British Speedway Forum

18 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WOULD be nice if it was studio based with guests including riders, promoters, etc.

Always looks good in Poland when they do the same with their two channels who cover the top league....

Cant understand a word of it mind...:D

Funny but when I watch Polish speedway i always have to have the sound on even though I have no idea what their on about. Lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bruno said:

Funny but when I watch Polish speedway i always have to have the sound on even though I have no idea what their on about. Lol

What is the Polish for dirtometer?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bruno said:

They kept mentioning 'Droogy" every race which made me have all sorts of thoughts...

Seemingly its 'druga' and it means 'second'..  :D

2 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Screwdriverski.....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mikebv said:

Screwdriverski.....

Nah. We must be at cross purposes. Must be Philipski

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Srubokret ?:)

6 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

Srubokret ?:)

Now let's have it right...

The Dude would be proud of me!
Edited by False dawn
  • Haha 2

I don't understand why riders who race in Poland every year don't learn the language. Is it too difficult? I notice riders like Emil, Zagar, Vaculik, Milik etc all speak Polish when being interviewed...Do the Slavic countries have a similar language?

I feel sorry for the little bald Polish guy who chats to a Brit, Aussie, Dane or Swede and has to interpret it all back to the viewer, while the riders' hanging around looking bored!

1. Brits are riotously bad at learning other languages ,there seems to be an arrogance that everyone else can speak English. 

2. Slavic languages(ie Polish, Czech, Russian ) similar. NOT Estonian, Finnish, German ... 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Terry said:

I don't understand why riders who race in Poland every year don't learn the language. Is it too difficult? I notice riders like Emil, Zagar, Vaculik, Milik etc all speak Polish when being interviewed...Do the Slavic countries have a similar language?

I feel sorry for the little bald Polish guy who chats to a Brit, Aussie, Dane or Swede and has to interpret it all back to the viewer, while the riders' hanging around looking bored!

Woffinden speaks some Polish does he not?

9 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Woffinden speaks some Polish does he not?

True, at least he makes an effort. Madsen also said a few words in Torun.

Dziekuje.

Danes tend to speak other languages as no-one wants to speak Danish....incredibly ugly mumbled tongue, even the Danes apologize for speaking it!!

27 minutes ago, Icicle said:

1. Brits are riotously bad at learning other languages ,there seems to be an arrogance that everyone else can speak English. 

2. Slavic languages(ie Polish, Czech, Russian ) similar. NOT Estonian, Finnish, German ... 

I was speaking to a Polish colleague about that and how they all seem to speak such good English while we struggle with other Languages.

He put it down to the fact that they are exposed to English constantly from an early age in the form of films and popular music so it was easier for them to learn whereas we are not exposed to to foreign languages in mainstream media or entertainment.

• Like 2

Just now, AFCB Wildcat said:

I was speaking to a Polish colleague about that and how they all seem to speak such good English while we struggle with other Languages.

He put it down to the fact that they are exposed to English constantly from an early age in the form of films and popular music so it was easier for them to learn whereas we are not exposed to to foreign languages in mainstream media or entertainment.

That does help...also Polish is difficult..Brits panic at so many "Z"s and "sh(SZ) & ch(CZ) sounds