British Speedway Forum

Hmmm, haven’t been impressed with Eurosport in the past for all the reasons already stated, patchy coverage and poor commentary.

I have had no problem with BT and thought they did a decent job, promoting UK speedway in the Speedway GP and Moto GP coverage.

Being pedantic, I see that the press release refers to “rounds”. When did league matches / fixtures become “rounds”? “Rounds” are for events when all competitors in the series compete aren’t they ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CottonOn said:

The BSPA now need to get their act together and not mess it up again.

Do what they can to improve the product so that we are spared too many borefests in future. It doesn't matter if it was on free to air every night, if it was not worth watching. I assume the purpose of a possible free to air deal is to reach a wider audience and attract footfall to stadiums. The Chairman of the BSPA has said he welcomes Eurosport to our exciting sport. Let's hope that at least a highlights programme could be made as enticing as possible and as freely available as possible.

• Like 1

NKI on the SGP website: 

He said: “I have ridden seven meetings, but I have only ridden against Swindon and Poole. It has been a bit of a weird one, but I have enjoyed it.”

A very good illustration of whats going wrong with British league. Eurosport a clear third behind Sky & BT however as long as its on TV cant complain too much. Now lets just hope the money is spent wisely. Unlikely but we live in hope...

if they really are opening it up to a wider audience then somebody had better start improving the tracks, and fast!

Come and watch this boring, processional racing on tracks that are badly shaped, too narrow and poorly prepared.

Let's hope the money is properly invested this time - in making genuinely decent speedway tracks up and down the country.

Eurosport did a good job with the British Superbike championship and a couple of rounds were shown live on Quest, sometimes in tandem with Eurosport.

Speedway is back on free-to-view TV. That has to be a massive plus.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Oafski said:

Eurosport did a good job with the British Superbike championship and a couple of rounds were shown live on Quest, sometimes in tandem with Eurosport.

That may well be the case but if you look at the sponsors and partners who are behind British Superbike, speedway could only dream of that sort of support. Speedway needs a main sponsor and some serious partners but as long as it carries on being so insular ranging from engines through to parts it is never going to happen. Speedway is not a mainstream sport and most followers of other two wheeled sport certainly show no interest or have not even heard of speedway. Until they have a serious change of direction then it will be an obscure sport on the edge where only ‘anoraks’ follow it. Eurosport cannot change that.

• Like 2

One of the main reasons BT do not want British Speedway is they have paid a fantastic amount of money to show WWE Wrestling next year.They have lost the  tennis Grand Slams which they used to show and look like losing WTA tennis to Amazon who have also got the rights to mens tennis

• Like 1

Wasn't there also talk of a League Sponsorship linked to the new TV deal - or will it be 'The Eurosport British Speedway league(s)?

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

You can only presume that there is significant money on the table to lock yourself in to five years..

Suggesting no other bidding war between TV companies is needed for the BSPA till 2025..

Unless there's a get out clause like when sky binned us off

• Like 2

2 hours ago, woofers said:

Hmmm, haven’t been impressed with Eurosport in the past for all the reasons already stated, patchy coverage and poor commentary.

I have had no problem with BT and thought they did a decent job, promoting UK speedway in the Speedway GP and Moto GP coverage.

Being pedantic, I see that the press release refers to “rounds”. When did league matches / fixtures become “rounds”? “Rounds” are for events when all competitors in the series compete aren’t they ?

In Sweden and Poland they use that term.

24 minutes ago, iainb said:

Unless there's a get out clause like when sky binned us off

Must admit, it did cross my mind to end my comment with something like that... :D

Five years is a long time and lots of decisions will be made by those who run the sport....

And we know how many 'strange decisions' five weeks can bring, let alone five years.. :rolleyes:

Edited by mikebv

3 hours ago, flagrag said:

As I have said previously I do think this is a backwards step for British Speedway especially being tied into a 5yr deal.

Eurosport are a minor tv channel and Speedway will not get the dedication it got from BT and the coverage will not be as comprehensive.

I just hope that the money was so much better than what’s BTs final offer was otherwise an even worse decision.

Dont think you can call them a minor tv channel

Eurosport owns a wide range of rights across many sports but generally does not bid for premium priced rights such as those to major football leagues. However, in 2015 it was awarded rights to broadcast the Olympic Games from 2018 for most of Europe and 2022 for the UK and France in a deal worth €1.3 billion (£922 million).[4] It transmits much of the same footage across many markets, using unseen commentators rather than on-screen presenters so that the same visual feed may be broadcast in multiple languages while holding down production costs.

Eurosport has also expanded its deal with The All England Club to show all the Wimbledon matches live in 16 additional countries. It is a 3-year deal that includes exclusive TV and digital rights. This expands their tennis portfolio to show all four Grand Slams.[5]

The network of channels are available in 54 countries, in 20 different languages, providing viewers with European and international sporting events. Eurosport first launched on European satellites on 5 February 1989. In the 1990s, Eurosport timeshared with The Quantum Channel.

In February 2017, Discovery launched the channel in India, branded as DSport. The channel was made available on various platforms in both SD and HD feeds.[6]

• Like 1

Eurosport has been deemed good enough for snooker - that’s the sport overseen by Barry Hearn, often mentioned as the desired saviour of speedway