British Speedway Forum

5 hours ago, auntie doris said:

But most homes don't have BT Sport. They had a bigger audience on Sky. So less than 50000 watch on tv?

I've attended 2 Swindon matches this week, neither on tele, good crowds and good racing, in good weather. Was VFM. And thrashing the top 2 Poole and Ipswich made it more enjoyable!

I certainly don't!

3 hours ago, racerback said:

got to love all the replys about having no tv coverage how about us people that work odd hours and cant get to live matches as often as we would like or the fan thats house bound through injury or illness we apprieciate tv coverage as it keeps our interest in the sport alive i hope it can stay on bt for a long time to come 

That's fair comment...but some that are near a track can make it and can afford it. Sky used to have 150000 viewers, so 100000 more than BT. Some terrestrial tv coverage would be good. I live 2 miles from the Abbey but cant afford 3 matches in 8 days.

Edited by auntie doris

3 hours ago, flagrag said:

I really do hope that the BSPA see sense and do not allow Eurosport to get the British Speedway broadcast rights as it will be a budget production gone will be your UHD coverage with multiple camera angles they will look at doing a more remote production with around 4 cameras and commentary done from London to save costs.

As much as it pains me to say it but BT sport have done a good job in broadcasting Speedway since taking over with new innovation and fresh sense of broadcasting  

Interesting, when the multi platform sports broadcasters need to fill Summer airtime they turn to the live minority sports instead of utilising tertiary rights to fill the schedules. Eurosport Events who are bidding are backed by Discovery/Disney and as you are aware are not a secondary or tertiary rights outlet like UK Eurosport consequently I expect a big enough budget to retain the current production team although I agree 4K would be history.

If I was in a position to influence this in any way I'd stick with BT who are steadily building their audience from a co-funded fragile start just like Sky and the BSPA did the difference is that BT are offering fees that are relative to what Speedway can deliver and not creating 9 or 10 shopkeepers who think they have won the lottery so that they can go out and blow it on the equivalent of Rickardsson, Gollob, Adams, Hancock, Crump, Wiltshire, Pedersen etc. £120,000 a club of Sky money bred complacency and avarice whereas £20,000 (est) of BT money now plugs a bit of a hole but nobody goes out and gets pizzed on it.

Yes everybody you read that right, the BSPA and TR covered the broadcast costs in the early days for Sky and I don't believe either have ever had the credit for that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flagrag said:

I really do hope that the BSPA see sense and do not allow Eurosport to get the British Speedway broadcast rights as it will be a budget production gone will be your UHD coverage with multiple camera angles they will look at doing a more remote production with around 4 cameras and commentary done from London to save costs.

As much as it pains me to say it but BT sport have done a good job in broadcasting Speedway since taking over with new innovation and fresh sense of broadcasting  

No way if Eurosport start covering UK domestic speedway will the commentary be done from Feltham.It will be from the tracks. Eurosport have not been concerned about Flying Dave Rowe and Sam Ermolenko to the 3 World U21 championship rounds and the 4 SEC rounds this season, even though they have not broadcast them all live in the UK.

On 8/26/2019 at 9:56 PM, craigACE said:

Seriously i wonder if it is because Natalie would have been at the Solihull match. I think. I have recorded that but not watched it yet. I was watching Inter Milan instead. If that was the case there would have been nobody to present it. I am not sure tbh.

The BT speedway fixtures were decided months ago before previous football season had even finished.

5 hours ago, flagrag said:

I agree, I find they are the same with many sports they cover.  Freesports (Premier Sports) or whoever don't do a bad job with the Swedish coverage.

Edited by Buttons

Not done such a good with Ladies tennis as the US Grand Slam is not being shown on BT although all the WTA tournaments have been shown over the year

It is very interesting to get the various thoughts on this matter from the I don’t want any tv meetings group ,Then you have the Let’s stick with BT e.g I am happy with what I am getting now group , Then the Let’s see what Eurosport are prepared to offer & get rid of Pearson and Tatum  squad and  then finally the bring it back on Sky sports with Tony Millard and Jonathan Green & Suzi Perry this of course cant happen sadly.

It appears that this is not fully decided yet and the good thing for British Speedway is that there is a couple of offers available to the sport. I just hope that they are being advised by the correct people who know broadcasting.

