British Speedway Forum

I think NQ is OK, Tatum is very knowledgeable and has become good at the job and paired with Nigel Pearson they are a great team. Seems like I'm the odd one out but I like Pearson, he is enthusiastic and knows the sport and is far better than anybody else currently commentating Speedway in my opinion.

The only one I really don't like on TV is Sam Ermolenko who can ruin a meeting for me.

The best sport on TV recently has been Bristish Superbikes and that is on Eurosport so could be they'll do a decent job. No idea who films BSB but it must be expensive as the quality is excellent and they don't miss much.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Vince said:

I think NQ is OK, Tatum is very knowledgeable and has become good at the job and paired with Nigel Pearson they are a great team. Seems like I'm the odd one out but I like Pearson, he is enthusiastic and knows the sport and is far better than anybody else currently commentating Speedway in my opinion.

YOU may be the only one on here, although I doubt it, but Nigel is very highly rated at BT, Sky, BSI, Talksport, etc. Natalie does a good job because she knows her subject. During my time at the SGPs the likes of Charlie Webster and now Kiri didn't have a clue. But why does it have to be a female, and I am certainly not being sexist. Chris Louis and Brando are far better because they can talk the lingo to the riders.

• Like 5

Kelvin has improved no end and I do like his knowledgeable commentary. I don't believe NP has improved at the same rate and just comes across now as somewhat repetitive "Yes, very much so"!!

As for the GPs I agree there should be another studio 'expert' so its not just the Scotty shirt show! (NB. I did say shirt!)

The GP qualifier programme and rider position selection process needs a revamp especially with Kiri asking each rider 'So why did you choose number ??'

Pointless.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

Nigel does a good job in delivering an image of a fast, high octane, adrenaline rush sport..

Talking low and slow won't help that image...

Lots of things are simply not fit for purpose in UK Speedway..

I would suggest Nigel and Kelvin are not one of them...

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Vince said:

The only one I really don't like on TV is Sam Ermolenko who can ruin a meeting for me.

The best sport on TV recently has been Bristish Superbikes and that is on Eurosport so could be they'll do a decent job. No idea who films BSB but it must be expensive as the quality is excellent and they don't miss much.

Eurosport maybe ok as long as they get the right commentators, I remember Keith Hewin  from Superbikes (I think) in the studio when it was with Sky, he was poor, it needs to be someone connected with Speedway.

3 minutes ago, Buttons said:

Eurosport maybe ok as long as they get the right commentators, I remember Keith Hewin  from Superbikes (I think) in the studio when it was with Sky, he was poor, it needs to be someone connected with Speedway.

YOU would get very long odds on it not being KT and NP. As previously stated, very highly rated within the industry.

Nothing too much wrong with Tatum and Person IMO. Natalie Q is ok too. I would like to see another in the studio alongside Scotty, but naturally that puts the cost up.

I think Kelvin does a good job.  Theres not much Kiri can ask the riders I think shes ok. For me Pearson is too biased,  you can 

tell by his commentary which riders he favours most.   

Edited by Dornier fixer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

GP qualifier programme and rider position selection process needs a revamp especially with Kiri asking each rider 'So why did you choose number ??'

Pointless.

If they going to have a qualifier that leads to riders choosing their riding number then it’s obvious (to me) the interest to viewers is Why did a rider choose a certain number, so I don’t agree the question is pointless, even if she asks the same question to the first 5 or 6 riders.

50 minutes ago, Buttons said:

I like Keith Heuwen as well, think he's well informed and quite funny. Pair him up with an ex rider and he'd be ok.

• Like 1

and there we have it, Buttons doesnt like Keith Heuwen as a commentator, but Vince thinks he would be ok.  People have different personalities, someone could be a very nice person but his/her personality can rub us up the wrong way, whereas another person we accept no problem. Such is life. With speedway, we could just use the remote to turn the sound down a bit (or off), but that may spoil the pleasure of hearing speedway bikes roaring...... so just have to put up with it.sound

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 3:43 PM, ArthurRudge said:

Natalie Quirke's hair looks fkn awful who advises her on it

Looks good tonight :D

• Haha 2

If tv companies are not prepared to put their hands in their pocket and pay a fair price, then the BSPA should say no thanks and get a streaming service up and running during this winter.

Wasn’t an away meeting streamed for the Somerset fans in the last few days? I recall a Debbie Hancock saying it went very well. The fans were charged £10 a head and it went flawlessly. Think it was streamed to the Oak Tree Arena clubhouse. Perhaps Somerset fans can comment on it.

If the stream goes to only one place for fans to attend it would very very limiting. Fans would want to watch from the comfort of their own sofa. Pay a tenner, open a beer and watch your team away from home. Not difficult to achieve and revenues could be large. 1000 fans is £10,000 which wouldn’t have been there. A 30 mile ban around the home track to not affect home attendance. IP monitoring (very easy) so that a stream is not shared. Block international customers to make sure one doesn’t live stream it on Youtube.

Far better than giving it to Eurosport IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

If tv companies are not prepared to put their hands in their pocket and pay a fair price, then the BSPA should say no thanks and get a streaming service up and running during this winter.

Wasn’t an away meeting streamed for the Somerset fans in the last few days? I recall a Debbie Hancock saying it went very well. The fans were charged £10 a head and it went flawlessly. Think it was streamed to the Oak Tree Arena clubhouse. Perhaps Somerset fans can comment on it.

If the stream goes to only one place for fans to attend it would very very limiting. Fans would want to watch from the comfort of their own sofa. Pay a tenner, open a beer and watch your team away from home. Not difficult to achieve and revenues could be large. 1000 fans is £10,000 which wouldn’t have been there. A 30 mile ban around the home track to not affect home attendance. IP monitoring (very easy) so that a stream is not shared. Block international customers to make sure one doesn’t live stream it on Youtube.

£10 a match for British speedway !!!! ridiculous price- i pay under £1 a match to watch every Swedish elite league match.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

But why should they pay for such a Mickey Mouse product over here the BSPA have done nothing to improve it since anyone started screening it just continued to plow it further into the ground also crap promoting and empty stadiums just because the sport is in trouble over here people are expecting the TV to subsidise it forget it!

• Like 1