British Speedway Forum

7 minutes ago, Shockster said:

I hope Dave Rowe keeps the commentating Gig for Eurosport.  However, Sudden Sam is not the answer as a co presenter.

Not for me. He sounds dull. Ermolenko is hopeless.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hodgy said:

Really hoped they would also take the GP’s, so I could cancel BT Sport. 

You can watch them live on the official YouTube channel for free, in HD, with no adverts at all.

1 hour ago, Hodgy said:

Really hoped they would also take the GP’s, so I could cancel BT Sport. 

This will depend on who gets the rights to the GPs - BSI or Discovery. Can't see the TV rights switching to Eurosport if BSI stay in control.

2 hours ago, CottonOn said:

So the news is now official.

A 5 year deal with Eurosports.

I would assume Pearson, Tatum, Quirk, Brandon etc will move with it, and the programme won't be much different?    Eurosports have already got a fair bit of other motorsports, so I guess we'll fit in OK with their regular fare.

I think the bg plus is that they're also opening up highlights to a free-to-air audience via Quest.    Presume the highlights will just be the live footage rebroadcast with the gaps in between races chopped out, but I'd like to think the possibility exists for Quest to actually turn it into a real highlights programme within the 5 years.      I've always thought a compact highlights programme would be a better way to present the sport to newbies.

No idea on the money (but then I had no idea on the money from Sky's latter years or BT's contract).  Hope there is money, or the chance to renegotiate, otherwise 2025 is a long time to wait for the next chance to do a deal.

Overall though I think this is positive news.  The BSPA now need to get their act together and not mess it up again.

Get rid of Quirke and Pearson please

Awful

David Rowe is not the answer though

Alex Raby ??? would be a massive improvement.

I mentioned that they should also show speedway on Quest so even though it will only be highlights a great move having this option on Quest and DMAX. One advantage of just highlights is not having to listen to Pearson and Tatum for too long. 

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

I mentioned that they should also show speedway on Quest so even though it will only be highlights a great move having this option on Quest and DMAX. One advantage of just highlights is not having to listen to Pearson and Tatum for too long. 

And another is it won't be rained off :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 9/17/2019 at 7:01 PM, RobMcCaffery said:

Where? Eurosport's main channels aren't even on Freeview! There seems to be widely-held fallacy that Eurosport in the UK is a free service, It isn't. Its channels however are included in most basic level pay-TV services offered by Sky and BT rather than premium services but they are most definitely not free to air or free to view. As for them being on Freeview! - That's the best one I've heard in ages. I'd suggest you're a bit out of your depth on this one. Stick to making excuses for Poole. 

They have Quest as a very occasional back-up but apart from EFL highlights it's very rarely used for sport. I've just checked their schedule until October 5th. Only sport is EFL football. 

Their only spare channels, apart from temporary ones set up for major tournaments such as the Olympics are those that are carried on their separate subscription Eurosport Player. 

Anyway, can I please have a list of these alleged channels and their epg numbers please? You can stick to Freeview and Sky. I know they're not on Virgin or Freesat. 

The only other normal broadcast Eurosport  channel is Eurosport News but it is not operational in Britain. 

Anyway, if taking part in a discussion about a subject I actually know something about means having to fight off the ignorance of Skidder it's best if I leave you to the childish bun fights and head back to the sanity of the international section. Sometimes it really isn't worth it. 

Oh dear!!!!:rofl::party::nono:

"Marry in haste, repent at leisure" Well, five years anyway. ;-) Time will tell. I hope it works but 30 years' experience of this network suggests otherwise. 

Oh and by the way Quest and DMAX are indeed on Freeview. They are not dedicated sport channels and will probably only be used for overspill when the Eurosport channels are full of their priority sports. They're minor players, as the EFL is finding out with their highlights package even if they are available to more homes than Eurosport. I suspect only the diehard fans will go looking for speedway there or stumble across without switching channels because the viewer is on Quest or DMAX for their normal non-sports programming. 

But then, what would I know eh? Experience in the industry plus study of it for fifty years counts nothing against loudmouthed speedway fans out to make cheap shots ;-)

Edited by RobMcCaffery

Just a quick follow-up with some facts.

The BARB audience share figures for certain stations were as follows in September.

Eurosport 1&2 combined   0.17

BT Sport 1-3+ESPN        0.58 - despite being premium channels they attract nearly four times as many viewers as the cheaper Eurosport.

It is only when Discovery's Freeview channels are involved that the switch looks in any way attractive:

Quest   0.91

DMAX 0.37

All are penny numbers in the overall TV market. For comparison here are the shares for the top public sector channels:

BBC 1     20.37

BBC 2       5.48

ITV          16.98

C4              6.00

C5              3.94

So even Quest fails to reach 99.09% of viewers. DMAX 99.63%, Eurosport fails to reach 99.83% of viewers. BT Sport fails to reach 99.42 %. 

Just to put this all hopefully into perspective. 

We'rev looking at tiny audiences even if small amount now ,may watch the sport for free on Freeview whenever it is used by Discovery. 

25 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

"Marry in haste, repent at leisure" Well, five years anyway. ;-) Time will tell. I hope it works but 30 years' experience of this network suggests otherwise. 

Oh and by the way Quest and DMAX are indeed on freeview. They are not dedicated sport channels and will probably only be used for overspill when the Eurosport channels are full of their priority sports. They're minor players, as the EFL is finding out with their highlights package even if they are available to more homes than Eurosport. I suspect only the diehard fans will go looking for speedway there or stumble across without switching channels because the viewer is on Quest or D-Max for their normal non-sports programming. 

But then, what would I know eh? Experience in the industry plus study of it for fifty years counts nothing against loudmouthed speedway fans out to make cheap shots ;-)

Why do you assume that you're the only one with experience in the industry and that anyone else with an opinion is a 'loudmouth speedway fan making cheap shots'?

It reflects far more on you than anyone else!!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Really ? you never said ..:rolleyes:

• Haha 5

It`s hardly going to be Speedway on every week is it ?? BT had 18 rounds- Eurosport have 18 rounds. Take out the British final and the play offs  and it`s likely to be about 12/14 matches of the regular season, or have i read that wrong ??

As I have said previously I do think this is a backwards step for British Speedway especially being tied into a 5yr deal.

Eurosport are a minor tv channel and Speedway will not get the dedication it got from BT and the coverage will not be as comprehensive.

I just hope that the money was so much better than what’s BTs final offer was otherwise an even worse decision.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DC2 said:

Don’t agree.

If they do for speedway what they’ve done for cycling they will be brilliant.

Highly unlikely... Cycling is a global sport, with at least one major global event happening every year for 3 weeks and millions participating worldwide... Speedway on the other hand, well I'll let you fill in the blanks... I do hope you're right though

3 minutes ago, flagrag said:

As I have said previously I do think this is a backwards step for British Speedway especially being tied into a 5yr deal.

Eurosport are a minor tv channel and Speedway will not get the dedication it got from BT and the coverage will not be as comprehensive.

I just hope that the money was so much better than what’s BTs final offer was otherwise an even worse decision.

You can only presume that there is significant money on the table to lock yourself in to five years..

Suggesting no other bidding war between TV companies is needed for the BSPA till 2025..

Or could there actually be a genuine "Five Year Plan" for the sport in conjunction with Eurosport's backing? A plan that actually exists, and has been agreed with the TV company?

Eurosport must have done its homework on the sport in the UK, so must be happy with what they see now, therefore maybe they too have a vision for the sports journey over the next five years...?

It's certainly a big investment in time and resources if nothing else for them over the next five years, which suggests confidence in the product..

• Like 2