British Speedway Forum

Eurosport do have more than the 2 main sports channels to utilise if required - free to air on Freeview too!!

7 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Polish sponsors for British speedway..... that would be interesting to see how it develops.

Steradentski?

Polygripski? 

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Eurosport haven't got the SGPs.

Not yet. Philip Rising has already suggested that they are serious contenders to relieve BT Sport of the contract a year early. I did say "prospect in future years" I had hoped that would be clear enough. Obviously I overestimated my south coast audience ;-)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Eurosport do have more than the 2 main sports channels to utilise if required - free to air on Freeview too!!

Where? Eurosport's main channels aren't even on Freeview! There seems to be widely-held fallacy that Eurosport in the UK is a free service, It isn't. Its channels however are included in most basic level pay-TV services offered by Sky and BT rather than premium services but they are most definitely not free to air or free to view. As for them being on Freeview! - That's the best one I've heard in ages. I'd suggest you're a bit out of your depth on this one. Stick to making excuses for Poole. 

They have Quest as a very occasional back-up but apart from EFL highlights it's very rarely used for sport. I've just checked their schedule until October 5th. Only sport is EFL football. 

Their only spare channels, apart from temporary ones set up for major tournaments such as the Olympics are those that are carried on their separate subscription Eurosport Player. 

Anyway, can I please have a list of these alleged channels and their epg numbers please? You can stick to Freeview and Sky. I know they're not on Virgin or Freesat. 

The only other normal broadcast Eurosport  channel is Eurosport News but it is not operational in Britain. 

Anyway, if taking part in a discussion about a subject I actually know something about means having to fight off the ignorance of Skidder it's best if I leave you to the childish bun fights and head back to the sanity of the international section. Sometimes it really isn't worth it. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since I got access to BT Sport channels, I have to say that I enjoy watching British speedway, even though they broadcast very few meetings. When/if the new deal is in place, I truly hope that they will cover all of the meetings in the Premiership. 

From what I understand Eurosport will have worldwide rights to British Speedway so will broadcast it on their channels across Europe. Hence why some Polish sponsors are interested in Sponsorship as can guarantee to get your  company name on a Poole or Kings Lynn racesuit or an advertising banner on the track would be a lot cheaper than you would pay at Leszno or Wroclaw for the same thing. 

2020 does seem a strange year for Eurosport to take on Speedway as they have a busy summer of sports rights with it being an Olympic Year and I know they are still bidding on other rights including some European football 

15 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Where? Eurosport's main channels aren't even on Freeview! There seems to be widely-held fallacy that Eurosport in the UK is a free service, It isn't. Its channels however are included in most basic level pay-TV services offered by Sky and BT rather than premium services but they are most definitely not free to air or free to view. As for them being on Freeview! - That's the best one I've heard in ages. I'd suggest you're a bit out of your depth on this one. Stick to making excuses for Poole. 

They have Quest as a very occasional back-up but apart from EFL highlights it's very rarely used for sport. I've just checked their schedule until October 5th. Only sport is EFL football. 

Their only spare channels, apart from temporary ones set up for major tournaments such as the Olympics are those that are carried on their separate subscription Eurosport Player. 

Anyway, can I please have a list of these alleged channels and their epg numbers please? You can stick to Freeview and Sky. I know they're not on Virgin or Freesat. 

The only other normal broadcast Eurosport  channel is Eurosport News but it is not operational in Britain. 

Anyway, if taking part in a discussion about a subject I actually know something about means having to fight off the ignorance of Skidder it's best if I leave you to the childish bun fights and head back to the sanity of the international section. Sometimes it really isn't worth it. 

If you bothered to actually read what I wrote rather than getting into yet another 'I know better then you' strop, I never stated that Eurosport was on Freeview !  I stated that Eurosport (or the Discovery group if you prefer) have other channels that are available on Freeview for example Quest and Quest Red, which have previously been utilised to show sports including speedway and other motor sport. I really don't know how that amounts to ignorance - merely stating a fact - something that someone such as yourself claims 'to know something about'!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

If you bothered to actually read what I wrote rather than getting into yet another 'I know better then you' strop, I never stated that Eurosport was on Freeview !  I stated that Eurosport (or the Discovery group if you prefer) have other channels that are available on Freeview for example Quest and Quest Red, which have previously been utilised to show sports including speedway and other motor sport. I really don't know how that amounts to ignorance - merely stating a fact - something that someone such as yourself claims 'to know something about'!

You are quite right in that Quest and Quest Red are both owned by Discovery Inc. Although I can't find any record of Quest Red ever showing sport, Quest have shown Superbikes, MotoGP, Formula E, Le Mans, Darts, Snooker, Football etc either live or highlights. 

Always thought Eurosport was available on Freeview, but as I don't use it I may be wrong. Certainly Quest is available on Virgin, not sure about Quest Red.

18 minutes ago, HertsRacer said:

You are quite right in that Quest and Quest Red are both owned by Discovery Inc. Although I can't find any record of Quest Red ever showing sport, Quest have shown Superbikes, MotoGP, Formula E, Le Mans, Darts, Snooker, Football etc either live or highlights. 

Always thought Eurosport was available on Freeview, but as I don't use it I may be wrong. Certainly Quest is available on Virgin, not sure about Quest Red.

I have Quest and Quest Red on Freeview (which is built into my TV). Both are also on Virgin (215 and 217) which I also have. My point was and is that whether they have shown sport in the past - and I agree Quest certainly has, including speedway (possibly one of the Euro rounds?) then it provides a further option for Eurosport if and when there are clashes of sports that they also pay for.

Edited by Skidder1

15 hours ago, flagrag said:

From what I understand Eurosport will have worldwide rights to British Speedway so will broadcast it on their channels across Europe. Hence why some Polish sponsors are interested in Sponsorship as can guarantee to get your  company name on a Poole or Kings Lynn racesuit or an advertising banner on the track would be a lot cheaper than you would pay at Leszno or Wroclaw for the same thing. 

2020 does seem a strange year for Eurosport to take on Speedway as they have a busy summer of sports rights with it being an Olympic Year and I know they are still bidding on other rights including some European football 

Phew.... 

I have just cancelled all BT products including Sport from November (along with landline and broadband to use 4G/5G for internet instead, cheaper and faster in my rural area).  Not sure what I will do about SGP if they are on BT still.

Off topic, but this season I have found BT Sport's football coverage (via Sky box) poor quality visually, almost blurred players (compared to Sky football). Anybody else finding? 

1 minute ago, TheReturn said:

Phew.... 

I have just cancelled all BT products including Sport from November (along with landline and broadband to use 4G/5G for internet instead, cheaper and faster in my rural area).  Not sure what I will do about SGP if they are on BT still.

Off topic, but this season I have found BT Sport's football coverage (via Sky box) poor quality visually, almost blurred players (compared to Sky football). Anybody else finding? 

BT Sports football - indeed all their sport - is in HD and some in HD Ultra via the Virgin platform. I find it much better than Sky's standard package SD sports channels.

3 hours ago, TheReturn said:

Not sure what I will do about SGP if they are on BT still.

Get VPN and watch from the SGP website

• Like 2

I have BT sport for £5 with being a EE mobile customer and can cancel anytime.I just normally chromecast to television and had no problems.

• Like 1