British Speedway Forum
TheReturn

Tai / Rosco - Team GB 2020

Are you guys on about the same Lee who was a bit of a character ?. If so even that will divide people from one extreme to another.

38 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

He got a wildcard given to him the likes of Greg Laguta never got a freebie ever.

And he has qualified every year since...

• Like 1

Just now, Crumpet77 said:

Michael Lee is the most naturally talented English speedway rider i have seen, unfortunately he never made the most of that talent. 

Which is pretty much what I said.  Yet according to Sidney, that means I classed him as an also-ran...

21 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

An opinion with nothing behind it but bias...i.e. meaningless.

At times Lee may have been better, but overall he simply was not. A career is judged over many years and the achievements there within. On that Lee threw it all away.

Also Woofy can put a surfboard on his roof rack as well as a bike 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Crumpet77 said:

Michael Lee is the most naturally talented English speedway rider i have seen, unfortunately he never made the most of that talent. 

That is exactly what i have heard about him. Not making the most of his talent. Lets just say what things he got up to are probably the reasons why he should not be compared to Tai.

26 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

An opinion with nothing behind it but bias...i.e. meaningless.

At times Lee may have been better, but overall he simply was not. A career is judged over many years and the achievements there within. On that Lee threw it all away.

Not bias - no reason to be

It’s an opinion based on what I’ve seen

6 minutes ago, craigACE said:

That is exactly what i have heard about him. Not making the most of his talent. Lets just say what things he got up to are probably the reasons why he should not be compared to Tai.

Any comparison I make has nothing to do with “things” either rider have ever got up to

• Like 1

Just now, Midland Red said:

Any comparison I make has nothing to do with “things” either rider have ever got up to

Wish people felt that way when talking about Carter, but no, we're not supposed to mention him...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chunky said:

Wish people felt that way when talking about Carter, but no, we're not supposed to mention him...

Totally agree - superb rider, top class

• Like 1

Yeah. Carter. Before my time again. I read the piece that Steve Park did in the Diamonds programme v Berwick in June. Seems there was allsorts to mention about him. Talent. But OMG what happened. Leave it there.

20 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Totally agree - superb rider, top class

I hated him, and thought he was a psycho tw*t, and what he did was terrible.  However, we can't change history, and he was a great rider.

Edited by chunky

26 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Not bias - no reason to be

It’s an opinion based on what I’ve seen

Was it his stunning 5pt average in 91 that swung it? 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Which is why your comparison is worthless as it is an integral part of what makes a rider great.

Lee couldn't cope.. Tai thus far has and has shown his superiority. 

Your argument is akin to me saying I saw Andy Phillips beat Hans Nielsen once so he is better.

Besides, all you saw Lee beating in the main was part time journeymen in the most part. Not hard to look great. :)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Which is why your comparison is worthless as it is an integral part of what makes a rider great.

Lee couldn't cope.. Tai thus far has and has shown his superiority. 

Your argument is akin to me saying I saw Andy Phillips beat Hans Nielsen once so he is better.

Besides, all you saw Lee beating in the main was part time journeymen in the most part. Not hard to look great. :)

Bur remember, ALL the riders back then were so much better than today's...

• Like 1

In my opinion it’s impossible to compare eras. As BW stated, Tai would beat the past legends ‘now’ every time. However, given the same professionalism today v the ‘said, good old days’, on the same level, we will never know.