British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, iwright71 said:

Don't go down that line. You will get Fortythirtyeight on your case, he has already told me I'm wrong when I dared to say quality of racing had detreated since the silencer change in 2011. I have eyes , can only call it how I see it. 

How can this be true when crowds at some tracks have increased recently? Fans at Belle Vue, Scunthorpe, Redcar, Glasgow have all quoted repeatedly that they are seeing better racing now but you say the opposite.

Must just be your eyes.

Edited by Fortythirtyeight
Spelling

10 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

How is that even possible when all the bikes would be acting the same?

Is that a serious question?  I don't get the impression you are that naive .

7 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

How can this be true when crowds at some tracks have increased recently? Fans at Belle Vue, Scunthorpe, Redcar, Glasgow have all quoted repeatedly that they are seeing better racing now but you say the opposite.

Must just be your eyes.

Eyes are normally a pretty good method of informal assessment but in terms of how exciting and thrilling racing is at the above tracks, we should use the measure of turnstile clicks ( paid ones ). None of them have reported new fans or disillusioned returning fans flocking to matches.

13 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

A very debatable heat result in the end. I was there in Pocking for this meeting and I remember this race well.

In the re-run after Han's exclusion Sam knew his bike was in trouble on the startline and he attempted to leave the track but was forced to go back on by the stewards, as the 3 riders entered the 1st bend ermolenko's bike stopped causing Hamill to fall . The race should have been run with two riders only but Sam was allowed back in on another machine and we all know the result. A very controversial decision given the meeting referee's well known intense dislike of Hans Nielsen.

Agreed, but there was no doubts over the original exclusion.

You often needed a touch of luck in the old one off World Finals. Nobody can argue Ermolenko wasn't the best rider in the world that year.

4 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

Eyes are normally a pretty good method of informal assessment but in terms of how exciting and thrilling racing is at the above tracks, we should use the measure of turnstile clicks ( paid ones ). None of them have reported new fans or disillusioned returning fans flocking to matches.

Then you haven't kept up with the threads, Glasgow, Belle Vue ,Redcar have all reported ' new fans' just not in the great numbers they and all of us hoped for.

11 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

Is that a serious question?  I don't get the impression you are that naive .

You said that the introduction of silencers had made the standard of racing deteriorate. If all bikes are effected the same way, which they were, then all bikes will perform similarly therefore the racing will still be as close , or not, as it was before .

They might be slightly slower or even less noisey but this would not effect the STANDARD of racing.

2 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

You said that the introduction of silencers had made the standard of racing deteriorate. If all bikes are effected the same way, which they were, then all bikes will perform similarly therefore the racing will still be as close , or not, as it was before .

They might be slightly slower or even less noisey but this would not effect the STANDARD of racing.

I think you will find that the major criticism of this particular silencer was that the power from the engine didn't come in progressively. It caused the riders difficulties as often they would pick up drive unexpectedly, usually in the turns, and the bikes would lift dangerously. As a result riders were reluctant to get too close in case something untoward happened which indirectly caused a deterioration in the quality of the racing.  IMO

19 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

I think you will find that the major criticism of this particular silencer was that the power from the engine didn't come in progressively. It caused the riders difficulties as often they would pick up drive unexpectedly, usually in the turns, and the bikes would lift dangerously. As a result riders were reluctant to get too close in case something untoward happened which indirectly caused a deterioration in the quality of the racing.  IMO

That is your opinion, not backed up by facts though. Having spoken to riders at length at the time about the 2011 silencers they never stated they were' reluctant too get close to someone' they complained the bikes ' died ' in deep dirt and some brands caused overheating issue. Having used said silencers myself and having spoken with Jason Lyons several times on the subject as he particularly suffered early season with these silencers he never ever said it had any affect on getting near other riders so made no difference to the quality of the racing.

Many of those era silencers are still being used at amateur meetings up and down the country as they were available very cheaply when the rule was changed yet gain.

Edited by Fortythirtyeight
Spelling

2 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Agreed, but there was no doubts over the original exclusion.

