British Speedway Forum
TheReturn

Tai / Rosco - Team GB 2020

It's all very reminiscent of the debates about the Big Five in the old days. It was generally reckoned that the most gifted and most talented.rider was Ronnie Moore and the most spectacular to watch was Peter Craven, but for sheer determination and the most successful were Ove Fundin and Barry Briggs, both of whom would figure in most people's top riders of all times above Moore and Craven.

It is all a matter of opinion and there are no right or wrong answers and depends on what it is that is regarded as the true mark of the "best".

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, norbold said:

It's all very reminiscent of the debates about the Big Five in the old days. It was generally reckoned that the most gifted and most talented.rider was Ronnie Moore and the most spectacular to watch was Peter Craven, but for sheer determination and the most successful were Ove Fundin and Barry Briggs, both of whom would figure in most people's top riders of all times above Moore and Craven.

It is all a matter of opinion and there are no right or wrong answers and depends on what it is that is regarded as the true mark of the "best".

Didn’t anyone rate the fifth man then? ;)

Call me dense (or too young-ish) but who was the fifth man?

34 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Anyway we are getting off topic.

Rossiter was better than Lee or Woffinden.

As a manager? :blink:

13 minutes ago, Terry said:

Joseph Cotten.

Oh sorry, he was the Third Man... :t:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Terry said:

Björn Knutson.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gavan said:

Absolutely spot on 100%

You can look at three criteria and i will give you 3 answers..... but if you are discussing best rider ....its Tai if we talking about British only

Favourite to watch...........Mark Loram

Most naturally talented...........Loram, Ward, K.Moran, Screen, Gollob, Lee, Collins , Carter

Best Ever..........Rickardsson, Nielsen, Mauger, Woffinden

Woffinden before Fundin, Briggs and Hancock? I think not.

Carter more naturally talented than Shawn Moran? Never in this world.

Mark Loram favourite to watch? Absolutely spot on!

1 minute ago, norbold said:

Björn Knutson.

Thanks. I was thinking Michanek! Still, correct nationality.

26 minutes ago, Terry said:

Woffinden before Fundin, Briggs and Hancock? I think not.

Carter more naturally talented than Shawn Moran? Never in this world.

Mark Loram favourite to watch? Absolutely spot on!

As highly as I rate Woffinden, I agree that he is not at the Rickardsson/Mauger/Nielsen level - yet. Needs another win or two...

I would also put Gundersen and Olsen in that elite group.

Michanek's peak was 10-15 years after the group mentioned.

Steve

16 hours ago, Gavan said:

Most naturally talented...........Loram, Ward, K.Moran, Screen, Gollob, Lee, Collins , Carter

Best Ever..........Rickardsson, Nielsen, Mauger, Woffinden

For me - Most naturally talented - Ward, Lee, Gollob, K. Moran, Carter 

BestEver - Fundin, Mauger, Rickardsson, Nielsen, Collins

On 8/11/2019 at 8:02 PM, phillipsr said:

Burrows and Josh Auty would of ruled world speedway of it was just based on pure talent... Lee, Woffinden, Craven also rans in comparison 

Ask the home Scunny fans if Auty has any talent or not.!!!! or maybe you believe you know better NOT.

On 8/13/2019 at 8:45 PM, norbold said:

Spot on Norbold , Midland Red has been saying this all along it is only someone's opinion no more no less.

Those with long memories will wonder where riders like Vic Duggan, Jack Parker, Eric Langton and a few more may fit in with a best ever rating!

16 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Ask the home Scunny fans if Auty has any talent or not.!!!! or maybe you believe you know better NOT.

Being good at one track doesnt make you talented.. The sport is littered with pretty poor riders who were good at one track  

• Like 1