British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

YOU are assuming it will be on a Eurosport channel...

I was actually thinking it might be on " British Speedway you are " History channel or the "Mickey mouse" Disney channel ;)

• Like 1

if domestic speedway is to be shown then surely it would make sense to have a highlights show instead of live. 

with all the moaning and compaints about the live meetings it has to be better to compile the best races from various meetings and show what the sport CAN offer, rather than letting people sit through 2 hours of boredom.

if that encourages people to go watch a live meeting there is always the chance they will stay as regulars, any sport is better live

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, stevehone said:

if domestic speedway is to be shown then surely it would make sense to have a highlights show instead of live. 

with all the moaning and compaints about the live meetings it has to be better to compile the best races from various meetings and show what the sport CAN offer, rather than letting people sit through 2 hours of boredom.

if that encourages people to go watch a live meeting there is always the chance they will stay as regulars, any sport is better live

I've always advocated same.

• Like 1

Wouldn't a highlights show require broadcast quality cameras at every track, therefore substantially increasing the cost?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I've always advocated same.

So have I - live speedway only keeps spectators away

• Like 1

Just now, Midland Red said:

So have I - live speedway only keeps spectators away

When there was a live meeting televised at Cowley my mate preferred to watch from home although the track was only half a mile away.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:35 AM, waytogo28 said:

Agree completely IF and it's a big if, the quality of racing can be greatly improved, Only that will take me ( and I supsect 1,000s of others ) back on the terraces on a regular basis. Now you get, on average 2 - 3 real races in a match and that needs to get up taround 50% of heats to be VFM and offer true racing.

In reality can't see how the quality of the racing can be improved ? Most clubs don't own their stadium, cant reshape their track, shale will stay the same, bikes will stay the same .Unfortunately  We have what we have and its probably here to stay,  that doesn't bode well for the future and the slow decline / death will probably continue as it is.

1 hour ago, iwright71 said:

In reality can't see how the quality of the racing can be improved ? Most clubs don't own their stadium, cant reshape their track, shale will stay the same, bikes will stay the same .Unfortunately  We have what we have and its probably here to stay,  that doesn't bode well for the future and the slow decline / death will probably continue as it is.

I think the racing isnt as good since clay was put on tracks  go back to shale only 

• Like 4

On 10/19/2019 at 2:39 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

THE rights are being purchased by Discovery who have various options where to show it...

As has been said by many before and proved right, I don’t think it matters who shows it...(certainly not on some obscure network)...live tv coverage is not the answer and will not be good for clubs or improve the sport unless tv companies are paying a substantial fee in excess of £1.5m...and then plus a huge amount of money invested in stadiums and presentation and sadly that will not happen. Whoever thinks just being on tv will save speedway is deluded. It hasn’t worked before and all the signs are it won’t work again. The hard fact is the combined losses of uk speedway clubs must be running into millions of pounds. 

• Like 2

I haven't watched hardly any league racing in BT this season to be fair so cannot comment too much on the quality.. I would imagine that the same production team would be used for the Eurosport coverage so there would be no better or worse coverage of the actual meeting.. 

Eurosport as a whole though is a fine channel.. I can only assume those criticising it haven't watched too much of it lately because its tons better than the channel it used to be and would be a fine home for British speedway although Eurosport do hold rights for some things and sub contract out elsewhere 

Edited by Trotter65
  • Like 2

On 10/19/2019 at 2:39 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

THE rights are being purchased by Discovery who have various options where to show it...

It was good when they had it before and showed the GPs on Quest, even though it was a week later as a lot more people have Quest than Eurosport and the tv company gets two channels showing it.  They could do the same with coverage of British Speedway, even a next day repeat, as those not bothered about it being live could enjoy it.  The important point is that a repeat on Quest increases the numbers who might watch it and then go to a local live meeting. 

6 minutes ago, Trotter65 said:

I haven't watched hardly any league racing in BT this season to be fair so cannot comment too much on the quality.. I would imagine that the same production team would be used for the Eurosport coverage so there would be no better or worse coverage of the actual meeting.. 

Eurosport as a whole though is a fine channel.. I can only assume those criticising it haven't watched too much of it lately because its tons better than the channel it used to be and would be a fine home for British speedway although Eurosport do hold rights for some things and sub contract out elsewhere 

Same here, have only watched meetings where Swindon were racing and a couple of GPs, and from the points posted have not missed many decent meetings.  Previously I used to watch nearly every meeting.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Trotter65 said:

I have watched Eurosport recently, I watched the highlights of a SEC that I missed live... and their idea of highlights were to just show the last hour again as live, so from heat 17 or something. Eurosport always have been and still are a joke of a channel

1 hour ago, Trotter65 said:

NOT necessarily