British Speedway Forum

Bet 365 used to stream the matches didn't they?

Therefore maybe getting a betting company involved will help with production costs through sponsorship of the whole process?

Link say a £10 access charge with a free bet on the match, winnings paid as they usually do in other free bets by another free bet which this time could generate cash winnings..

Maybe the bet could be on the  +/- handicap team score?

(Or how many guests will be riding)?:D

And as always, as they do with free bets, it will be seen as their investment/ hook to get you chasing the dream long term.

A decent big name in the betting industry aligned to the sport will help the sports brand reputation standing too.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:57 AM, Vince said:

I think NQ is OK, Tatum is very knowledgeable and has become good at the job and paired with Nigel Pearson they are a great team. Seems like I'm the odd one out but I like Pearson, he is enthusiastic and knows the sport and is far better than anybody else currently commentating Speedway in my opinion.

The only one I really don't like on TV is Sam Ermolenko who can ruin a meeting for me.

The best sport on TV recently has been Bristish Superbikes and that is on Eurosport so could be they'll do a decent job. No idea who films BSB but it must be expensive as the quality is excellent and they don't miss much.

Just shows how much it's all about opinions. NP really spoils my enjoyment of a speedway meeting, I'm not sure I've heard a poorer sports commentator but I'm happy to accept I'm in the minority. Tatum's so so but very repetitive, I do quite like Scott Nicholls, or Scotty to give him his correct name lol, and NQ isn't bad. I also think Steve Brandon does a fair job pit side, but guess it will be mostly irrelevant next year?

9 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The English Football League have a system called ifollow. https://www.efl.com/iFollow

Choose your team, choose the match, then pay £2.50 for a audio stream or £10 for a video stream. 

Speedway could easily follow this format and make far more money that BT pay for the privilege. It’s clear being on TV doesn’t increase attendances, whether the cameras are there or not.

Streaming with local geoblocking is the way to go. A 2 camera setup needs three people at a meeting. Very easy to do.

Interesting - 3 people - obviously two camera people. what does the 3rd person do?

What would be a ball park figure for the wages/set up costs for the 3-person team at a match. Per match, just to give us an idea of how many subscribers would be needed to break even/make a profit?

Edited by Richard Weston
Added another question

4 hours ago, mikebv said:

Bet 365 used to stream the matches didn't they?

Therefore maybe getting a betting company involved will help with production costs through sponsorship of the whole process?

Link say a £10 access charge with a free bet on the match, winnings paid as they usually do in other free bets by another free bet which this time could generate cash winnings..

Maybe the bet could be on the  +/- handicap team score?

(Or how many guests will be riding)?:D

And as always, as they do with free bets, it will be seen as their investment/ hook to get you chasing the dream long term.

A decent big name in the betting industry aligned to the sport will help the sports brand reputation standing too.

Bet365 had one camera - not sure if the stuff they did was worth even £5

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Bet365 had one camera - not sure if the stuff they did was worth even £5

No pint doing xenophobia camera transmission. Wherever you position that one camera it will be too far away from over 50% of the action. I would not be paying £10 for a one camera viewing. They got to get it right or not bother at all.

48 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Interesting - 3 people - obviously two camera people. what does the 3rd person do?

What would be a ball park figure for the wages/set up costs for the 3-person team at a match. Per match, just to give us an idea of how many subscribers would be needed to break even/make a profit?

Mixing desk and making sure feed is working.  

However, It looks like Eurosport with 8 team league next season. 

49 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

EUROSPORT are now owned by Discovery who are hoovering up major sporting events everywhere and behind one of the bids for the SGP from 2022

3 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Thank you.

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

EUROSPORT are now owned by Discovery who are hoovering up major sporting events everywhere and behind one of the bids for the SGP from 2022

More competition for Sky & BT is always good. Eurosport is more of a free channel so more people will be able to watch without the high monthly charges of Sky Sports & BT Sports.

Edited by Pirates Of Poole
  • Like 2

To answer some of the questions about streaming Speedway from tracks when Bet 365 did the meetings each one was costing them over £500 per meeting and cost over £2,500 per track to setup. The I Follow system that is in place for football league cost over £30,000 per club to setup Some of the old Speedway infrastructure is still in place but has been taken out of some stadiums and is not really up to standard now.

The rollout of 5G mobile networks over the next few years will really bring down the cost of remote production and enable smaller sports more options with streaming.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, flagrag said:

To answer some of the questions about streaming Speedway from tracks when Bet 365 did the meetings each one was costing them over £500 per meeting and cost over £2,500 per track to setup. The I Follow system that is in place for football league cost over £30,000 per club to setup Some of the old Speedway infrastructure is still in place but has been taken out of some stadiums and is not really up to standard now.

The rollout of 5G mobile networks over the next few years will really bring down the cost of remote production and enable smaller sports more options with streaming.

In the 5 year deal I hope there is a clause that allows clubs to live feed, obviously not when Eurosport are at the stadium. 

We were restricted with the Sky deal as they would not allow any live streaming.

God help us if Eurosport get hold of the rights, they are and always have been a joke. I missed the WU21 earlier in the year as I didn't realise it was on Eurosport, they showed a 1 hour "highlights" show of that event prior to the live event last weekend, I thought I'd watch that as I'd missed it first time around... all they did was show it as live from 1 hour before it finished, consequently they joined it for heat 19, 20, the 2 semi's and final, zero effort went into producing a proper highlights show. I know beggars can't be choosers but sometimes going with the highest bidder isn't always the best option.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

but sometimes going with the highest bidder isn't always the best option.

It is likely the case of going with the only bidder at this point...

3 minutes ago, Method said:

It is likely the case of going with the only bidder at this point...

if that's the case then fair enough... but we're always being told that whoever is showing the Speedway is generally happy with the viewing figures

Method From what I have been told by colleagues at  BT they were very interested in keeping British Speedway but Eurosport put in a higher bid and could offer pan Europe coverage which the BSPA liked as they hope to attract some Polish sponsors  as well.

I just hope that everyone realises where Speedway sits in Eurosport priorities well down the list behind Cycling,Tennis,Athletics,Football,Swimming ,Snooker and Olympics also they only have two channels to show it on so will be interesting to see their scheduling

Edited by flagrag
  • Like 2