British Speedway Forum

48 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

It can be bought off the shelf. Very simple to do as long as there’s a good broadband connection at the track. Have a subscription service or pay for one off meetings. Easy and the whole setup can be purchased from several media companies.

I'd be up for that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

I'd be up for that.

I agree. If you could have a weekly programme either live or a highlights meeting and this can pull in events from around the globe particular in the winter months and include meetings from Australia, Argentina, USA and Canada as well as Ice speedway meetings so that it really is a weekly fix then I would happily pay a reasonable monthly subscription per month and save on BT. The GP meetings are on YouTube and even if they are highlights, what more could the fan ask for. Throw in the lower leagues in each country and perhaps the odd Long track and grass track and it could be heaven. Just need a channel or medium to deliver. 

11 hours ago, HGould said:

rumoured to be about 25k for each PL Club last year, not sure about this, might explain why Buster wanted 75k though!

rumours that (I dont know his surname Adrian at Belle vue) is working on some new "web streaming" idea which was mentioned at some point in Speedway Star, not sure how advanced that is though.

A lot of tracks struggle to run an actual meeting properly... there's no way they're going to be able to handle all this new fangled streaming stuff!

26 minutes ago, iainb said:

A lot of tracks struggle to run an actual meeting properly... there's no way they're going to be able to handle all this new fangled streaming stuff!

I agree, I'm staggered by how many can't even handle technology to accept Card payments, even major (relative to Speedway) stadia like Monmore Green.

• Like 1

Edinburgh home matches can be viewed live for a tenner

As long as your outside a 50 mile radius.

Edited by penchev

Live streaming will be the final nail in the coffin for a lot of teams and in turn a lot of stadiums.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Odds On said:

Live streaming will be the final nail in the coffin for a lot of teams and in turn a lot of stadiums.

Not if done with control...

As previously mentioned it isn't a huge expensive step IT wise to only allow streaming to be watched outside a certain area..

BV v Swindon the other night with a 30 mile radius block would have meant minimal crowd loss and a good fair few fans from both teams (and neutrals) paying to watch I would suggest..

5000 watching around the country at say £5 is twenty five grand the Sport wouldn't have had..

Agree the split between track and whoever is filming as surely its a better return for those who film it than currently is delivered through DVD sales?

Eg A 20/80 split of £25k would mean £5k to the producer and £20k to the club...

And the beauty of the purchases will be you have access to email details,  names, addresses etc so you can target them for more offers should their usage of your service drop, and also advertise "big matches" coming up which you think they may be interested in as a 'neutral'  directly to them...

What's that phrase? A 'game changer'?

It certainly could be for Speedway..

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Not if done with control...As previously mentioned it isn't a huge expensive step IT wise toonly allow streaming to be 5000 watching around the country at say £5 is twenty five grand the Sport wouldn't have had..

Did you key in a 0 too many in your viewing estimate?

10 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Not if done with control...

As previously mentioned it isn't a huge expensive step IT wise to only allow streaming to be watched outside a certain area..

BV v Swindon the other night with a 30 mile radius block would have meant minimal crowd loss and a good fair few fans from both teams (and neutrals) paying to watch I would suggest..

5000 watching around the country at say £5 is twenty five grand the Sport wouldn't have had..

Agree the split between track and whoever is filming as surely its a better return for those who film it than currently is delivered through DVD sales?

Eg A 20/80 split of £25k would mean £5k to the producer and £20k to the club...

And the beauty of the purchases will be you have access to email details,  names, addresses etc so you can target them for more offers should their usage of your service drop, and also advertise "big matches" coming up which you think they may be interested in as a 'neutral'  directly to them...

What's that phrase? A 'game changer'?

It certainly could be for Speedway..

I'm led to believe the "blocking" of a 30 mile radius is down to where the payment address of the card/holder used to pay.

5000 sounds rather optimistic but applauded if correct..

For every £5 spent that could mean anything from one person watching to a ten or more,  so basing this on 3 people watching at home at £5 income for the streamer and loss on the gate of £45(ave £15), times that by 5000 streams that's a loss of gate income of £225,000...all theory and ifs and buts!....then add the loss of income for the stadium owners of X amount on food and beverages, it will not take the owners of the stadiums to realise they are losing money on speedway meetings and in turn the rent will increase, catch 22 situation.

