British Speedway Forum

7 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Football only has the clout because of sky money

But football is properly run. No golden goal when a team is behind; no doubling up and down; players not commuting and facing burn-out and impacting overall performance for each team; no not knowing if the match is on or off, or what time it'll end; supporters getting to know their team for longer than a couple of weeks before musical chairs and the big shake-up for the play-off begins..... I could go on. 

Football has the clout because of SKY money; but SKY has the clout because of football.

Speedway had its chance with SKY cash. But, as that annoying saying goes: We are where we are.

Only Boris Johnson is allowed so many chances to mess up.

8 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

But football is properly run. No golden goal when a team is behind; no doubling up and down; players not commuting and facing burn-out and impacting overall performance for each team; no not knowing if the match is on or off, or what time it'll end; supporters getting to know their team for longer than a couple of weeks before musical chairs and the big shake-up for the play-off begins..... I could go on. 

Football has the clout because of SKY money; but SKY has the clout because of football.

Speedway had its chance with SKY cash. But, as that annoying saying goes: We are where we are.

Only Boris Johnson is allowed so many chances to mess up.

...and, of course, the mass media covers football to a saturation level which obviously adds to the appeal which encourages the masses to endorse the game.

Edited by steve roberts

Yes... but the PL know they could get just as much money by going to BT, Amazon, Disney etc. Which puts the PL in a postion of strength... look at the lower leagues, they have play offs all be it not for the top spot

Agreed geoff, but you can not compare any other sport to football it’s on another planet. Having Sky Sports on board superbly promoting the sport live weekly at prime time was a golden opportunity and then losing them was a fatal mistake. The sport should have worked together with Sky to develop the sport instead Sky was seen by the BSPA as a ‘problem’ that were taking fans from the terraces. As has been proved time and again the people running the BSPA are clueless clowns. Sadly nothing will change with numpties Chapman and Godfrey in charge.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

Agreed geoff, but you can not compare any other sport to football it’s on another planet. Having Sky Sports on board superbly promoting the sport live weekly at prime time was a golden opportunity and then losing them was a fatal mistake. The sport should have worked together with Sky to develop the sport instead Sky was seen by the BSPA as a ‘problem’ that were taking fans from the terraces. As has been proved time and again the people running the BSPA are clueless clowns. Sadly nothing will change with numpties Chapman and Godfrey in charge.

I was never sure at which market speedway being on SKY was aimed at...was it to attract new supporters and/or sponsorship or for the benefit of those already attending? Unfortunately it achieved neither for reasons that have been discussed many times over the superseding years.

24 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I was never sure at which market speedway being on SKY was aimed at...was it to attract new supporters and/or sponsorship or for the benefit of those already attending? Unfortunately it achieved neither for reasons that have been discussed many times over the superseding years.

The main aim was over a 5yr plan, first and formost to make the sport more professional. 

2nd was an attempt to bring more money in to keep the "star" men. 

3rd was advertising 

4th, maintaining existing supporters

5th, being attractive enough to encourage new fans. 

What's actually happened in the 20yrs of television is absolutely none of the above. 

In fact, from 1999 to today the sport in the uk has declined in horrendous fashion. 

Even die hards have given up and walked away, new millenia fans have come and gone. 

This sport in the UK is in serious need of a defibrillator 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Sky only have the clout because of the advertising/sponsorship revenue from the gambling companies. If the law changes more to block gambling companies from their TV advertising and sponsorship then Sky and football will be up s#!t creek!

• Like 1

A promoter once told me that the "Sky Money" basically paid for the EL No1..

As it was circa £110k per team not a bad little earner for your '3rd job'..

Think they also got £10k a match to cover any crowd shortfall..

Literally MILLIONS handed out to riders, (and tuners) over 20 years to deliver what we have today..

Truly a criminally sad joke...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, mikebv said:

A promoter once told me that the "Sky Money" basically paid for the EL No1..

As it was circa £110k per team not a bad little earner for your '3rd job'..

Think they also got £10k a match to cover any crowd shortfall..

Literally MILLIONS handed out to riders, (and tuners) over 20 years to deliver what we have today..

Truly a criminally sad joke...