You often needed a touch of luck in the old one off World Finals. Nobody can argue Ermolenko wasn't the best rider in the world that year.

i suppose it depends where you consider "a touch of luck" finishes and a huge chunk of luck begins really.:D

i will say that such was my intense  frustration with the result, & for the one and only time in my life I found myself at the back of the room during the riders press conference heckling the winner during his speech .:D

I don't know what the tv money is worth these days, definitely not the sort of figure it used to be, so can people honestly say it has been worth it this year with the quality of meetings tv shows? 

Every Monday night after a meeting has been shown (and during) all we hear about is how bad the meeting was, how bad the track was, bad referee decisions, cheating the rules, how poor the crowd is etc etc, surely if this is the case it's neither going to encourage newbies to go, or make the people that stopped going, go again!

Is it time to bin the tv coverage and put all efforts into rebuilding the sport from the ground up, away from the cameras so Nigel & Kelvin don't have to explain the "5 year plan" every meeting and as good a job that they do, it would be a task keeping people informed.

Keep the tv coverage of the GP's, i love watching them and love attending even more, as i'm sure many do.

Have the BSPA strike a deal with the companies that film at all tracks, get out a FREE weekly programme, maybe on a YouTube channel, showing the BEST races from around the country, and build up the excitement so people WANT to come back. There's great racing at ALL tracks, and there's poor racing at all tracks, so let's keep the poor stuff a secret and hope track quality etc to suit the bikes is sorted before even entertaining live meetings again. It's been mentioned so many times about having a highlights package but everyone still prefers live.

The recent broadcast from Belle Vue as a delayed 'live' was great, and shows YouTube is a decent host.

We need to improve the entertainment before putting it out to the 'masses' on BT Sport or SKY, time to build to save the sport.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, stevehone said:

I don't know what the tv money is worth these days, definitely not the sort of figure it used to be, so can people honestly say it has been worth it this year with the quality of meetings tv shows? 

Every Monday night after a meeting has been shown (and during) all we hear about is how bad the meeting was, how bad the track was, bad referee decisions, cheating the rules, how poor the crowd is etc etc, surely if this is the case it's neither going to encourage newbies to go, or make the people that stopped going, go again!

Is it time to bin the tv coverage and put all efforts into rebuilding the sport from the ground up, away from the cameras so Nigel & Kelvin don't have to explain the "5 year plan" every meeting and as good a job that they do, it would be a task keeping people informed.

Keep the tv coverage of the GP's, i love watching them and love attending even more, as i'm sure many do.

Have the BSPA strike a deal with the companies that film at all tracks, get out a FREE weekly programme, maybe on a YouTube channel, showing the BEST races from around the country, and build up the excitement so people WANT to come back. There's great racing at ALL tracks, and there's poor racing at all tracks, so let's keep the poor stuff a secret and hope track quality etc to suit the bikes is sorted before even entertaining live meetings again. It's been mentioned so many times about having a highlights package but everyone still prefers live.

The recent broadcast from Belle Vue as a delayed 'live' was great, and shows YouTube is a decent host.

We need to improve the entertainment before putting it out to the 'masses' on BT Sport or SKY, time to build to save the sport.

rumoured to be about 25k for each PL Club last year, not sure about this, might explain why Buster wanted 75k though!

rumours that (I dont know his surname Adrian at Belle vue) is working on some new "web streaming" idea which was mentioned at some point in Speedway Star, not sure how advanced that is though.

It can be bought off the shelf. Very simple to do as long as there’s a good broadband connection at the track. Have a subscription service or pay for one off meetings. Easy and the whole setup can be purchased from several media companies.

On 7/29/2019 at 7:07 AM, waytogo28 said:

I am in that category waytogo28. My last visit to speedway was the last ever speedway at Wimbledon in 2005. From the many comments about speedway these days that I read on this forum I see little incentive to make an effort to attend a modern time meeting. 

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, gustix said:

I am in that category waytogo28. My last visit to speedway was the last ever speedway at Wimbledon in 2005. From the many comments about speedway these days that I read on this forum I see little incentive to make an effort to attend a modern time meeting. 

So you take the frankly often drivel spoken by some on here as a part of the reason to not make an effort - that's disappointing.