British Speedway Forum
TheReturn

Tai / Rosco - Team GB 2020

13 hours ago, enotian said:

To be fair the BSPA are doing a lot more to develop young riders than ever before but it will take a while before this bears fruit. No need to reinvent the wheel after today. It was embarrassing but any country would have struggled without Woffinden and Lambert. Cook and Harris were just the next two taxi's on the rank and were exactly that....   rank, but I'd struggle to thing of anyone who'd have done any better.

The challenge for the BSPA is how to get the talent to become world class. 

I think the BSPA have pretty much washed their hands in the development of young riders and subbed it all out. You only had to look for the non-existent promotion of the recent WU21 team event at BV, it wasn't even mentioned on their website or twitter feed until the day of the event.

As for TM, what about Rob Lyon, didn't he resign because the BSPA refused to back him with his ideas that seem to have now been pretty much fully implemented... maybe time to return to Rob?

• Like 3

It's been debated a number of times and issues I know of go back to the days of Michael Lee & then Simon Wigg.  Yes Tai has his views, as do we all and he has been very successful on the international stage.  I'd suggest he could pass on a lot of this knowledge by riding in his own domestic league, influencing riders and inspiring directly rather than slag it off as not being world class.  Riders from other countries nearly always ride in their own leagues and contest National Championships (Australia excepted).

Plenty of riders may want to ride in other leagues across Europe but they need to stand out here first before they'll be considered. I did like his suggestion of using Wolverhampton as a venue (would suit him of course) but the point is well made about different types of track.  I'd also agree that skipping and eating Goji berries is not going to make you a World Champ but what the likes of Nicholls and Harris also do by riding in the UK, helping to develop British riders, should not be easily dismissed/overlooked. 

The only mistake Rosco made was in his selection - the addition of a spare rider would have been vetoed due to cost I'd have thought and not one for him to be criticised for - he seemed to miss the point of the question when interviewed, it wasn't about having Bewley rather than Harris it was about having an additional rider in Russia in the event of an injury.

6 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Riders calling the tune though is not the way to go we know there are mega problems in British speedway that need solving.Is this problem really that important?? in the scheme of thing's  i think not.Also is everyone convinced that Woffinden really cares???  or does he care when it suits him his record in the past suggests there is a doubt in that regard.

I think he cares deeply and his comments yesterday only reaffirm my point of view.

Thats a man with passion for his nation, but crucially with the knowledge, medals and titles to back it up.

If GB don’t start listening and cooperating with a man of his stature then he will walk away and that is just sacrilege. Absolutely phenomenally stupid decision making.

He has the people and the knowledge in his team to begin the transformation of British speedway and imo should be allowed to do exactly that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, acef said:

I think he cares deeply and his comments yesterday only reaffirm my point of view.

Thats a man with passion for his nation, but crucially with the knowledge, medals and titles to back it up.

If GB don’t start listening and cooperating with a man of his stature then he will walk away and that is just sacrilege. Absolutely phenomenally stupid decision making.

He has the people and the knowledge in his team to begin the transformation of British speedway and imo should be allowed to do exactly that.

Do you honestly believe Tai would put anytime and money into British speedway after he retires.Why would he, we had a chance with the late GREAT John Berry to revamp British speedway and nothing become of it so why do you think now would be any different   as exciting as an idea that it might be.

Edited by Sidney the robin

13 hours ago, enotian said:

Havelock, Loram, Louis??? plenty of relatively recent experience to be passed on there. But to be fair does the team manager have that much of an input? Cieslak let his riders select the wrong gates and the Russian bloke didn't look like he knew where he was.

To be fair the BSPA are doing a lot more to develop young riders than ever before but it will take a while before this bears fruit. No need to reinvent the wheel after today. It was embarrassing but any country would have struggled without Woffinden and Lambert. Cook and Harris were just the next two taxi's on the rank and were exactly that....   rank, but I'd struggle to thing of anyone who'd have done any better.

The challenge for the BSPA is how to get the talent to become world class. 

But what does that actually mean and how would that benefit British speedway?  We have a British World Champ again but how is that used to help promote the sport here if he won't even ride here!  I'd fancy that at many British tracks, our boys would stand up well against the other nations.  When people say world class do they actually mean ride well in Poland?

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Is there anyone better than Chris?? i dont know Lawson is the only other rider i can think of mainly because of his gating.Bewley ok he maybe should not of been in the squad as he had a awkward fall at Peterborough and has just comeback from serious injury but Alun was only thinking of Dan's welfare.

Bewley rode in Sweden on Tuesday so he was fully fit.

Just now, Mark said:

Bewley rode in Sweden on Tuesday so he was fully fit.

After last years horrendous injuries no way is he 100 per cent fit.

Just now, Sidney the robin said:

After last years horrendous injuries no way is he 100 per cent fit.

only he would know to what percentage he was fit but he rode Tuesday

16 minutes ago, acef said:

His actions has always showed zero passion  for his nation .. start riding here and turning up at uk finals etc . his actions have ever shown one thing he cares about himself and his ego .

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

But what does that actually mean and how would that benefit British speedway?  We have a British World Champ again but how is that used to help promote the sport here if he won't even ride here!  I'd fancy that at many British tracks, our boys would stand up well against the other nations.  When people say world class do they actually mean ride well in Poland?

And how much promotion do you think there would be to encourage people to leave the house and watch Tai if he did ride here? Back in the day (late 70's/early 80's) I always knew when the world champion was in town... I don't know how, I was only a kid, but I knew none the less

10 minutes ago, orion said:

His actions has always showed zero passion  for his nation .. start riding here and turning up at uk finals etc . his actions have ever shown one thing he cares about himself and his ego .

Don’t agree about Team GB or whatever you want to call it, he has shown passion for the project by wanting it to be the best it can be and and removing himself from it when measures weren’t in place to ensure that. Don’t always agree with his actions or comments but I don’t think his passion can be questioned. 

Agree that he should come over and do the British Final, pretty poor that he doesn’t. But don't blame him for not doing the British League, our top division is a shambles compared to Poland & Sweden and the World titles he has won vindicates his twice a week schedule. Yes he has an ego but he is passionate about GB winning things. 

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Star Lady said:

Much as I respect Scott Nicholls as a rider/pundit, no way should he become GB team Manager, he's too close to it at present.

The emphasis is on MANAGER.

I'm pretty sure Peter Adams,  for instance, never rode a bike but he knows how to win matches, he knows how to motivate riders.  That's a team managers job, not being one of the lads who goes for a pint and a burger with the riders. 

Being a good rider does not make a good team manager. 

All good points. 

5 hours ago, orion said:

to take pot shots at Rosco when he was in an impossible spot was as low as you could get

Rosco's own ludicrous comments pre-meeting yesterday deserved not just pot shots, great big cannonballs.

Edited by TheReturn

47 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Riders calling the tune though is not the way to go we know there are mega problems in British speedway that need solving.Is this problem really that important?? in the scheme of thing's  i think not.

Well we have know about big problems for years and Tai appears to be the only one having the balls to say it loudly and appearing to do something about it.   If we can not listen to the multiple world champion who seems to be talking sense then who can we listen to? 

48 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

it wasn't about having Bewley rather than Harris it was about having an additional rider in Russia in the event of an injury.

That is thinking for today, not tomorrow.

Surely taking an additional under-21 rider would not just provide backup coverage, but should they need to be called to the big stage in a years time they will have spent two days soaking it all in this year, and be slightly better prepared. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1