British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, NeilWatson said:

I’m not so sure. Paying customers fell significantly at televised matches when the broadcast was on a pay channel (when only a proportion of fans had access to it). If a match is live on free-to-air TV I expect the crowd might suffer even more.

It could indeed but at the same time you can look at it and say, well now we really have to up our game to get people to come and pay to watch it in person rather than sitting back and taking fans for granted,  The whole it’s on TV debate no longer holds any water as look at the play offs finals over the years, played on a Week night, school the next day, live on TV and yet still the places have been packed out, fans will come if it matters enough and you make it come across as a must see in person event, for the rest of the campaign, it’s not and that’s why terraces are near empty.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Sotonian said:

You can watch them live on the official YouTube channel for free, in HD, with no adverts at all.

Thanks but doubt you can record it. 25 mins of action spread over 3.5 hours needs the fast forward button. I generally start watching it from the start when it’s half way through. 

4 minutes ago, Hodgy said:

Thanks but doubt you can record it. 25 mins of action spread over 3.5 hours needs the fast forward button. I generally start watching it from the start when it’s half way through. 

I often do that, which gives me a Eurosport issue on BT. It seems Eurosport is £4 a month. Or £10 a month if you want to be able to record it!

8 hours ago, stevehone said:

so links with F1, wonder if Robin Brundle gave Buster the heads up?

No doubt - it’s not what you know, but who you know that’s important!

20 hours ago, Sotonian said:

You can watch them live on the official YouTube channel for free, in HD, with no adverts at all.

This refers to watching the GP`s- you can only if you have a VPN from a country which hasn`t a TV contract for the GP`s.

8 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

This refers to watching the GP`s- you can only if you have a VPN from a country which hasn`t a TV contract for the GP`s.

Indeed, luckily my browser has a built-in one which works seamlessly.

1 hour ago, NeilWatson said:

A highlights show requires broadcast quality filming at all venues every week - I can’t imagine the budget stretches to that.

And a person to edit it

2 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

I’m not so sure. Paying customers fell significantly at televised matches when the broadcast was on a pay channel (when only a proportion of fans had access to it). If a match is live on free-to-air TV I expect the crowd might suffer even more.

and rose significantly when the meeting was promoted with reduced admission

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

All this talk of highlights shows... history shows that Eurosport put zero effort into compiling highlights

Eurosport does best the promotional videos advertising upcoming shows than the actual shows themselves

When Screensport shut down in 1992 and speedway fans were promised, we were safe with Eurosport. I haven't believed anyone ever since.

They showed shows that weren't scheduled but not ones that were.

I've heard they've not changed that much.

1 hour ago, iainb said:

All this talk of highlights shows... 

Pretty sure that wouldn't work for me - I like to decide for myself what is a highlight or not, as it is basically the opinion of the person watching.

Have BT retained the SGP's? (sorry if this has been answered somewhere in the previous 32 pages).

Edited by kitten2502
amended

19 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

"Marry in haste, repent at leisure" Well, five years anyway. ;-) Time will tell. I hope it works but 30 years' experience of this network suggests otherwise. 

Oh and by the way Quest and DMAX are indeed on freeview. They are not dedicated sport channels and will probably only be used for overspill when the Eurosport channels are full of their priority sports. They're minor players, as the EFL is finding out with their highlights package even if they are available to more homes than Eurosport. I suspect only the diehard fans will go looking for speedway there or stumble across without switching channels because the viewer is on Quest or D-Max for their normal non-sports programming. 

But then, what would I know eh? Experience in the industry plus study of it for fifty years counts nothing against loudmouthed speedway fans out to make cheap shots ;-)

Oh the irony!

8 minutes ago, kitten2502 said:

Pretty sure that wouldn't work for me - I like to decide for myself what is a highlight or not, as it is basically the opinion of the person watching.

Have BT retained the SGP's? (sorry if this has been answered somewhere in the previous 32 pages).

Yes 2020 and 2021

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, iainb said:

And a person to edit it

and rose significantly when the meeting was promoted with reduced admission

Are you sure about that? In my experience reduced admission mainly attracted regular supporters to watch live rather than on TV, not new fans.

12 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

Are you sure about that? In my experience reduced admission mainly attracted regular supporters to watch live rather than on TV, not new fans.

It also would have attracted those supporters who "pick and choose" meetings, making them one of the matches that became attractive.

Swindon always had good crowds for tv matches with reduced admission, but low crowds when normal admission price.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hodgy said:

Hopefully no. Like or loathe they promote Speedway with passion.  Isn’t that what we continually crave?

Trouble is....there is a fine line between "passion" and "biggin it up"

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

You should try and keep the fans you've got before trying to attract new one... In all honesty British Speedway and Eurosport is probably a good fit... You get the broadcast partner you deserve

• Like 1