British Speedway Forum

Wasn't it BV's Adrian Smith that introduced the media agency to negotiate the new TV deal?!"

4 hours ago, marko said:

It could indeed but at the same time you can look at it and say, well now we really have to up our game to get people to come and pay to watch it in person rather than sitting back and taking fans for granted,  The whole it’s on TV debate no longer holds any water as look at the play offs finals over the years, played on a Week night, school the next day, live on TV and yet still the places have been packed out, fans will come if it matters enough and you make it come across as a must see in person event, for the rest of the campaign, it’s not and that’s why terraces are near empty.

Spot on .

Everything leading up to the play offs is far too low key and treated as nothing more than a qualifier to the finals..

Poole topped the table and lost money..

You can almost guarantee several fans missed a few meetings knowing the play offs were a cast iron certainty as basically the end of the season became 'dead rubbers' for them.

They need to make 'winning the league' mean something as well as winning the play offs...

4 hours ago, Grachan said:

I often do that, which gives me a Eurosport issue on BT. It seems Eurosport is £4 a month. Or £10 a month if you want to be able to record it!

I cancelled BT last year.

They offered me £42 for fast fibre internet and BT TV, but I went with Talktalk instead, getting just fast fibre for £19.99.

I now watch freeview using the BT TV box that I kept and I can record, pause and fast forward etc as normal.

Before BT we had the full Sky package at £82 plus normal broadband at £30 a month!

5 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

A highlights show requires broadcast quality filming at all venues every week - I can’t imagine the budget stretches to that.

Why?  :blink:

You've got a 2 hour-plus live broadcast that's been shown on Eurosports (Say Monday nights as normal).

Then you cut out all the boring nothing happening time.  Trim it down to 30 seconds before the race starts,  a minute-and-a-bit race,  45 seconds-or-so to flash up the result, progressive score, and a slo-mo replay of the start or any passes.    Repeat 15 times.   Throw in a mid-match interview.  Add 5 minutes chat at the beginning, 5 minutes chat at the end, and you've got yourself a nice compact 1 hour highlights programme to show on Quest or DMAX for the free-to-air audience on (say) Wednesday or Thursday.

A newbie isn't going to get excited about watching a long drawn out 2+ hour live match.   But edited down to an hour's highlights all-action programme, it could be very eyecatching.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

I cancelled BT last year.

They offered me £42 for fast fibre internet and BT TV, but I went with Talktalk instead, getting just fast fibre for £19.99.

I now watch freeview using the BT TV box that I kept and I can record, pause and fast forward etc as normal.

Before BT we had the full Sky package at £82 plus normal broadband at £30 a month!

I used to be with Talk Talk, but I left them when they got hacked. I still get calls to this day from people claiming to be Talk Talk and asking me to download software so that they can access my computer to improve my signal.

22 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I used to be with Talk Talk, but I left them when they got hacked. I still get calls to this day from people claiming to be Talk Talk and asking me to download software so that they can access my computer to improve my signal.

To be honest, I regretted it, because I could no longer watch speedway on BT and I have to watch Eurosport (cycling) on the iPad, as the Talktalk fast fibre seems to flicker down frequently and interrupt Eurosport chromecasting to the TV.

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Spot on .

Everything leading up to the play offs is far too low key and treated as nothing more than a qualifier to the finals..

Poole topped the table and lost money..

You can almost guarantee several fans missed a few meetings knowing the play offs were a cast iron certainty as basically the end of the season became 'dead rubbers' for them.

They need to make 'winning the league' mean something as well as winning the play offs...

Winning the regular League will never mean anything while the play offs are in place.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CottonOn said:

Why?  :blink:

You've got a 2 hour-plus live broadcast that's been shown on Eurosports (Say Monday nights as normal).

Then you cut out all the boring nothing happening time.  Trim it down to 30 seconds before the race starts,  a minute-and-a-bit race,  45 seconds-or-so to flash up the result, progressive score, and a slo-mo replay of the start or any passes.    Repeat 15 times.   Throw in a mid-match interview.  Add 5 minutes chat at the beginning, 5 minutes chat at the end, and you've got yourself a nice compact 1 hour highlights programme to show on Quest or DMAX for the free-to-air audience on (say) Wednesday or Thursday.