I would say that 90% of league speedway meetings in the UK that are shown live on Tv have vastly depleted crowds, whilst I agree that live streaming would mean an additional income , it certainly has a knock on effect with any fundraising that clubs carry out on a race night and the stadiums owners.

44 minutes ago, gustix said:

Did you key in a 0 too many in your viewing estimate?

Nearly 2000 were following the BV and Swindon match on Speedway Updates site on Monday so possibly many more would be persuaded to watch something more than names and numbers changing on a screen?

20 -30k watch the domestic BT coverage whichever teams are on so many won't be followers of the teams, but the sport itself..

Sky used to get 80k upwards not long ago for domestic Speedway so there is an 'armchair' market out there..

Edited by mikebv

59 minutes ago, Odds On said:

I'm led to believe the "blocking" of a 30 mile radius is down to where the payment address of the card/holder used to pay.

5000 sounds rather optimistic but applauded if correct..

For every £5 spent that could mean anything from one person watching to a ten or more,  so basing this on 3 people watching at home at £5 income for the streamer and loss on the gate of £45(ave £15), times that by 5000 streams that's a loss of gate income of £225,000...all theory and ifs and buts!....then add the loss of income for the stadium owners of X amount on food and beverages, it will not take the owners of the stadiums to realise they are losing money on speedway meetings and in turn the rent will increase, catch 22 situation.

I would say that 90% of league speedway meetings in the UK that are shown live on Tv have vastly depleted crowds, whilst I agree that live streaming would mean an additional income , it certainly has a knock on effect with any fundraising that clubs carry out on a race night and the stadiums owners.

You are using the promoters calculation of "how much will I be losing if I give free tickets away"? You would be truly amazed at what one promoter told me he thought the impact would be if he tried it..:rolleyes:

The truth then, as now, would be 'very minimal', as these people simply don't attend now, so hardly any tangible loss of revenue..

Most fans come from I would say, at most, a 20 mile radius, and as these fans still attend after years of various cobbled together, Mickey Mouse meetings put out in front of them, they truly are proper 'die hards'..

So they will be there anyway, week in week out...

It's the ones that are not but still retain an interest in the sport as a spectacle that you hope to attract by streaming, and who knows, it may attract one or two to actually attend a meeting in person from time to time..?

Edited by mikebv

54 minutes ago, mikebv said:

You are using the promoters calculation of "how much will I be losing if I give free tickets away"? You would be truly amazed at what one promoter told me he thought the impact would be if he tried it..:rolleyes:

The truth then, as now, would be 'very minimal', as these people simply don't attend now, so hardly any tangible loss of revenue..

Most fans come from I would say, at most, a 20 mile radius, and as these fans still attend after years of various cobbled together, Mickey Mouse meetings put out in front of them, they truly are proper 'die hards'..

So they will be there anyway, week in week out...

It's the ones that are not but still retain an interest in the sport as a spectacle that you hope to attract by streaming, and who knows, it may attract one or two to actually attend a meeting in person from time to time..?

a very colourful picture and outlook you paint but all that glitters isn't gold!...a major hurdle amongst many others in this is the loss of secondary spend income to Stadium/Track owners who don't own the speedway teams racing out of the stadium, can't imagine the likes of Wolverhampton(Ladbrokes) etc not increasing rent once crowds dwindle, which obviously they will do.

• Thanks 1

Tbh the sports going to be dead soon so why not try something different

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Odds On said:

Most of the nails in the coffin lid have been hammered down by Chapman & Godfrey already.

6 hours ago, HGould said:

I agree, I'm staggered by how many can't even handle technology to accept Card payments, even major (relative to Speedway) stadia like Monmore Green.

I will go with that. As a programme collector i try to get 1 from each Club in all 3 leagues every season. Because of not being able to pay by card it makes it even harder. The Sport does need to be on a major channel so that people can stumble across it. Us(the fans now) would make sure we subscribe to whichever it is on. I have said before i reckon it will end up on Premier.