British Speedway Forum

19 minutes ago, flagrag said:

Method From what I have been told by colleagues at  BT they were very interested in keeping British Speedway but Eurosport put in a higher bid and could offer pan Europe coverage which the BSPA liked as they hope to attract some Polish sponsors  as well.

I just hope that everyone realises where Speedway sits in Eurosport priorities well down the list behind Cycling,Tennis,Athletics,Football,Swimming ,Snooker and Olympics also they only have two channels to show it on so will be interesting to see their scheduling

BT’s loss, they wouldn’t have had to put a massive amount more on the table. They knew the Eurosport offer and could have easily matched it. I don’t believe the polish sponsors will materialise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flagrag said:

Method From what I have been told by colleagues at  BT they were very interested in keeping British Speedway but Eurosport put in a higher bid and could offer pan Europe coverage which the BSPA liked as they hope to attract some Polish sponsors  as well.

I just hope that everyone realises where Speedway sits in Eurosport priorities well down the list behind Cycling,Tennis,Athletics,Football,Swimming ,Snooker and Olympics also they only have two channels to show it on so will be interesting to see their scheduling

Is Quest linked with Eurosport/Discovery, that could be go to channel for when there are clashes.

15 minutes ago, AJK86 said:

Is Quest linked with Eurosport/Discovery, that could be go to channel for when there are clashes.

Yes Quest and Discovery etc are all part of the Eurosport stable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Polish sponsors for British speedway..... that would be interesting to see how it develops.

They've already got links with IOW and KL (The Chairman) and possibly others.

I think there is the slow but sure realisation amongst the Polish hierarchy that their dominance - particularly financially - is doing little to further the sport Europe-wide. To be honest if the Poles paid riders 50% of what they currently pay they would not lose any riders BUT it may get some of them to reconsider where else they race.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, flagrag said:

It's pretty clear that the BSPA have once more gone simply for the 'wonga', irrespective of the quality of 'service' that will in all probability result.The needs of the sports' supporters as always are secondary. Does nobody realise that it is possible to be a keen viewer of speedway both live AND on TV? 

The list of priorities is daunting and it's pretty obvious we'll only get airtime when they've got nothing better to show. The Olympic period will be a total non-starter for speedway. I fear we are set for more haphazard scheduling but if Eurosport Events are originating the feed themselves it would be stupid to treat the coverage as they have done with that originated by Eurosport Poland. 

Put simply, if they're getting a cheap programme off a sister network they may not be bothered when, if and how much they show as with the One Sport Events they may treat showing it casually, but if they've spent thousands going to a track to make it themselves they may treat it with more respect.

Do we have a guaranteed number of meetings?

Can you see Polish sponsors being remotely interested in the UK market? How many actually sell to this country? Fogo, Nice, Get Well? 

As for the GPs, lord help us if they do get their hands on again. The memory of their previous mishandling surely isn't forgotten? How much is that Eurosport Player again? 

Sadly it's all about the cash and not seeing the less obvious benefits.

While I'm here, the ESS in Sweden, the equivalent of the BSPA have a live streaming service which has seen every Elitserien match covered this year, with up to six matches shown weekly, all but one with single cameras. 

The cost? SEK 189 - about £16.

No, that's per month, not match. It was possible to watch over 80 matches this year for under £80. 

Has the Eurosport deal been confirmed ?.

12 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

While I'm here, the ESS in Sweden, the equivalent of the BSPA have a live streaming service which has seen every Elitserien match covered this year, with up to six matches shown weekly, all but one with single cameras. 

The cost? SEK 189 - about £16.

No, that's per month, not match. It was possible to watch over 80 matches this year for under £80. 

Id pay for that.

I wouldnt expect Sky Sports quality coverage for a live stream at that price point, a single camera with decent quality audio would do me.

To me a live stream service would be the equivalent to a radio stream - a way of following my team when they are away and keeping an eye in on what the rest of the matches are doing, rather than something I would put up on the main TV and subject everyone else in the house to every night.

Although if we keep fixed race nights then the live stream would loose its appeal to me, as I wouldnt want to try and stream every match all at the same time.

Edited by Method

Just now, Method said:

Id pay for that.

I wouldnt expect Sky Sports quality coverage for a live stream at that price point, a single camera with decent quality audio would do me.

To me a live stream service would be the equivalent to a radio stream - a way of following my team when they are away and keeping an eye in on what the rest of the matches are doing.

Although if we keep fixed race nights then the live stream would loose its appeal to me, as I wouldnt want to try and stream every match all at the same time.

They are all available on demand. You choose your match and watch anytime. The captions were appalling and the commentary and vast majority of interviews were in Swedish but overall it was very watchable and a unique opportunity to watch every match in a league campaign. This may be heresy from someone who's made his own share of speedway broadcasts but I didn't miss the extra cameras. After all, in the stands or on the terraces I only have one view.....

3 hours ago, flagrag said:

We can only hope that Eurosport will up their game, and not start showing some of the qualifiers or European Ch. or whatever it was from Ht17 !! Money talks unfortunately.

5 minutes ago, Buttons said:

We can only hope that Eurosport will up their game, and not start showing some of the qualifiers or European Ch. or whatever it was from Ht17 !! Money talks unfortunately.

Sadly the truth re Eurosport is - so many sports, so few channels. 

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Yes Quest and Discovery etc are all part of the Eurosport stable.

Not quite. Eurosport is owned by US media company Discovery Inc. The Discovery Channel is their major American channel. Eurosport is their worldwide sports outlet.

• Like 1

Anyway if the deal is done we simply have to live with the consequences and after a year of potentially crazy scheduling and huge gaps in coverage, meetings being joined when 80% over  and the prospect in future years of SGP fighting for a place on Saturday night's schedules again we'll be able to say this time next year. "Well, only four more years". 

It can be such a lovely sport but to be honest, it gets what it deserves through its short-termism and general stupidity of those allegedly running it. It's like asking your backstreet car dealer to front up a Maclaren dealership in Mayfair ;-)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Anyway if the deal is done we simply have to live with the consequences and after a year of potentially crazy scheduling and huge gaps in coverage, meetings being joined when 80% over  and the prospect in future years of SGP fighting for a place on Saturday night's schedules again we'll be able to say this time next year. "Well, only four more years". 

It can be such a lovely sport but to be honest, it gets what it deserves through its short-termism and general stupidity of those allegedly running it. It's like asking your backstreet car dealer to front up a Maclaren dealership in Mayfair ;-)

Eurosport haven't got the SGPs.

9 hours ago, iainb said:

God help us if Eurosport get hold of the rights, they are and always have been a joke. I missed the WU21 earlier in the year as I didn't realise it was on Eurosport, they showed a 1 hour "highlights" show of that event prior to the live event last weekend, I thought I'd watch that as I'd missed it first time around... all they did was show it as live from 1 hour before it finished, consequently they joined it for heat 19, 20, the 2 semi's and final, zero effort went into producing a proper highlights show. I know beggars can't be choosers but sometimes going with the highest bidder isn't always the best option.

They are sometimes a bit poor aren't they with their coverage.. 

It just appears that the later in the day things happen the less their timings are maintained..

And as you say, even if they join an event later than the start, they still only show the same action in the later broadcasts, almost as if what they didnt show didn't happen.. :D

Do a great job with TDF and Superbikes but this might be due to the morning/mid afternoon times in which they run..?

Lets hope there's not a second round match that goes to five sets late afternoon from the Lapland Open scheduled in before the Speedway... :D

• Haha 1