A newbie isn't going to get excited about watching a long drawn out 2+ hour live match.   But edited down to an hour's highlights all-action programme, it could be very eyecatching.

If you’re suggesting just highlights of the TV matches I agree,  I understood that a ‘whole sport’ highlights prog was being suggested.

One of the or problems is the league in its present structure isn’t big enough to have a play-off structure in place.

If you wanted to keep it why not seed the winner of the league direct to the final (so at least there is some reward for finishing top) and then have second and third in a play-off to see who faces them.

3 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

If you’re suggesting just highlights of the TV matches I agree,  I understood that a ‘whole sport’ highlights prog was being suggested.

Don't all the teams have a company filming their meetings?

If not, they should be made to..

BV's has a tremendous picture quality and could be used for a highlights package..

One of the issues with TV is how few riders actually get noticed by anyone curiously watching..

Some Premiership riders will have been on TV only once or twice this year (and maybe even not at all). Championship and NL riders don't even get a chance unless they double/treble up..

Therefore, a whole sport highlights package can only be a good thing..

Many riders will deliver some great entertainment weekly so the sport needs to get this action out to the public every week, meaning that even if the main live meeting is a bit dull, you still have a package of great, exciting racing..

The 60 second football round ups on Sky and BT concentrate on the matches goals and controversial incidents so Speedway should follow suit..

Most mundane meetings will have at least one "very good race", often by the same riders who are renowned more for passing than gating, so get this one race per meeting out there each week, and start to build individual rider profile's and reputation as racers, which can only be good for their own sponsorship as well as getting the team they ride for noticed..

Get the 'exciting' riders noticed and the teams can then build marketing on the back of their names...

And five to ten minutes of passing, passing and more passing, will help dispel the "first out of the gate wins" reputation..

Throw in a bit of 'handbags' too, where it happens, and you will maybe getting those watching sitting up and taking notice..?

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Don't all the teams have a company filming their meetings?

If not, they should be made to..

BV's has a tremendous picture quality and could be used for a highlights package..

One of the issues with TV is how few riders actually get noticed by anyone curiously watching..

Some Premiership riders will have been on TV only once or twice this year (and maybe even not at all). Championship and NL riders don't even get a chance unless they double/treble up..

Therefore, a whole sport highlights package can only be a good thing..

Many riders will deliver some great entertainment weekly so the sport needs to get this action out to the public every week, meaning that even if the main live meeting is a bit dull, you still have a package of great, exciting racing..

The 60 second football round ups on Sky and BT concentrate on the matches goals and controversial incidents so Speedway should follow suit..

Most mundane meetings will have at least one "very good race", often by the same riders who are renowned more for passing than gating, so get this one race per meeting out there each week, and start to build individual rider profile's and reputation as racers, which can only be good for their own sponsorship as well as getting the team they ride for noticed..

Get the riders noticed and the teams can then build marketing on the back of their names...

I think you are over estimating the effort that Eurosport will put into a highlights show. I'm sure it will just be a re-run of the live match with chunks cut out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I think you are over estimating the effort that Eurosport will put into a highlights show. I'm sure it will just be a re-run of the live match with chunks cut out.

Quite possibly..

I presume though they will have discussed with Eurosport what the highlights package will consist of?

No point showing highlights of something that didn't contain any as all that will do is turn even more people off..

Much better to take one or two heats from a dull live meeting, show the result and a couple of interviews, then spend the rest of the programme showing the best races from each meeting that week from around the country with rider and team manager interviews..

Every team then gets a mention and riders start to get noticed..

3 hours ago, Grachan said:

FROM what I hear a magazine-style highlights programme is being discussed and would be a great addition to the actual TV coverage

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

FROM what I hear a magazine-style highlights programme is being discussed and would be a great addition to the actual TV coverage

Good news if it happens..

A chance to create a few 'characters' and maybe get some riders profiles increased which can be used as 'drawcards' going forward..

There are a good few exciting riders who ply their trade in the UK so showing their races weekly can only be good for the sport overall..

And the NSS, Peterborough, Somerset, Scunthorpe and Swindon in particular (there may be more), seem to deliver plenty of good racing most weeks so there shouldn't be any shortage of footage to showcase the sport in a good, positive light...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1