Ha Ha.

Not quite the right spin on it again. When it was confirmed, it was understood to be a reward to the promotions to maintain the team strengths, and as expected a most needed increase in the income stream to keep speedway more viable. Certain powerful riders from another country, upped their demands followed by home riders in the same class. That filtered down to lesser riders , and in order to keep SKY happy and retain the top riders, the promoters were forced to cave in just to retain the status quo. You could blame the promoters, like you usually do, but the alternative would have been vastly reduced team strengths, and SKY possibly rethinking the deal as the UK speedway bosses would have been though to not delivering their side of the deal. The potential windfall reluctantly went to riders, who held the them Elite League promoters to ranson.

A very sad joke indeed but for different reasons to yours.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

This sport in the UK is in serious need of a defibrillator 

What it needs and what it's going to get are two very different things. Nothing except vastly better racing on standardised bikes ( as in the Nice trial ) is going to bring in new fans. That really could be a saviour for the UK sport, if rider power does not thwart it.

8 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Ha Ha.

Not quite the right spin on it again. When it was confirmed, it was understood to be a reward to the promotions to maintain the team strengths, and as expected a most needed increase in the income stream to keep speedway more viable. Certain powerful riders from another country, upped their demands followed by home riders in the same class. That filtered down to lesser riders , and in order to keep SKY happy and retain the top riders, the promoters were forced to cave in just to retain the status quo. You could blame the promoters, like you usually do, but the alternative would have been vastly reduced team strengths, and SKY possibly rethinking the deal as the UK speedway bosses would have been though to not delivering their side of the deal. The potential windfall reluctantly went to riders, who held the them Elite League promoters to ranson.

A very sad joke indeed but for different reasons to yours.

As I say...

A promoter at the time told me that the Sky money paid to keep the No1..

Maybe he wasn't telling the truth...?

I do know one lad who got £95k so not too far off I would suggest...

His sponsor also told me that after paying for his Speedway and living costs, there wasn't much left. ..:o

Anyway...

Promoters know best...

They have done a great job with thousands of hours prime time TV coverage and Millions of pounds haven't they?

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

I do not see going off at a tangent to the rest of the Speedway world as an answer

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

As I say...

A promoter at the time told me that the Sky money paid to keep the No1..

Maybe he wasn't telling the truth...?

I do know one lad who got £95k so not too far off I would suggest...

His sponsor also told me that after paying for his Speedway and living costs, there wasn't much left. ..:o

Anyway...

Promoters know best...

They have done a great job with thousands of hours prime time TV coverage and Millions of pounds haven't they?

Well they have at least had the guts to try and make it pay, and it cost them a lot of money to do so. Rent a solution people on here get off lightly by not being asked or prepared to actually give it a go, and risk their own money on any silly suggestions that they come up with. Very safe seat that one. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Well they have at least had the guts to try and make it pay, and it cost them a lot of money to do so. Rent a solution people on here get off lightly by not being asked or prepared to actually give it a go, and risk their own money on any silly suggestions that they come up with. Very safe seat that one. 

I agree, very easy to criticise..

However, by the same token, criticism can only be given if there is something to actually criticise..

And by doing the same old, same old, year in year out, when it clearly doesn't work, leaves you well open to criticism I would suggest..

The sport (in Britain) is dying a slow lingering death...

The same sport (in other countries), isn't, and in Poland it is actually growing..

The same sport...!

With two wildly differing Business and Operating models...

45000 mainly British fans will descend on Cardiff in September to watch the GP..

15000 of which, at the very best, will attend a domestic Speedway track this week..

That 45000 shows that there is still a market for the Sport...

That 15000 also shows how disenfranchised and disillusioned so many domestic fans are..

That's down to those who run it....

As leaders,  the buck stops with you...

Good results or bad...

Edited by mikebv

Some might suggest that its far easier to promote a once-a-year GP in Cardiff (that I assume makes money, cos not all those 45000 actually pay to get in and renting the stadium for at least a week will not be cheap?) in a modern venue than every week or two for 5 months in varying venues of sparse facilities.

Well done to the promoters who are still giving it a go despite all the sports ills.

• Like 1