My worry with Eurosport although pan Europe is that they are bidding on other rights as well so Speedway’s a filler in case can’t get anything better  and in 2020 they  will not want to know Speedway during July and August due to the Olympics which they already have to broadcast .

• Like 2

7 hours ago, flagrag said:

It is very interesting to get the various thoughts on this matter from the I don’t want any tv meetings group ,Then you have the Let’s stick with BT e.g I am happy with what I am getting now group , Then the Let’s see what Eurosport are prepared to offer & get rid of Pearson and Tatum  squad and  then finally the bring it back on Sky sports with Tony Millard and Jonathan Green & Suzi Perry this of course cant happen sadly.

It appears that this is not fully decided yet and the good thing for British Speedway is that there is a couple of offers available to the sport. I just hope that they are being advised by the correct people who know broadcasting.

My worry with Eurosport although pan Europe is that they are bidding on other rights as well so Speedway’s a filler in case can’t get anything better  and in 2020 they  will not want to know Speedway during July and August due to the Olympics which they already have to broadcast .

BUT, of course, they sell on the TV rights to the Olympics so that, in England for example, they will still be seen on BBC. Discovery, owners of Eurosport, are one of the major contenders for the commercial rights to the SGP series when the current contract with IMG expires at the end of the 2021 season. As far as British domestic speedway is concerned, it would appear that a new TV deal is in place.

15 hours ago, flagrag said:

I agree with the first bit, can't entirely agree with the second bit. Everything I've ever watched on Eurosport right back to its early days has generally been a bit of an amateurish joke, with programmes just ending mid event etc. As for the BT coverage, while glad to have it, to be able to watch matches there's no way I'd be able to get to, the coverage, in my opinion is far inferior to that which Sky provided. I understand it's probably budget related but I can't see anything innovative about it... except probably for the first time it's presented by somebody who's actually knowledgeable about the sport. Sky were really quite innovative with their coverage from the ride-in studio, to mole cam, bike cam and rail cam. BT's coverage if anything is a stripped back to basics (low cost) style.

11 hours ago, racers and royals said:

No way if Eurosport start covering UK domestic speedway will the commentary be done from Feltham.It will be from the tracks. Eurosport have not been concerned about Flying Dave Rowe and Sam Ermolenko to the 3 World U21 championship rounds and the 4 SEC rounds this season, even though they have not broadcast them all live in the UK.

I suspect OneSport cover the costs of flying the commentators out to events to provide an English commentary on the "world feed"

Edited by iainb

Philiprising- Eurosport will be showing the Olympics in the UK in 2020 it’s only because of the protected rights legislation here that they have to allow a free to air broadcaster share the coverage.

They also have a number of high profile snooker tournaments during the summer and as I previously indicated like with the SGP and British Speedway they are chasing after other rights some a lot bigger than Speedway including some football not UK but major European league as well as other high profile sports. So with just two channels my worry is that Speedway will get bumped on a regular occasion and viewers will end up with recorded replay.

We shall have to see how it all works out the main thing is keeping the sport on British TV for fans and sponsors 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, iainb said:

I agree with the first bit, can't entirely agree with the second bit. Everything I've ever watched on Eurosport right back to its early days has generally been a bit of an amateurish joke, with programmes just ending mid event etc. As for the BT coverage, while glad to have it, to be able to watch matches there's no way I'd be able to get to, the coverage, in my opinion is far inferior to that which Sky provided. I understand it's probably budget related but I can't see anything innovative about it... except probably for the first time it's presented by somebody who's actually knowledgeable about the sport. Sky were really quite innovative with their coverage from the ride-in studio, to mole cam, bike cam and rail cam. BT's coverage if anything is a stripped back to basics (low cost) style.

I suspect OneSport cover the costs of flying the commentators out to events to provide an English commentary on the "world feed"

I thought that but it’s definitely not it is Eurosport.

Onesport did when Eleven Sports were showing the U21’s in Poland and Onesport very kindly provided the you tube screening with English commentary.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

I thought that but it’s definitely not it is Eurosport.

Onesport did when Eleven Sports were showing the U21’s in Poland and Onesport very kindly provided the you tube screening with English commentary.

you'd think they'd get a co-commentator that wasn't verbally dyslexic then :rofl:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, iainb said:

I don't think Kelvin has ever recovered from them getting rid of Moley :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Cheese said:

I don't think Kelvin has ever recovered from them getting rid of Moley :D

He killed it when using his dirtometer

• Haha 2