British Speedway Forum

This is the best news for British speedway.. Eurosport is a good channel.. Far more reach than BT... available to view on Sky Go if you can...and highlists on Free to air on Quest.. This is news the BSPA should really build on.. whether they will is debatable but they have a great opportunity. 

As mentioned they do a great job with snooker.. I will watch Eurosport snooker even when they broadcast the same pictures simultaneously as BBC as the commentary and studio punditry is much better... Plenty of other good coverage as well of sports... A big step forward this

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mickthemuppet said:

One of the main reasons BT do not want British Speedway is they have paid a fantastic amount of money to show WWE Wrestling next year.They have lost the  tennis Grand Slams which they used to show and look like losing WTA tennis to Amazon who have also got the rights to mens tennis

BT did want to keep British Speedway but the BSPA decided to go with Eurosport offer as it was 5 rather than 3 years and Eurosport pushed about how they could show it free to air in UK along with possible European coverage. I really would like to know who advised the BSPA on the deals and hopefully it was not for a large fee.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both broadcasters

BT Advantages- Household name channel, Lots of promotion and advertising alongside prime sports, Flexible with scheduling to fit in with rain offs, UHD coverage, large social media presence and crucially committed.Happy for clubs to do own filming and post video online . Catch up service a good production budget 

Eurosport Advantages- 5 year deal, possibilities of Pan European coverage, free to air on Quest on limited occasions.

It does worry next year in particular that Speedway will get bumped due to over running more core sports to them and with the Olympics even more so. Also Eurosport do not have a good track record of being the host broadcaster and are better in just taking another broadcasters feed like they do with Snooker,Tennis,Cycling,Olympics 

Edited by flagrag
  • Like 2

is this end for Tatum and Nigel ?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, flagrag said:

BT did want to keep British Speedway but the BSPA decided to go with Eurosport offer as it was 5 rather than 3 years and Eurosport pushed about how they could show it free to air in UK along with possible European coverage. I really would like to know who advised the BSPA on the deals and hopefully it was not for a large fee.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both broadcasters

BT Advantages- Household name channel, Lots of promotion and advertising alongside prime sports, Flexible with scheduling to fit in with rain offs, UHD coverage, large social media presence and crucially committed.Happy for clubs to do own filming and post video online . Catch up service a good production budget 

Eurosport Advantages- 5 year deal, possibilities of Pan European coverage, free to air on Quest on limited occasions.

It does worry next year in particular that Speedway will get bumped due to over running more core sports to them and with the Olympics even more so. Also Eurosport do not have a good track record of being the host broadcaster and are better in just taking another broadcasters feed like they do with Snooker,Tennis,Cycling,Olympics 

Sadie Wigglesworth of Hatfits Limited?

https://www.hatfits.com/who-we-are

Edited by Noodles

At least one thing is certain, speedway fans have been brought up on a history of delayed starts and therefore Eurosport is the perfect channel.

Hope you like watching the back end of tennis events.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

At least one thing is certain, speedway fans have been brought up on a history of delayed starts and therefore Eurosport is the perfect channel.

Hope you like watching the back end of tennis events.

And then think of it from Eurosport’s point of view, and fans of other sports: speedway will ruin their schedules!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, foamfence said:

In Sweden and Poland they use that term.

They may well do.....but we aren’t in Sweden or Poland, and it was a British press release.

3 hours ago, Noodles said:

Sadie Wigglesworth of Hatfits Limited?

https://www.hatfits.com/who-we-are

so links with F1, wonder if Robin Brundle gave Buster the heads up?

13 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Speedway is back on free-to-view TV. That has to be a massive plus.

I’m not so sure. Paying customers fell significantly at televised matches when the broadcast was on a pay channel (when only a proportion of fans had access to it). If a match is live on free-to-air TV I expect the crowd might suffer even more.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NeilWatson said:

I’m not so sure. Paying customers fell significantly at televised matches when the broadcast was on a pay channel (when only a proportion of fans had access to it). If a match is live on free-to-air TV I expect the crowd might suffer even more.

Take your point. Until the details are published, we won't know but I would say (as others have) that a neatly packaged highlights show would work well. Similar to the ones that turn up on ITV4 for motorsport events would  suit most people.

All this talk of highlights shows... history shows that Eurosport put zero effort into compiling highlights

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Take your point. Until the details are published, we won't know but I would say (as others have) that a neatly packaged highlights show would work well. Similar to the ones that turn up on ITV4 for motorsport events would  suit most people.

9 minutes ago, iainb said:

All this talk of highlights shows... history shows that Eurosport put zero effort into compiling highlights

A highlights show requires broadcast quality filming at all venues every week - I can’t imagine the budget stretches to that.