British Speedway Forum
TheReturn

Tai / Rosco - Team GB 2020

21 minutes ago, Gambo said:

He, (along with Rory Schlien and other riders)  has spent many (unpaid) hours in training schools with the youngsters. And has also spent a lot of time on individual coaching with the Thompson twins at Leicester.

its that it ?  

You asked what he had done!

I have supplied an answer! 

What else do you think he MUST do to get your approval?

8 hours ago, Endeavour said:

Going by Cookie’s comments on film after last night’s match at Glasgow. He has no intention of giving up second division in GB. Financially a sound idea but not in best interest if if wants to get into and be competitive in foreign tracks at GP level. That’s difference between Fricke and Cookie.

Fricke is a level above and he now is genuine world class.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Endeavour said:

Going by Cookie’s comments on film after last night’s match at Glasgow. He has no intention of giving up second division in GB. Financially a sound idea but not in best interest if if wants to get into and be competitive in foreign tracks at GP level. That’s difference between Fricke and Cookie.

The difference between Cook and Fricke is 9 years of age. 

Cookie now at 32 would make a huge mistake giving up Championship Speedway. 

6 hours ago, orion said:

its that it ?  

Question for you and Sid the Robin:-

What has Rosco done since being GB Manager to benefit the future of British Speedway on the international stage?!? 

Cookie might not have a chance to ride champ next season if he continues this form, he is currently averaging just over 11.  Can't see any team taking him on that average or sacrifice lot of points.  

Edited by Cj69

8 minutes ago, Cj69 said:

Cookie might not have a chance to ride champ next season if he continues this form, he is currently averaging just over 11.  Can't see any team taking him on that average or sacrifice lot of points.  

Glasgow took him on with a 10.19 average this year, a point here and there won't make a difference. Glasgow know Cookie puts bums on seats, he's the best in the Championship. He's well worth the value of an 11 average at that level. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

So  you are  looking short  term???? myself i  am looking to the next generation's where do they come from.??? Last year we did well with just Woffinden/Lambert  was Rossiter crap then? This year without Woffinden were you really expecting much we need to get real.Even when Woffinden is fit he also is not unbeatable he needs more than just Lambert for support but who is next in line can you name them.?

The post topic is about 2020 so I was looking at 2020.

I didn't expect much following TW injuries and the crash. I'm not sure why you think that I did. For GB to do well and I would say that is to reach heat 22 and beyond you need a happy motivated TW and if that means a change in management then the changes need to be made

Longer term I don't see enough GB speedway to comment on what is been done with rider development. We will always struggle against the Poles to bring through as many top riders just because of the number of quality opportunities a young Pole will get given the popularity of the sport over there

From what I see GB speedway is that it comes across a bit unprofessional. I don't understand why the top riders are allowed to ride in Premiership and Championship.  I believe that brings our better riders down to the level of the lower league opposition. 

There seems to be too many small trick tracks and not enough big fast wide tracks. I think this works against GB riders making a success in Poland. 

However I'm sure it can all be solved relatively quickly. As long as there are still plenty of young riders with the appetite and drive to succeed then things can change. They just need to be given opportunities to progress to showcase their talents

Perhaps a tie up with the Swedish or Danish league to get some of there young riders over here and vice-versa would help our young riders take the next step

6 minutes ago, James Carter said:

The post topic is about 2020 so I was looking at 2020.

I didn't expect much following TW injuries and the crash. I'm not sure why you think that I did. For GB to do well and I would say that is to reach heat 22 and beyond you need a happy motivated TW and if that means a change in management then the changes need to be made

Longer term I don't see enough GB speedway to comment on what is been done with rider development. We will always struggle against the Poles to bring through as many top riders just because of the number of quality opportunities a young Pole will get given the popularity of the sport over there

From what I see GB speedway is that it comes across a bit unprofessional. I don't understand why the top riders are allowed to ride in Premiership and Championship.  I believe that brings our better riders down to the level of the lower league opposition. 

There seems to be too many small trick tracks and not enough big fast wide tracks. I think this works against GB riders making a success in Poland. 

However I'm sure it can all be solved relatively quickly. As long as there are still plenty of young riders with the appetite and drive to succeed then things can change. They just need to be given opportunities to progress to showcase their talents

Perhaps a tie up with the Swedish or Danish league to get some of there young riders over here and vice-versa would help our young riders take the next step

A great post and alot of it is totally  right until speedway in the UK all pull in the same  direction (ie) why are the league's seperate?? i cant see alot changing to be honest.

1 hour ago, Cj69 said:

He will be at Glasgow if they are running.

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

What has Rosco done since being GB Manager to benefit the future of British Speedway on the international stage?!? 

As you know the England team manager's  job now is not an attractive one Rossiter has no say on anything apart from team matters.A honest question to you what has Woffinden done for British speedway since becoming world champion.????

4 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Depends what his remit  it  ..  I expect his job is to pick the best side and get the best out of the people he's picked and that has been outstanding thus far remember he not getting paid 52 weeks of the year  .  The thing that is sad is about Woffy he had the power to do so much more in terms or  riding here turning up at uk finals etc . His attitude  been one of looking after himself and that is fair enough but if that is the case don't keep going on about  this passion for uk speedway .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fromafar said:

He will be at Glasgow if they are running.

Sounds ominous 

I'll throw is a couple of points on those decrying Tai Woffinden for not racing in the UK....

He is freelance worker and as a speedway rider, one who only has a few years - if he is lucky - to make his money. Why would he race in Britain if the rewards are not great and the negative impact it would have on his bigger earners and sporting and commercial goals? Any freelance worker has decisions to make on which work and clients to prioritise. He is no different. 

Do you think his predecessors as British world champions were all riding here just to put something back?? They raced in the UK because it was where they made the most money, end of. If Peter Collins, Mike Lee, Gary Havelock and the rest had the options of making more money in Poland and Sweden for less meetings, they would have done just the same. I may be wrong, but I also don't recall any of them putting on free training schools for British riders, or for that matter, raising £90k for children's charities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, falcace said:

I'll throw is a couple of points on those decrying Tai Woffinden for not racing in the UK....

He is freelance worker and as a speedway rider, one who only has a few years - if he is lucky - to make his money. Why would he race in Britain if the rewards are not great and the negative impact it would have on his bigger earners and sporting and commercial goals? Any freelance worker has decisions to make on which work and clients to prioritise. He is no different. 

Do you think his predecessors as British world champions were all riding here just to put something back?? They raced in the UK because it was where they made the most money, end of. If Peter Collins, Mike Lee, Gary Havelock and the rest had the options of making more money in Poland and Sweden for less meetings, they would have done just the same. I may be wrong, but I also don't recall any of them putting on free training schools for British riders, or for that matter, raising £90k for children's charities.

Mark Loram earned a lot more from Poland. For me it's nothing to do with training schools and everything to do with supporting speedway racing in their home nation.  Also, what about the fans - surely most people would love to be able to cheer on the World Champion and see them race first hand.  Some people understand it's not all about me me me. 

Edited by SPEEDY69