowledge ?

How about a Mark Loram to work alongside him ?  Got to be more beneficial to Team GB than a part time lorry Driver who was a very average rider 20 plus years ago

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, semion said:

How about a Mark Loram to work alongside him ?

So you want two non-Brits to control GB???

Hang on, does being born in Malta make you British, or being born in Britain to British parents?

I'll get me coat... :rofl:

17 minutes ago, semion said:

How many times does GB produce a World Champion, let alone a guy who has won 3 ?   Now you have a guy who wants to take his national Team to a new level.  Do you not all think he should be listened to ?  I would suggest he knows more about reaching the top Speedway  than anyone else. Anyone else care to throw any names into the ring to rival that knowledge ?

How about a Mark Loram to work alongside him ?  Got to be more beneficial to Team GB than a part time lorry Driver who was a very average rider 20 plus years ago

I think the trouble with Tai's ideas as far as the BSPA are concerned is that it's going to cost them money

5 minutes ago, chunky said:

So you want two non-Brits to control GB???

Hang on, does being born in Malta make you British, or being born in Britain to British parents?

I'll get me coat... :rofl:

Crumpy it is then

If Pep Guardiola wanted the England would you turn him down cos he wasn’t English ?  What has where a person was born got anything to do with being the right person for the job?

Let me help you on with that coat

16 minutes ago, iainb said:

Crumpy it is then

Good call!!!:t:

Edited by chunky

12 minutes ago, semion said:

If Pep Guardiola wanted the England would you turn him down cos he wasn’t English ?  What has where a person was born got anything to do with being the right person for the job?

Let me help you on with that coat

I wish you a speedy recovery. You have obviously just got home from hospital after having your sense of humour removed... :(

There has been a constant battle on here as there are those who believe that being born in a foreign country makes you British, yet being born in Britain to British parents makes you an Aussie...

Yes, IT WAS A JOKE! WHOOSH! Iainb clearly got it...

Edited by chunky
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, RPNY said:

Correct. Big fan of Cookie but the GP's last year and several years of SWC/SoN show he struggles at that level.

I don't think Cook did too badly in the gp's last year, considering it was his first year. (Remember how much Woofy struggled in his first year.)

He understandably struggled in the early rounds but he was fairly competitive later on, doing well at Cardiff and scoring on a par with Pawlicki, who is regarded as an international class rider..plus he was only a run-off away from qualifying again for this year, and I reckon he would be doing better than Lindback, who has been rubbish so far.