British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, The Cheese said:

If Eurosport are covering it next year then hopefully their camera work is better than BT's has been in recent weeks.

Agree with that. Heat 3 at Swindon was absolute class last night but when I watched it back on the tele it just looked ok. Shoddy as hell.

12 minutes ago, thecoombdog said:

Agree with that. Heat 3 at Swindon was absolute class last night but when I watched it back on the tele it just looked ok. Shoddy as hell.

The camera work director was shocking.

• Like 3

Here we go again. It happened when SKY were about to ditch us, people saying BT (who were coming on board) would offer better coverage. Now, with the prospect of going to Eurosport, BT is rubbish.

Shoddy camera work is nothing compared to a sport so impacted by the weather in the PO semis, the TV network stepped up a gear to provide coverage of the restaging.

Those expecting better from Eurosport, remember, we're talking about a network who has never been good at meeting programme schedules. I've found they'll list something as being on at a certain time, and you're left waiting and waiting.

We never had it so good as when SKY treated us like a proper sport. But a build-up of postponements and costs the company incurred, the tipping point being the ELRC when the Coventry promoter was having a "Mardy" on the morning the cameras were being set up.

That probably leaves us where we are right now.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Here we go again. It happened when SKY were about to ditch us, people saying BT (who were coming on board) would offer better coverage. Now, with the prospect of going to Eurosport, BT is rubbish.

Shoddy camera work is nothing compared to a sport so impacted by the weather in the PO semis, the TV network stepped up a gear to provide coverage of the restaging.

Those expecting better from Eurosport, remember, we're talking about a network who has never been good at meeting programme schedules. I've found they'll list something as being on at a certain time, and you're left waiting and waiting.

We never had it so good as when SKY treated us like a proper sport. But a build-up of postponements and costs the company incurred, the tipping point being the ELRC when the Coventry promoter was having a "Mardy" on the morning the cameras were being set up.

To be fair, the camera work on BT lately has been frustrating. Sometimes I instinctively find myself leaning forward to try and look down the side of the screen to see what is happening in the close racing they have just cut away from in order to follow the leader. And riders zooming past followed by one second of empty track? What's that all about?

Would rather have BT than Eurosport, though, who I suspect will be a shambles, as they generally are. I can't believe some people are championing it as a good move.

You are right about Sky. We had proper coverage then.

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 5

On 10/16/2019 at 11:21 AM, Terry said:

Never gonna happen. They're liked by the TV companies and most fans.

I would question 'liked by most fans', and suggest most fans put up with Pearson, but would stop short of saying they like his commentary…. But I guess speedway is a 'mates business' so whoever is filming I assume he will get the gig.

6 hours ago, TheReturn said:

I would question 'liked by most fans', and suggest most fans put up with Pearson, but would stop short of saying they like his commentary…. But I guess speedway is a 'mates business' so whoever is filming I assume he will get the gig.

I am ok with Pearson (and Tatum). If you think Pearson is bad, be careful what you wish for....... there are plenty below him, you might end up with one.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TheReturn said:

Nigel is freelance so he can work for whoever he wants , if BT lose the contract then I'd assume that Kelvin & probably Natalie will not be kept on I wouldn't suppose they'd ask Kelvin for his thoughts on  Saracens v Bath so he'd be available for whoever picks up the contract. I'd certainly prefer Tatum over Sam " Straightaway " Ermolenko 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:21 AM, Terry said:

Never gonna happen. They're liked by the TV companies and most fans.

I much prefer Nige and Kelv to the monotonous commentary from Dave Goddard on free sports.

I quite like Dave Goddard & Freesport  ,   but find Nigel & Kelv    okay but a bit shouty 

you cant please everyone

36 minutes ago, djr said:

I quite like Dave Goddard & Freesport  ,   but find Nigel & Kelv    okay but a bit shouty 

you cant please everyone

I was maybe a bit harsh on Mr Goddard. It's probably because he's on his own doing the Elitserien. I prefer it when there's a co-commentator. (Even Sam!)

On 10/16/2019 at 6:06 PM, RPNY said:

Should get Dave Norris back he was a very good co commentator 

Oh yes, he was great :D

12 hours ago, DSC67 said:

I'd assume that Kelvin & probably Natalie will not be kept on 

Natalie Quirk does other stuff for BT Sport and I think was working for them before they got the Speedway

• Like 1

21 hours ago, moxey63 said:

I agree with that but there still isn't an excuse for the poor camera work in recent weeks. Showing the leader well clear whilst there's a good battle in 3rd/4th, focusing on empty track for 5 seconds etc is basic stuff.

But yes, overall I'd prefer to stay with BT who've done a good job for the sport. Constantly having to change the schedule during these play-offs clearly wouldn't have been ideal for them. And advertising during other big events such as the Champions League was certainly a bonus, I don't recall Sky ever doing that.

Eurosport as you suggest don't exactly have a good reputation, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how they handle things.

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Natalie Quirk does other stuff for BT Sport and I think was working for them before they got the Speedway

Yes she worked on National League football for BT before.

2 hours ago, The Cheese said:

I agree with that but there still isn't an excuse for the poor camera work in recent weeks. Showing the leader well clear whilst there's a good battle in 3rd/4th, focusing on empty track for 5 seconds etc is basic stuff.

But yes, overall I'd prefer to stay with BT who've done a good job for the sport. Constantly having to change the schedule during these play-offs clearly wouldn't have been ideal for them. And advertising during other big events such as the Champions League was certainly a bonus, I don't recall Sky ever doing that.

Eurosport as you suggest don't exactly have a good reputation, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how they handle things.

Yes she worked on National League football for BT before.

YOU are assuming it will be on a Eurosport channel...