British Speedway Forum
TheReturn

Tai / Rosco - Team GB 2020

4 hours ago, iris123 said:

How can you say Tai never qualified ? He did, just the same as Briggo did by winning the title

Briggo had to qualify to win his first title though. Tai didn't.

11 minutes ago, Terry said:

The thing to remember is that :

In order for Tai to become World Champion,  he had to compete in 12 meetings (the same as everybody else).

In order for Egon Muller to become 1983 World Champion, he had to compete in 5 meetings (fewer than some)

In order for Ole Olsen to become 1978 World Champion, he had to compete in 2 meetings (fewer than most)

In order for Jerzy Szczakiel to become 1973 World Champion, he had to compete in 1 meeting (fewer than anyone else)

Steve

25 minutes ago, chunky said:

In order for Tai to become World Champion,  he had to compete in 12 meetings (the same as everybody else).

In order for Egon Muller to become 1983 World Champion, he had to compete in 5 meetings (fewer than some)

In order for Ole Olsen to become 1978 World Champion, he had to compete in 2 meetings (fewer than most)

In order for Jerzy Szczakiel to become 1973 World Champion, he had to compete in 1 meeting (fewer than anyone else)

Steve

Yes, but every gp round is the world championship and I've never agreed with seeding anybody to the final, except the reigning champion.

Olsen and Mauger should have been allowed to ride in the 76 and 80 finals whether they qualified or not imo.

I often wonder if England would've seeded a rider in 85 if Tatum hadn't qualified. Although knowing our sense of fair play probably not!

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Steve

Back in the late 50s/early 60s the current World Champion was seeded straight through to the final.

1 hour ago, Terry said:

Yes, but every gp round is the world championship and I've never agreed with seeding anybody to the final, except the reigning champion.

Olsen and Mauger should have been allowed to ride in the 76 and 80 finals whether they qualified or not imo.

I often wonder if England would've seeded a rider in 85 if Tatum hadn't qualified. Although knowing our sense of fair play probably not!

I don't disagree with you on that, but modern sport seems to be littered with wildcards.

For me, the big problem with the old system was that there was no consistency, and everyone had different routes and a different number of meetings.

I'm not sure, but I think there ,may have been some kind of rule in place.  Of course, it was very different from previous years, with the first four from the British Final making the World  Final...

Steve

Edited by chunky

9 hours ago, Terry said:

Totally right Terry Tai had a dreadful debut GP series yet was spoon fed a place without earning it.How many good riders have not got through the cut throat qualifiers over the years quite a few that is where Tai was lucky.

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Totally right Terry Tai had a dreadful debut GP series yet was spoon fed a place without earning it.How many good riders have not got through the cut throat qualifiers over the years quite a few that is where Tai was lucky.

Strange, isn't it? I haven't heard you whining constantly this year about how Madsen was "spoon fed a place without earning it".

If you think Tai was "lucky", then that same criticism can be levelled at EVERY wild card. By winning the title when he was entered as a wild card, it proves that they were right to pick him, and that he WAS worthy of a place in the field.

Steve

Edited by chunky

15 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Lee never rode in a series and if he had  he would of lapped it up  it is easier.Twenty races Lee v Woffinden at There peak only one winner for me  please tell me why Woffinden( who never qualified for a series is the bees knees!!!!!) 

Considering your opinions on riders such as Auty its fair to say you have no idea how to judge a riders ability.. Woffinden is the best British rider ever.. Fact 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Which is why your comparison is worthless as it is an integral part of what makes a rider great.

Lee couldn't cope.. Tai thus far has and has shown his superiority. 

Your argument is akin to me saying I saw Andy Phillips beat Hans Nielsen once so he is better.

Besides, all you saw Lee beating in the main was part time journeymen in the most part. Not hard to look great. :)

You never cease to amuse! - not quite at Shoveller’s level, although he does occasionally admit to not being factually correct in what he writes

You have your opinions, I have mine - neither are right, yours or mine - they’re just opinions, which we’re both entitled to

But stop putting forward your opinions as facts

2 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

You never cease to amuse! - not quite at Shoveller’s level, although he does occasionally admit to not being factually correct in what he writes

You have your opinions, I have mine - neither are right, yours or mine - they’re just opinions, which we’re both entitled to

Using facts to substantiate an opinion is vastly different from using baseless opinions to substantiate an opinion...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Midland Red said:

I only put facts forward as facts, opinions I back up with facts which is something you consistently fail to do.

8 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

I only put facts forward as facts, opinions I back up with facts which is something you consistently fail to do.

They don't get it, do they?

12 minutes ago, chunky said:

They never do... when the opinion argument is trotted out with nothing to back it up, it's pretty much an admission the debate is lost.

1 hour ago, phillipsr said:

Considering your opinions on riders such as Auty its fair to say you have no idea how to judge a riders ability.. Woffinden is the best British rider ever.. Fact 

Really i think many a Peter Craven fan would disagree with you!!!! winning a Gp series is a different disipline than a one off world final that is fact also your opinion of Auty has always been blinkered.

Edited by Sidney the robin

26 minutes ago, chunky said:

Why dont you lick his b....    while you are at it !!!!! you dont get it also what an arrogant and patronizing remark aimed at Midland Red.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1