British Speedway Forum
TheReturn

Tai / Rosco - Team GB 2020

3 hours ago, RPNY said:

Sounds ominous 

Not meant in the context that they might not run.just saying he won’t be going anywhere.

6 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Not meant in the context that they might not run.just saying he won’t be going anywhere.

:t:

1 hour ago, falcace said:

I'll throw is a couple of points on those decrying Tai Woffinden for not racing in the UK....

He is freelance worker and as a speedway rider, one who only has a few years - if he is lucky - to make his money. Why would he race in Britain if the rewards are not great and the negative impact it would have on his bigger earners and sporting and commercial goals? Any freelance worker has decisions to make on which work and clients to prioritise. He is no different. 

Do you think his predecessors as British world champions were all riding here just to put something back?? They raced in the UK because it was where they made the most money, end of. If Peter Collins, Mike Lee, Gary Havelock and the rest had the options of making more money in Poland and Sweden for less meetings, they would have done just the same. I may be wrong, but I also don't recall any of them putting on free training schools for British riders, or for that matter, raising £90k for children's charities.

Also didn't Simon Wigg favour riding on the continent in Grasstrack/Longtrack instead of riding for his country...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, falcace said:

I'll throw is a couple of points on those decrying Tai Woffinden for not racing in the UK....

He is freelance worker and as a speedway rider, one who only has a few years - if he is lucky - to make his money. Why would he race in Britain if the rewards are not great and the negative impact it would have on his bigger earners and sporting and commercial goals? Any freelance worker has decisions to make on which work and clients to prioritise. He is no different. 

Do you think his predecessors as British world champions were all riding here just to put something back?? They raced in the UK because it was where they made the most money, end of. If Peter Collins, Mike Lee, Gary Havelock and the rest had the options of making more money in Poland and Sweden for less meetings, they would have done just the same. I may be wrong, but I also don't recall any of them putting on free training schools for British riders, or for that matter, raising £90k for children's charities.

Because you got a passion for uk speedway ...can't remember who say that but it was at the weekend and his first name was Tai. As I said before no problem with him earning as much as he can in the time he has but don't keep saying a passion when your the only rider who does not ride in his own league you don't ride in your own final and you go on holiday rather than riding in a World cup .. Every time there always a  feeble reason .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Mark Loram earned a lot more from Poland. For me it's nothing to do with training schools and everything to do with supporting speedway racing in their home nation.  Also, what about the fans - surely most people would love to be able to cheer on the World Champion and see them race first hand.  Some people understand it's not all about me me me. 

and I'm a big fan of my window cleaner's work...but the cheeky bugger still wants paying a decent wage every time!

Saying the fans want to see him is all well and good. But you have to draw the line somewhere. Should he risk his neck for a pittance?

Mark Loram may well have found it viable to race in the UK 12-15 years ago, as did many other GP riders. But would he in 2019? It's says it all that there is only one GP rider racing in the UK in 2019, in 2004 there were at least 13 of them in the UK.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Fricke is a level above and he now is genuine world class.

That’s my point. Max was willing to move out comfort zone of Championship Speedway for long term gains. Cookie has settled with riding in 2 GB divisions when he should have tried to break into Scandinavia a good few years ago. If he really believed in 20 20 vision he would be nowhere near second tier Speedway. GP has moved on since days of Stonehewer. You ain’t gonna be challenging for world title doing circles in div 2.

32 minutes ago, Endeavour said:

That’s my point. Max was willing to move out comfort zone of Championship Speedway for long term gains. Cookie has settled with riding in 2 GB divisions when he should have tried to break into Scandinavia a good few years ago. If he really believed in 20 20 vision he would be nowhere near second tier Speedway. GP has moved on since days of Stonehewer. You ain’t gonna be challenging for world title doing circles in div 2.

He got the elbow in Poland and nobody wants him in Sweden though.Thats the problem he’s got.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

He got the elbow in Poland and nobody wants him in Sweden though.Thats the problem he’s got.

Is that not part of the problem. Few British riders make the grade and will rarely get the track time in overseas leagues because they are not good enough. Until U.K. speedway bites the bullet and starts inviting overseas teams to race in the U.K. in test matches on a regular basis and at all levels to test every standard of rider from 125 c c upwards including NL level then the best most average riders can hope is to possibly be a large fish in a very small pond. Forget top GP riders appearing in a U.K. league match week in week out, it will never happen, those days have long gone. Speedway in this country needs to re-group and start looking inward before thinking about competing at international level with the Poles and the Russians. Five years at least before team England is ready to compete so the BSPA should get off the pot and stop pissing on al and sundry including the supporters. Rebuild or fold, simple as that.

3 hours ago, falcace said:

and I'm a big fan of my window cleaner's work...but the cheeky bugger still wants paying a decent wage every time!

Saying the fans want to see him is all well and good. But you have to draw the line somewhere. Should he risk his neck for a pittance?

Mark Loram may well have found it viable to race in the UK 12-15 years ago, as did many other GP riders. But would he in 2019? It's says it all that there is only one GP rider racing in the UK in 2019, in 2004 there were at least 13 of them in the UK.

Depends what you mean by Pittance ...Doyle still earns a decent wage at Swindon I  doubt many working class people would call it a pittance . 

Edited by orion

Yes Woffinden has every right to earn and ride wherever he wants to and fair play to him.But he cant make out he is as passionate about his country for me he has not shown that.Cant be bothered to do the British Final ( we could even seed him through) he has let us down as well in the past  by not riding in other international meeting's.Why does he expect to be able to call the shots for me he has not earned it.Look he is a great rider but he still is nowhere near my alltime greatest top 10 riders ever.

• Like 2

Tai makes plenty from racing overseas and has landed the vast majority of sponsors from doing so. The Scandinavians like to race in their domestic leagues as it endears themselves to local sponsors and its money that makes the spokes go round.

As for the British final Tai is on a hiding to nothing, it would cost him to ship in decent bikes so like his previous visits ends up on borrowed kit, if he wins X in a row (which he should as he is head and shoulders above any other UK rider) the event & he receives criticism for being dull and predicable, if he doesn't win because of a mechanical then he is accused of not being the best current GB eligible rider its a lose lose for him in the current situation. 

7 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Tai makes plenty from racing overseas and has landed the vast majority of sponsors from doing so. The Scandinavians like to race in their domestic leagues as it endears themselves to local sponsors and its money that makes the spokes go round.

As for the British final Tai is on a hiding to nothing, it would cost him to ship in decent bikes so like his previous visits ends up on borrowed kit, if he wins X in a row (which he should as he is head and shoulders above any other UK rider) the event & he receives criticism for being dull and predicable, if he doesn't win because of a mechanical then he is accused of not being the best current GB eligible rider its a lose lose for him in the current situation. 

As I said always feeble reasons … As I said if you got a passion for uk speedway you ride in your own final . If he turns and wins everyone would be happy plus the crowd would be  a lot bigger more people would watch it on tv etc etc  .

Why do people  keep defending his selfish actions all the time

9 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I cant remember Barry Briggs missing many British Final's and he was a New. Zealander.Ok then the British Final was an awesome meeting meant something but this passion thing i dont see it.

2 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I cant remember Barry Briggs missing many British Finals

The British Final was on the road to the World Final back then.

Just now, False dawn said:

The British Final was on the road to the World Final back then.

So?? ask Scott Nichols if the British title is worth winning.?