British Speedway Forum

18 minutes ago, a4poster said:

Or the comedy channel.

That's an excellent suggestion a4poster.

2 hours ago, moxey63 said:

I'd love Screensport to bid for it.

In a way they are since they merged with Eurosport in the early 90s.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, flagrag said:

Racers and royals That would be good but honestly do not see that happening especially with Poland unless PZN change their view of having the coverage officially available in the UK.

I do wonder why the viewing figures are so much better for the GPs and Speedway world on BT than when Eurosport had it last, it’s down to commitment with proper modern studio presentation and not knowing whether it would be on TV or whether the Tennis had over run or they had changed to another sport 

Not sure you are correct about Polish coverage- unless you are referring to technical matters . Freesports showed the Extraleague on Sunday`s in 2017(don`t think it was 2018) and that was before every match was shown live. I made a mistake in calculating the number of matches in my post- if a Polish match was shown on Friday and Sunday that would be with play-offs around 34 matches and roughly the same with Sweden with a Tuesday and Thursday match. Would that be overkill ??  not sure.

15 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Not sure you are correct about Polish coverage- unless you are referring to technical matters . Freesports showed the Extraleague on Sunday`s in 2017(don`t think it was 2018) and that was before every match was shown live. I made a mistake in calculating the number of matches in my post- if a Polish match was shown on Friday and Sunday that would be with play-offs around 34 matches and roughly the same with Sweden with a Tuesday and Thursday match. Would that be overkill ??  not sure.

Every live match shown on TV whether in Europe or GB will result in the attendance being lower at any track promoting the same evening in this country

• Like 2

12 hours ago, flagrag said:

Iwright71- Can you please remind me which match this season that BT have bumped off their channels to show something else ? The only thing I am aware of was a meeting a few weeks ago which was to be televised but then the home promotion asked for it not to be shown

It was Wolves vs Kings Lynn. Not aware that the home promotion asked for it to be shown. Not sure if this is even possible. It would open a whole can of worms if  promotions were able to cancel TV coverage at their own request.

5 minutes ago, mickthemuppet said:

Every live match shown on TV whether in Europe or GB will result in the attendance being lower at any track promoting the same evening in this country

Not sure how that statement refers to my post- The British promoters have run matches against the live BT coverage of the Premiership. If BT lost the domestic coverage and went for Poland and Sweden instead then it`s all fair in love and war !! I could certainly write their publicity.

" Watch Tai Woffinden and other world stars racing in the world`s top leagues every week on BT sport "

But I thought the Polish League hierarchy were beginning to realise that their ultra dominance of European (World?) speedway is doing nothing to assist the sport in those other countries, so they are looking to further develop relationships with the British leagues eg Buster Chapman and the IOW?! - through potential sponsorship on the  back of the Eurosport deal.

Its no good being the ultra-best if riders aren't coming through from other countries to supplement their team line-ups.

Edited by Skidder1

Go with Eurosport. 

1. More money 

2. Less people in the UK have it, so for the TV meetings still might get a bigger crowd than on BT (This one could be huge for clubs) 

3. Potential sponsors 

4. If it is a 5 year deal that helps the future of the league. 

45 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

But I thought the Polish League hierarchy were beginning to realise that their ultra dominance of European (World?) speedway is doing nothing to assist the sport in those other countries, so they are looking to further develop relationships with the British leagues eg Buster Chapman and the IOW?! - through potential sponsorship on the  back of the Eurosport deal.

Its no good being the ultra-best if riders aren't coming through from other countries to supplement their team line-ups.

Not sure if it is as you summarise. A Polish suggestion to include foreign u 21 riders at 6 and 7 in the Extraleague,used the fact that Poland could give rides to the best non-Poles which would give them a big opportunity to improve. This was a suggestion because some think that there are not enough Polish quality youngsters coming through- which others have poo pooed. There are improving youngsters and this proposal would do nothing to improve them denying them rides.

2 hours ago, poolebolton said:

Go with Eurosport. 

1. More money 

2. Less people in the UK have it, so for the TV meetings still might get a bigger crowd than on BT (This one could be huge for clubs) 

3. Potential sponsors 

4. If it is a 5 year deal that helps the future of the league. 

More money for who ? And what would / should they do with it ? 

Less people in the UK have it, so for the TV meetings still might get a bigger crowd than on BT (This one could be huge for clubs) 

I would say a lot more people in this country have access to Eurosport than BT Sport. Eurosport comes as part of any basic sky package let alone even subscribing to sky sports. Just going by the viewing figures alone for football across the platforms, sky sports regularly has viewing figures in the 100s of thousands for any live football match, whereas as BT sport can only muster up viewing figures in the 10s of thousands even for champions leagues games, thus showing far more people have Sky than BT, therefore far more people have Eurosport than BT

19 minutes ago, woofers said:

More money for who ? And what would / should they do with it ? 

For teams. Hopefully, better riders. Famously said by Matt Ford if Sky money was still around the big riders would be here. 

41 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

For teams. Hopefully, better riders. Famously said by Matt Ford if Sky money was still around the big riders would be here. 

DOUBT that, most aren't even doing Sweden next year. Some riders in Poland rumoured to be on over two grand a point plus six figure signing on fees.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

So we repeat the error of earning the money then handing it straight over to riders to have glorified practice sessions while their best efforts and bikes are elsewhere? 

Of course with Eurosport NOT being a premium sports channel it has far more subscribers, mainly those getting it as part of a basic pay-TV package but I suspect BT get higher viewing figures. Many people receive Eurosport without ever bothering to watch it. 

A five year deal is fine so long as it's a benefit and not blocking better options over the five years. If, somehow the sport were to see an upturn it would be locked-into a bargain deal. 

Regarding potential sponsors, I take it you're referring to the claim that we may tap into Polish sponsors. Why would Polish brands like Nice, Get Well, Mr Garden, Fogo want to advertise to the UK? 

Eurosport's inability to maintain a stable schedule, which has been the case for 30 years, plus its lack of channels and contracts like the Olympics to be taken care of in high season it threatens to be a highly disjointed service, although hopefully not lamentable enough to start live coverage at heat 19!

There is one aspect of the BT deal that is overlooked. BT take speedway seriously in its channel promotions. One moment you can be watching a top football premiership match, the next it's the next speedway event being mentioned. There were  regular promotions for speedway during their Champions League coverage including the final. You see a constant flow of promos for major sports, and speedway's right in there. I wouldn't liike to even try to estimate the cost of having to pay for that publicity. 

• Like 7

DON'T forget that Eurosport is or will be a very different animal under the wing of Discovery who, apparently, have access to 56 countries. That might appeal to Polish sponsors.

• Like 2